question for Kimber/wilson/1911 owners [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: question for Kimber/wilson/1911 owners

venom
01-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I got my brand new kimber today, also picked up a spare kimpro mag.

the factory mag is really hard to load, the 7th round takes some serious force to insert and it really doesnt want to lock into the magwell
also last round hold open doesnt work with that mag
the kimpro mag works great.
loads with appropriate amount of force, locks in place easy, hold open works etc

I looked and theres a coil of spring on the outside of the follower on the factory mag - see pic
its not on the outside of the kimpro that works right.
I'm assuming this is the problem?

if it is, thats not really cool to have a major assembly error on a relatively high dollar gun!

should be pretty easy to fix, but can someone confirm that its NOT supposed to be outside the follower for me?
also any tips on removing the floor plate so I can fix it?

venom
01-09-2010, 06:57 PM
well I just tinkered with it and put the coil inside and it seems to work MUCH smoother
managed to do it without disassembling the mag
I pushed the follower down, slid a metal rod through the mag body to hold the spring down the pulled the follower back up, when I released the spring it went inside like I think is should be and all seems to be well

TXROCK
01-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Good deal...I am not a Kimber owner, but having delt with weapons quite a bit I was thinking that might be the problem.

venom
01-09-2010, 07:08 PM
yeah it didnt look right to me and the follower was really easy to tilt with it on the outside.
I had never seen a mag like that so I'm pretty sure that was the problem and that I fixed it correctly.

kerryp
01-09-2010, 07:15 PM
If you have any problems with failures to feed, etc, keep the magazine in mind. Some have said they have had problems with the Kimber mags ( i don't know about the pro model). I bought some Wilson mags and they work great and I have heard good things about the chip mccormick mags as well, just an fyi in case you run into issues.

STUPIDFACE
01-09-2010, 10:38 PM
What i would do: Shit can the kimber mag and get some wilson combat mags.:D If you do that, dont get the black mags, they dont slide out as smooth. The silver ones are much better in my opinion.

corey d

medcop
01-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Yup, what the guy above me said....

Get some Wilson Combat 1911 mags and don't worry about the factory mags. Kimber is a fine weapon, but there are much better mags than factory Kimber mags.

RobertJK
01-11-2010, 06:49 PM
What i would do: Shit can the kimber mag and get some wilson combat mags.:D If you do that, dont get the black mags, they dont slide out as smooth. The silver ones are much better in my opinion.

corey d

^^^^^^^^that^^^^^^^^^
times 1000

Riverkid
01-11-2010, 09:14 PM
My partner shoots nothing but Kimber mags, and has never had a problem. I shoot with the old and the new Wilson mag's, and have no issues with those. I did have one that wouldn't slide lock but that was one I had dropped about 2000 times doing mag drills... Both are GTG as far as I can tell.

TCOTTON
01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Spring should definitely be on the inside.

venom
01-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Spring should definitely be on the inside.

Thanks for confirming!
I fixed it and its working great now

STUPIDFACE
01-13-2010, 08:06 PM
If you like the kimber mags, i have one or 2 ill give you. If i remember, ill bring them with me next time i go to katemcy or any other place where i might run into you.

corey d

venom
01-13-2010, 08:18 PM
That'd be awesome Corey!
I've put a couple hundred rounds through so far with no problems
I've been carrying it quite a bot so a couple more mags would be very welcome!

TCOTTON
01-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Also, try the Chip McCormick power mags. I've shot these for years with no problems and you can usually find them on sale somewhere(Midway, shooters connection, dawson precision).

I've used both the 8 and 10 rounders with no problems.

BigMike
01-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Wilson Combat, nuff said.

I use them in my custom Springfield.

JKrazed
01-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Wilson mags are nice. I also use Cobra Mags, by Tripp research. These are what I use for my HiCaps.

Both are super reliable.

guinness
01-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Wilson mags are very nice, fit well and run smooth. If I ever get a chance to buy a new 1911 I will be looking at thier mags immediately.

BigMike
01-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Wilson mags are nice. I also use Cobra Mags, by Tripp research. These are what I use for my HiCaps.

Both are super reliable.

Heard great things about the Tripp mags too.

JKrazed
01-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Heard great things about the Tripp mags too.

That's pretty much all I run now.