AR-15 Extractor Question [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: AR-15 Extractor Question

kerryp
01-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Hey experts,

I disassembled my AR this afternoon to clean it after shooting it for the first time yesterday and when I removed the extractor, I set it on the table while i was cleaning. When i picked it up and wiped it off, I dislodged the extractor spring and it fell out....no biggies, it fell on the table on the white t-shirt I was working on. So I picked it up and put it back in,,,,

I reassembled everything and think I got it back together right, but was looking at an exploded view a minute ago and noticed that mine was a little different....

I have a spring, and I have the little insert, but mine had a small o-ring around the spring and I don't see that on any exploded views I have looked at?

When I put it back togehter I placed the insert back in with the head of the insert in the hole of the extractor and pushed the spring (with the o-ring around it) back in to the hole. The o-ring does not go into the hole, it just sits on the outside of the spring??? Is the o-ring supposed to be there? It couldn't have gotten there any other way, but it does not show up in any pictures I see

I knew you would ask for pics, so here are a couple I just took :)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/kerryp/P1180077.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/kerryp/P1180078.jpg

joes-jk
01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
its not on my origanal or second bolt assemblly. thats strange, mabey its there to keep any grime/mosture/powder from getting in it. it had to be in there when u were shooting it so id put it back.

what type of ar is it?????? is it fairly newer?

TCOTTON
01-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Looks good. It's certainly not necessary to completely disassemble the bolt after every shooting secession. I surface clean the extractor and check for function, but don't worry about breaking it down until I've put 1000 rds down the tube or there is a visible problem.

Good luck.

kerryp
01-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Its an LMT, and I can't figure out any way it could've gotten on the spring since its a tight fit and the odds of the spring falling right into that o-ring are pretty slim :laughing:.

I just wanna make sure its supposed to be there even tho I can't figure any other way it would have gotten there unless it was placed there....Gun shot like a champ when I shot it yesterday, hopefully doc or one of the others will know sumpin,,,,

kerryp
01-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Looks good. It's certainly not necessary to completely disassemble the bolt after every shooting secession. I surface clean the extractor and check for function, but don't worry about breaking it down until I've put 1000 rds down the tube or there is a visible problem.

Good luck.

So the o-ring belongs there on the spring? Just curious because its not in any pics I have seen...

I just always break my guns down after shooting to inspect and clean, especially after the first time shooting....

sniper41
01-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Your extractor is different from mine- looks different anyway in the pics. If the gun shot fine I wouldn't worry too much. If you have a gun smith near you check with them too. It's a tough question to answer without seeing it in person- for me anyway.

TCOTTON
01-18-2010, 04:44 PM
It's correct. Your Ar has the "upgraded" extractor spring kit meaning they added an o ring. If you don't like it, go to Wolf gunsprings and order one of their springs and you won't need an o ring and the extractor should perform flawlessly.

kerryp
01-18-2010, 04:47 PM
It's correct. Your Ar has the "upgraded" extractor spring kit meaning they added an o ring. If you don't like it, go to Wolf gunsprings and order one of their springs and you won't need an o ring and the extractor should perform flawlessly.

Ok, good to know thanks, it works fine, so no need to mess with it until it needs messin with...thanks for the help....

TCOTTON
01-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Some ar's have extraction problems due to weak extractor springs especially after slinging lots of lead down range and the bolt starts to get gunked up. So this was one of the solutions.

Mstef3
01-24-2010, 10:00 AM
This might help.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24635/Product/AR_15_M16_EXTRACTOR_UPGRADE_KIT

rooster
01-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Looks right to me. I broke mine down last night to have a look and I have the same extractor. My AR is a Spikes Tactical. The extractor has the same oring and spring as yours.

Grover
01-30-2010, 11:20 AM
that style is supposed to be good, I am running this style tho.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Extractor%20Springs/ColtD-Ring.jpg

RobertJK
01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
You are good to go. That O ring is standard on all our exttractors at Spikes Tactical. Its an upgrade most shooters did to Ar's not equiped so from the factory. Just Like Staking the gas key was an armorers "upgrade" years back, most companies now are doing it factory direct. Most "upgrades" years back on ar-15s are now becoming "standard" from the factory.
That O ring is a wear Item so check it during cleaning and cheap insurance keep a couple on hand as spares.