1 ton Forn Sterling Rear in a JK [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: 1 ton Forn Sterling Rear in a JK

AK Jeeper
12-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I have a 10.5" sterling from an 06 f-350 and I'm considering putting it under my JK. Has anyone done this swap. I think width wise I'd be ok. Stock F-350 SWD witdh is 67.2" whereas stock jk rear witdh is 65.25 so I think that would be ok. If I'm wrong please let me know expected problem areas. If I decide to move fwd on this I will want to swap the shafts out so they have a 5 on 5 flange. Are there axle shaft companies that would make such a shaft? Is this a good swap?

Co4Lo
12-03-2009, 10:09 PM
I have a 10.5" sterling from an 06 f-350 and I'm considering putting it under my JK. Has anyone done this swap. I think width wise I'd be ok. Stock F-350 SWD witdh is 67.2" whereas stock jk rear witdh is 65.25 so I think that would be ok. If I'm wrong please let me know expected problem areas. If I decide to move fwd on this I will want to swap the shafts out so they have a 5 on 5 flange. Are there axle shaft companies that would make such a shaft? Is this a good swap?

Moser can make you any axle shaft you need. That's the easy part.
You will lose yout ESP and ABS. But if you have an auto trans, you may have bigger problems, as the computer gets it's speed data from the ABS sensors. Without a speed signal, your computer won't know when to tell the trans to shift.

AK Jeeper
12-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Hmmm, yes I do have auto. Is there a work around. Will the tone ring from the ford interface with the jeep tone ring?

Paul08Wrangler
12-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Speed sensor telling the trans when to shift:shaking: What? How about speed sensors controlling ABS & Traction Control....NOT Transmission Control... Cut all the wires going to the axles and your trans will shift the same way it always has. Don't make statements unless your 100% sure they are true.

Co4Lo
12-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Hmmm, yes I do have auto. Is there a work around. Will the tone ring from the ford interface with the jeep tone ring?

Currently researching.
Kenny(River Raider) is swapping in a 14B and an HP60, so you may want to contact him for updates. I'm researching for a full Ford 60 swap as well.
Mine has manual windows and locks, and I have already re-wired most of my lighting away from the CANBUS.
I'm tempted to just yank all the computer crap and swap in a 4BT. Would be nice to have control of everything instead of that fawking CANBUS running my show!:pissed:

Co4Lo
12-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Speed sensor telling the trans when to shift:shaking: What? How about speed sensors controlling ABS & Traction Control....NOT Transmission Control... Cut all the wires going to the axles and your trans will shift the same way it always has. Don't make statements unless your 100% sure they are true.

I'm not 100% sure. That's why I use the word "may" and admit that I'm researching. I heard that without speedo, tranny no shifty. Still researching. Are you 100% sure that it will?
I'm curious... were you aware that the JK gets it's speed signal for the speedo, from the ABS sensors?
Not like the previous Jeeps where there is a mechanical speedo gear on the T-Case tail housing.
But since you claim that you can cut all the wires off your axles and the auto trans will still shift normally, it must be 100% true.:thefinger:

ALASHA
12-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Didnt we just get a guy from JKF that was doing a similar swap? Sorry I cant remember his handle right now but he is from Jersey.
Edit:
joePILE knows who I am talking about so you may want to ask him

tkob1060
12-04-2009, 10:36 PM

I guess you had to be a complete fucking douche about it right :shaking:

and its you're 100% :thefinger:

jdemonto
12-04-2009, 11:29 PM
I am not so sure de-computering a JK would be the best of ideas. At that point you might as well just build a whole new Jeep!

Jason

bodyguy
12-05-2009, 06:23 AM
I believe the speedo works off an average of all 4 wheel sensors and the left front is the main sensor for the computer. That's what I have been told :thefinger:

muddpuppy01
12-05-2009, 10:38 AM
how about this disconnect the abs sensors on all four corner and drive around town then come tell use what happens if it shifts or not

crusty1007
12-05-2009, 12:32 PM
If it does shift, it will shift like butt.
The TCM pulls VS from the PCM that gets it from the wheel speed sensors.

The trans does have an input shaft speed sensor & output shaft speed sensor built in that feed the TCM however it also needs VS to compute its shift points.

& then you have check engine, IAC, ABS, traction control, so on going nuts.

:beer:

md_rubi
12-05-2009, 03:49 PM
I have been told if you do not have the ringtone connected the JK will not start. by the time you buy the housing and get everything machined to work with the currie rng tone it was just as much as buying a new one from currie. Unless you can do the work yourself, then it's a different story

terrahawk
12-05-2009, 04:33 PM
As a buddy of mine said, I think all of us are going to be ripping the CANBUS out in a few years and just re-wire the damn thing with a painless wiring kit LOL.