Bad Alternator at 25k miles? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Bad Alternator at 25k miles?

Bigjerm
06-18-2008, 03:10 PM
SO.... I go to crank my Jeep this afternoon to leave work and it doesnt crank. Dash lights come on, gauges move but all I get is a single click. I get a co-worker to jump me off and everything is good to go. Drive home not using the radio, fan, ect and I park it. I turn it off, take the key out, put the key back in and crank it and it barely cranks up... It did the barely crank thing this morning as well. So off to the dealer I go in the morning! Wonder what they will say about all the dirt in the engine bay (gonna clean it some tonight for good measure).

Stats on the Jeep:
-25,XXX miles
-First time it happened was this morning
-I have a winch, rocklights and a CB but all are off and are wired to the battery

Ideas? I figure not the battery because my battery indicator light has not come on but I know it works because it has come on in the past once or twice while winching and I know Mike has his come on once at Tellico while winching. So I think its a bad alternator. It has been a few weeks since i went off road and even then nothing extreme, no deep water or mud.

mcnaught6
06-18-2008, 03:23 PM
how far did you drive after getting the jump start? if it was very far, and the alternator wasn't working, then you would have been running off of just the battery the whole time and it would have died on you if you were going very far.

the battery is really only used when you start a vehicle, then it runs off the alternator.

since it didn't die on you while you were moving, i'm betting the battery is toast.

take it to an autozone, or o'reilly's store. either one should be able to test both the alternator and the battery for you FOR FREE!!! which is something a dealer won't do.

jocrazy0
06-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Can't say. I have 19 months & 40,000+ miles on mine and no issues with the battery or alternator. BUT, I have heard anecdotally that others have had battery issues (such as outright battery failures) with theirs. Battery checks are usually free at O'Reilly's. Take it somewhere where it can be tested. At least Mopar will prorate your battery under warranty if it is bad (unless they claim it was the winching that caused it to fail). Still it is cheaper to replace the battery than the alternator anyday.

Bigjerm
06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
yeah i dont know why I thought it was the alternator... it would have died for sure on the way home.

anyways went to autozone and sure enough dead battery cel so got it replaced.

crypnite
06-18-2008, 07:04 PM
how far did you drive after getting the jump start? if it was very far, and the alternator wasn't working, then you would have been running off of just the battery the whole time and it would have died on you if you were going very far.

the battery is really only used when you start a vehicle, then it runs off the alternator.

since it didn't die on you while you were moving, i'm betting the battery is toast.

take it to an autozone, or o'reilly's store. either one should be able to test both the alternator and the battery for you FOR FREE!!! which is something a dealer won't do.

And that's why I live for these forums. I learn all the little stuff that will make life easier when it comes time to troubleshoot!