AR Optics Choice?? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: AR Optics Choice??

rooster
01-21-2010, 02:36 PM
OK Im totally confused. I picked up a new Spikes Tactical AR and I have no idea what kind of optics to get. Please help if you have any insight.

Im leaning to the EoTech or Aimpoint. Most likely the EoTech although I like the small size of the Aimpoint. EoTechs website was no help. Which optics do I need?

EoTech 512 or the 557 for the 223 ammo?

Are they both red dot?

What the hells the difference?

Jaws
01-21-2010, 04:25 PM
OK Im totally confused. I picked up a new Spikes Tactical AR and I have no idea what kind of optics to get. Please help if you have any insight.

Im leaning to the EoTech or Aimpoint. Most likely the EoTech although I like the small size of the Aimpoint. EoTechs website was no help. Which optics do I need?

Are they both red dot?

You can use the 557 with night vision and I believe it can go 30 ft underwater. If you don't need that go with the 512. Both are red dots.

TCOTTON
01-21-2010, 06:08 PM
You can use the 557 with night vision and I believe it can go 30 ft underwater. If you don't need that go with the 512. Both are red dots.

And the underwater part is critical since most of us swim with our AR's.:D Great option if your a soldier.

Depends on what you plan on doing with it. If it's a 16" and you don't plan on shooting out past 300yrds then either the aimpoint or the Eotech are good choices. Unless Eotech has cleaned up the reticle many people claim there fuzzy, my 552 is but it doesn't bother me to much. With the eotech you will have a wider field of view at 100 yrds. If you plan on using it for home defense then either red dot will work great. Really comes down to personal preference.

For my 18" game guns I use a Burris XTR 1-4 and a Meopta K dot 1-4 which allows me to adjust the power and reach out reasonably to 400-500 yrds at 4x power and then back to 1x power for close up work and anything in between.

It really does come down to the rifle (Length of barrel primirly), I would not expect to be doing precision long range work with a 16" and a red dot where as you can with 18's and up and a variable powered scope. And again personal preference. The variable power scopes I mentioned and the red dots all run pretty close to the same price so again it comes down to personal preference.

I forgot to mention you can also purchase a magnifier for the red dots which will allow to reach out farther, but it's like looking through a straw.

I would also take a look at the burris red dots a lot cheaper with excellent build quality and reliability.

Hope this helps.

rooster
01-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys for the responce. With so many models to choose from I didnt know which would be correct. My AR has a 16" barrel and its a 223. So with the:
EoTech its a 512 or the 557
Aimpoint? Which model?
Burris, never heard of it but Im googling it now

Im only using it for sport, 100 yards or less. Mostly range shoots, close range 25-100 yards and popping cans.

Jaws
01-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Bushnell holosights are the same as the cheaper Eotechs but without the armored shroud and about $100 cheaper. Would be fine for your purpose as a range toy.

JKrazed
01-21-2010, 07:27 PM
I've used both. Aimpoints are good. EOTechs are good. Trijicon also offers some really good optics if you are into the smalller footprint.

TCOTTON
01-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Here's the burris that I have on my home defense ar. You really can't go wrong with this scope for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Burris-Speed-XTS-135-1x-35mm-Matte/dp/B002E6V1BU

Here's some forums where you can pick stuff up second hand:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

and AR15.com

JohnnyWalker
01-21-2010, 09:07 PM
I prefer an EoTech over the 68 (Aimpoint) or ACOG (Trijicon), but I have different needs. I like the EoTech because it provides REALLY quick close quarters target acquisition, but I'm still accurate at 400 meters. Handy at the jobby-job.

I'm guessing that you'll adapt to whatever you get, Rooster. Be sure to print out some Lane Kiffin targets!

kerryp
01-22-2010, 10:21 AM
good thread, I have been struggling with what to put on my new LMT since I have never really purchased optics. I'm not looking for a red dot or the like, I want an inexpensive small frame scope that I can use to hunt hogs / varmints. Anyone recommed a decent 'cheap' scope that maybe goes up to 4x?

