Adjusting Parking Brake Cable???? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Adjusting Parking Brake Cable????

RotorHead
06-13-2008, 10:40 AM
My parking brake is almost useless. I have to pull it all the way to the top to have any effect.

Does anybody know how to adjust the cable? I found an exert from the FSM out there on the internet on adjusting the brake itself, but I can't find anything about adjusting the cable. From what I can tell, you have to pull the center console. Anybody got any ideas? Also, is there any chance you can adjust the parking brake the old fashion way by applying the brakes in reverse? In this case you would have to apply the parking brake.

Also if anybody could enlighten me on the adjusting tool mentioned below.

WITH ADJUSTING TOOL (ROTOR INSTALLED)

Adjustment can be made with a standard brake gauge or with adjusting tool. Adjustment is performed with the complete brake assembly installed on the backing plate.

1. Be sure parking brake lever is fully released.

2. Raise vehicle so rear wheels can be rotated freely.

3. Remove plug from each access hole in brake support plates.

4. Loosen parking brake cable adjustment nut until there is slack in front cable.

5. Insert adjusting tool through support plate access hole and engage tool in teeth of adjusting screw star wheel .

6. Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when wheel is rotated.

7. Push and hold adjuster lever away from star wheel with thin screwdriver.

8. Back off adjuster screw star wheel until brake drag is eliminated.

9. Repeat adjustment at opposite wheel. Be sure adjustment is equal at both wheels.

10. Install support plate access hole plugs.

11. Adjust parking brake cable and lower vehicle.

12. Depress park brake lever and make sure park brakes hold the vehicle stationary.

13. Release park brake lever.

Dnmeistr
06-13-2008, 03:46 PM
You could try rolling backwards and hitting the parking brake, the adjusting wheel is supposed to auto adjust that way. The tool they are referring to is nothing more than a piece of flat metal with a 30 deg bend in it, you can get them at any auto parts store, a large flat head screw driver will do the same thing in a pinch. Adjusting the star wheel manually will be a lot faster than driving backwards :D Basically a drum brake setup but with drum brakes inside a disc rotor. Shine a light through the access hole and you will see the star wheel and the lever they are talking about.

RotorHead
06-13-2008, 04:03 PM
You could try rolling backwards and hitting the parking brake, the adjusting wheel is supposed to auto adjust that way. The tool they are referring to is nothing more than a piece of flat metal with a 30 deg bend in it, you can get them at any auto parts store, a large flat head screw driver will do the same thing in a pinch. Adjusting the star wheel manually will be a lot faster than driving backwards :D Basically a drum brake setup but with drum brakes inside a disc rotor. Shine a light through the access hole and you will see the star wheel and the lever they are talking about.

Thanks. Any idea on adjusting the cable?

Dnmeistr
06-13-2008, 10:19 PM
No idea on the cable. From the below step seems the nut would be located near the parking brake lever.

4. Loosen parking brake cable adjustment nut until there is slack in front cable.

priell3
06-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Hopefully the parking brake setup is better than that on the KJ.

A lot of KJs had a parking brake lever that you could pull all the way back with very little effort and you could still drive off in it. I had my lever assembly replaced under warranty.

BeerMonkeY
06-24-2008, 06:18 PM
mine just recently started working very poor then the other day the cable snapped