Map Pocket + Knee = PAIN [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Map Pocket + Knee = PAIN

fatherof2
05-21-2008, 12:47 PM
OK, so I have wacked my knee on the map pocket about 8 times now. This is some serious pain :bawling:. Any of you folks have any creative ideas on avoiding it. I would take off the map pocket thing if I could, but it didn't really appear to be an option :shaking:.

John L
05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
OK, so I have wacked my knee on the map pocket about 8 times now. This is some serious pain :bawling:. Any of you folks have any creative ideas on avoiding it. I would take off the map pocket thing if I could, but it didn't really appear to be an option :shaking:.

After 20 hits the knee goes numb and you don't care anymore.
I smack mine all the time, must be a JK thing.

scrogg
05-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Are you talking about the pocket in the door? If so, I haven't had a problem with hitting it.

toadontheroad
05-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Must be you ingress/egress motor skills :D

I'm 6'3" 205 lbs with a size 13 boot and have not had any problems with the doors. I've got serious problems with the steering wheel because I never remember to tilt it up beforehand. But like he said, 20 more times and no kneed to worry! HA! Get it? Kneed? Ok. I'm done.

airric00
05-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Kneed?.

:shaking:

gcg
05-21-2008, 09:41 PM
You could try taking off the knee.

fatherof2
05-22-2008, 08:08 AM
You could try taking off the knee.

That would leave a less ugly hole than the map pocket.

RubyMtnRubicon
05-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Just take the doors off. :bounce:

BigO
05-22-2008, 08:25 PM
I would take off the map pocket thing if I could, but it didn't really appear to be an option :shaking:.

With a reciprocating saw and the proper blade, everything is possible.

YmansJK
05-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Get some soft doors with soft windows. Problem solved.

gcg
05-23-2008, 12:35 PM
With a reciprocating saw and the proper blade, everything is possible.
Yep, it'll take the knee right off, no problem.

BigO
05-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Yep, it'll take the knee right off, no problem.

:D:D

Not exactly what I meant, but you're right.

gcg
05-24-2008, 12:25 AM
:D:D

Not exactly what I meant, but you're right.
Just trying to put a different twist on it for some weak humor.

MarcM
05-24-2008, 01:30 AM
Not only does it hurt like a mother, if you are wearing shorts, it will gouge up your knee pretty good.

jkdrone
07-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Hit the knee? I presume getting in and out? I mean, that thing's down by my ankle when driving - I'm no giant at 5'10", heh.

Oddly enough, the only thing that ever hits my map pocket is my toes - they drag across it on the way out, have a nice mud smear that seems to be permanently written across it.

Try taking the retaining strap off the door so you can open it more? Just watch out for the mirror and the hood, or ripping out the wiring harness if you have power windows. =)

Now, if I could simply avoid hitting my head when getting in... That's some pain!

!c

Dustoff '68
07-01-2008, 03:25 PM
I tried like the dickens to duplicate this phenomena without success...hmmmmmmmm

John L
07-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Well.........the bottom of my map pocket sets 31" above ground. The way I get in the jeep puts my knee very close while swinging in. I have to watch myself on entry or *SMACK*. It's funny though, the passenger almost always hits his/her head.....:laughing:...on the roll bar that is, not the map pocket....:D

StubEXrube
07-03-2008, 11:54 PM
When my door swung open all the way ( after removing the pw/pdl harness), the side mirror whacked the snot out of the hood and left a golf ball size dent that will likely start to chip soon. The JK cowl is attached (well) to the fender panels (unlike prev TJs), so the dent is almost impossible to pound out from the inside. It was my fault for thinking that the JK steel could survive the impact from plastic, but I tell people that it was from a tree branch while wheeling, and that makes me feel better. Attached pic shows my solution to keep door from swinging all the way open, while allowing it to open wide enough that I no longer hit my knee (or foot) on it anymore. Just simple extensions, but they work well.

BigO
07-04-2008, 06:03 AM
I have no idea how you guys are whacking your knee on that thing. I've yet to have that happen. Maybe I'll do a write-up on how I get in my Jeep without pain...:lol:

John L
07-04-2008, 06:25 AM
I have no idea how you guys are whacking your knee on that thing. I've yet to have that happen. Maybe I'll do a write-up on how I get in my Jeep without pain...:lol:

I'd rater see a writeup on how to fill up with gas without pain:smokin:

BigO
07-04-2008, 06:31 AM
I'd rater see a writeup on how to fill up with gas without pain:smokin:

Easy...

:smokin: <--- Don't do that while filling up. :grinpimp:

John L
07-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Easy...

:smokin: <--- Don't do that while filling up. :grinpimp:

LOL, everybody's a comedian...

Steveqvs
07-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Maybe 6 to 8 inches of lift would move the offending pocket out of reach!!!!