TCOTTON
01-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Millet DMS 1-4 Alot of guys use these for 3gun and are very happy with them. New they run a little over $200 or check the forums I listed above and you might find one 2nd hand.

Weaver also makes a 1-3 with a cross hair reticle that's below $200.

Good luck

guinness
01-22-2010, 02:30 PM

Are they both red dot?

Do ya really wanna know how I feel?

Ill tell ya. I like my eotech 512. The fuzziness of the crosshair seems to amplify as the brightness is increased but it never gets too bad. Itll never make your ar a tackdriver, but it offers great eye relief and is very fast on target.

I have been contemplating selling the 512 w/ my S&W and trying out an aimpoint on the LMT, but still havent heard that one thing that will put me over the top.

tpafire5
01-22-2010, 03:35 PM
glad you were able to get the ar you wanted, lets see some photos. the 512 would be great for what you are looking to do. it would also be good for 3 gun shoots. it will fit right on your flat top with out any other mounts, unless you want it raised up a bit. Thats all personal preference. as far as specific for .223 it doesn't matter because you have to sight it in when you get it.

RobertJK
01-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for choosing our product Rooster. I sent you an e-mail.

rooster
01-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks Robert, I got the email just not in time. I bought an EoTech 516. Its pretty decent and shot pretty well today. The AR on the other hand was awesome!! I love my Spikes Tactical ST-15! It was dead on and I was impressed at how well it performed! Thanks Spikes Tactical!!

YouTube - VID00024.wmv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9viq3o_FxZs)

YouTube - VID00022.wmv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7nVgMCy_ZA)

YouTube - VID00013.wmv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0DyC6Y_dOA)

jeepboy
01-24-2010, 06:18 PM
I have a Leupold 3x9 compact with the matt finish on my AR and it works for me.

Riverkid
01-26-2010, 09:24 AM
. I bought an EoTech 516. Its pretty decent and shot pretty well today. The AR on the other hand was awesome!! I love my Spikes Tactical ST-15! It was dead on and I was impressed at how well it performed! Thanks Spikes Tactical!!

That's one of the battles, trying to figure out what optic to use. I shoot with a couple guys and between the three of us we have tried about every optic out there. Tycoon loves the EoTech, I use a T1 or an Acog, and have a couple Leupolds on the SPR's.

Shoot the heck out of that thing. We are taking a Magpul Dynamics Carbine course pretty soon, cannot wait!:smokin:

RobertJK
01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Shoot the heck out of that thing. We are taking a Magpul Dynamics Carbine course pretty soon, cannot wait!:smokin:

Rivekid... best classes hands down, I have ever taken. Criss Costa is a great teacher and I love how they taught me how to drive my AR. Have fun and prepare for a long day:beer:

Sorry I missed you rooster. Invatation still stands though. Maybe after Jeep Beach

Riverkid
01-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Rivekid... best classes hands down, I have ever taken. Criss Costa is a great teacher and I love how they taught me how to drive my AR. Have fun and prepare for a long day:beer:

Sorry I missed you rooster. Invatation still stands though. Maybe after Jeep Beach

It will be a fun 3 days, 2K of rifle and 500 rounds pistol, running the cabine 1 & 2 course...:smokin::D

rooster
01-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Awesome! I will take you up on that! Id love to shoot with you guys.

Riverkid
02-03-2010, 07:44 PM

LOl it's the first day and we shot about 800 rounds. Costa and Haley are instructing. These guys are hilarious when they aren't chewing on you. LOL.:beer:

YouTube - Outtakes Magpul Dynamics Art of the Tatical Carbine Vol2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX59_9npUrc)

RIDERED67
02-04-2010, 05:04 AM
I've used the eotec, aimpoint and acog in combat and my my favorite by far is the acog. No batteries, no breakage and you can mount a pvs 7 monocular night vision in front of it and it works awesome! Way better than I thought it would.

PhilD
02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
FWIW I have an Aimpoint Comp-M and I must have had going on 10 years and it works great, fast acquisition and rugged. Great for close quarters, but still good on plates at 200 yds. A lot of competition shooters around here use the Eotech.