Uwharrie 4/1/10 - 4/4/10 [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Uwharrie 4/1/10 - 4/4/10

BadAzGirlsDriveBadAzToyz
01-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Hey guys. My peoples is getting a few jeeps together down here for a spring trip to Uwharrie April 1 through 4th or 5th. Going to camp there too. None of us have ever been there before.

Any recommendations on camping areas to use/avoid, or trails to be sure to check out, a good place to go have a good meal and a beer or eight one evening?

Do you suppose it's going to be cold? (Keep in mind us Floriduh folk think 55 is FREEZING) Naturally, we'll be keeping an eye on the weather, but generally speaking, what do you know of the weather in your experience? Are we going to freeze our asses off in tents?

And on to more important things...

I know a lot of counties up that way are dry... which sucks for us alcoholics, uh, I mean, casual drinkers, but is that place a dry county? If I run out of 3O Berry am I SOL? Or do I need to start stocking up now?:D:beer:

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

tkob1060
01-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Hey guys. My peoples is getting a few jeeps together down here for a spring trip to Uwharrie April 1 through 4th or 5th. Going to camp there too. None of us have ever been there before.

Any recommendations on camping areas to use/avoid, or trails to be sure to check out, a good place to go have a good meal and a beer or eight one evening?

Do you suppose it's going to be cold? (Keep in mind us Floriduh folk think 55 is FREEZING) Naturally, we'll be keeping an eye on the weather, but generally speaking, what do you know of the weather in your experience? Are we going to freeze our asses off in tents?

And on to more important things...

I know a lot of counties up that way are dry... which sucks for us alcoholics, uh, I mean, casual drinkers, but is that place a dry county? If I run out of 3O Berry am I SOL? Or do I need to start stocking up now?:D:beer:

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

#1 I would recommend NOTTT going that opening weekend, it will be mad crazy packed and you'll probably wind up waiting on the trails some, specially if there is a Land Rover group there, stay away from them they always clog up the trails when they are there. You will be able to run all the trails, if it rains stay away from Daniel :devil:

I would camp at Badin lake campground, its right there at Uwharrie and you can get spots right on the lake. http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/uwhcmp.htm#badin lake

weather should be in 60s-70s day and 50s-60s at night

Its not a dry county so thats probably your best news :laughing: I dont know any of the local bars/restaurants but there are a few locals on here that will know.

JUSTIN speak up :laughing:

IF you change the date I'll probably join y'all for a sat or sun run, I am only 50 minutes away.

benmar2000
01-08-2010, 04:27 PM
FARKIN!!

RANGE ROVERS!!!!!!!

They are the bain of my existence.. :thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

Yeah.. What Tim said.. First week of Uwharrie is a mess and a traffic jam.. Especially since Tellico got closed.. Matt and I are looking at going the first week of May.. :D Will firm it up as the time gets closer..

BadAzGirlsDriveBadAzToyz
01-08-2010, 06:46 PM
cool thanks, guys. yeah, we're kinda screwed with the dates unless we wait until summertime - it's spring break for the kids. is it really going to be bad? i mean, i don't have the patience or the desire to get all the way up there and spend all day in a traffic jam. if it's only mildly annoying i can deal, but if it's going to suck... maybe it would be best if we rescheduled, ya know

benmar2000
01-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Don't know what it will be like this year.. But last year.. It took us 4hrs to just do Dickey Bell.. It was jammed packed.. We were always pulling over for those DAMN LAND ROVERS!!!!

@&^%*%e#%(*^&%# ummm.. Ok.. I feel better now.. :laughing: :hide:

johnmcd
01-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Not a dry county, but the Eldorado outpost doesn't sell beer (i think). Not supposed to have drinks in the park camp ground, typically if moderately behaved, you'll have no problems.
I dont think there is much in the way of fine dining, maybe a run into concord (30 miles) or back to asheville.

benmar2000
01-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Albemarle isn't bad.. They have some nice places to eat.. And it is like 30 miles also.. That is where we usually stay when we go.. They have a Hampton Inn there..

enigmaverse
01-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Like everyone else said, stay away opening weekend... you may want to get on the URE forum to try and see whats going on on another weekend.

Last year we went the 3rd week of April (along with JK forum, the Rovers, and a few other events) and it was pretty packed.

Not much to do in Troy itself, there are a few restaurants and such within the 20 - 30 mi. range but most people end up either chilling at the campgrounds or going night wheelin.

for more info:
http://www.eldoradooutpost.com/

If the wife lets me out, I may come join you guys for a day or two (baby coming any day now)

benmar2000
01-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Hey let us know when the day comes.. :beer:

BadAzGirlsDriveBadAzToyz
01-21-2010, 08:26 PM
thanks guys for all the comments!

i'm backing out of the trip. i don't mind "busy"; i DO mind "packed". and i can be aggravated at traffic just as easily at home without driving for 12 hours.

i'm hoping to get up there maybe later in the year. thanks again!