How badly am? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: How badly am?

3X4X4
05-13-2008, 09:22 PM
How badly am I screwed. My Toyota 91 PU was totalled in an accident (not my fault) and somehow this followed me home. This is a 07 X model with 4,700 miles, purchased used with a clean history. Auto and I think the S package:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/DSCF0149.jpg

My wife has a Jeep Liberty which other than sucking gas has been a decent car:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/DSCF0039.jpg

I also have a 06 Tacoma TRD 4dr:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/DSCF0019-4.jpg

But alas this is gone forever:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/DSCF0077-1.jpg

3X4X4

airric00
05-13-2008, 09:35 PM
awww I feel bad for ya.... But I think your new friend that followed you home will ge a fav!! Have fun! Welcome to your new addiction!

gcg
05-13-2008, 09:50 PM
I think you're going to be just fine. Sorry about the accident but welcome to the group.

3X4X4
05-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Please, this is a honest Jeep beginner question, is the JK a real Jeep and is it a desireable Jeep vehicle? I drove several TJs and this JK just handled and drove so much smoother and better and felt so tight I just fell for it and it was so friendly and wagged it's tail so cute. I think I am a sucker.

Yes, I am having Toyota remorse, it had 260,000 miles, never let me down ever and even drove me home after the wreck before sighing it's last breath in it's driveway. It even beat up a grizzly bear once and fell off a small cliff. Are JKs tuff like that? Toyota tough? Sincere question.

And thanks for the welcome.

3X4X4

gcg
05-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Yes, it's a real Jeep. I've had an XJ and a TJ, both highly modified. My JK is my favorite of all of them. It is better on the road and it is better offroad. I think Chrysler did a fine job with this model.

1TallJKer
05-14-2008, 02:07 AM
Welcome. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at your new buddy. I've surprised myself and others with how capable mine is and its as bone stock as yours.

Ruskin
05-14-2008, 06:11 AM
This is my first jeep, but I think you will be very happy. I wheeled my stock X and was happily surprised. Then I spend $1,800 for a 2.5" budget boost, new rims and 34" tires...and it amazed me.

Darkrubitj
05-14-2008, 06:26 AM
As my Lady says "A Jeep Jeep" is like a Timex "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking" You will find that because of the size and style you'll be able to take you JK places your Toy only dreamed about. It's a wheelbase and approach and departure angle thing. As far as how a JK stacks up against it's siblings, it's one of the best Jeeps I've personally owned and the most civilized. A true successor to the TJ line of Jeeps.

BigO
05-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Welcome to the site. I'll second what everyone else said. You'll end up loving the JK. I like mine WAY better than the modified TJ that I had. And the extra 5 or so inches of width they gave the JK makes a big difference if you're a big guy.

Oh...and when it comes to removing the top, you don't need to use a reciprocating saw to remove it like you would with the Toyota. :grinpimp:

luigi0523
05-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Welcome! The TJ was much better than the CJ's and YJ's and the JK is much better than the TJ! Let the mods begin!

dougnpj
05-14-2008, 09:57 AM
I just added a 2.5 BB to my four door and some quick disconnects. I took it out for the first time (with the disco’s) and was blown away. I have had a CJ7 and thought it was great. I now feel the JK is by far the best that jeep has ever put out. You will be shocked what an “X” model can do. :bounce::smokin:

Bigjerm
05-14-2008, 10:08 AM
it is a real jeep yes. Now not sure if you will see over 200,000 miles out of it but no one knows yet with the new wrangler. I wheel a 2 door X with a 2.5" coil spacer lift and 35's and it has handled a lot so far.

3X4X4
05-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Thank you all, I am feeling much better about this today.

3X4X4

toadontheroad
05-21-2008, 05:25 PM
it is a real jeep yes. Now not sure if you will see over 200,000 miles out of it but no one knows yet with the new wrangler. I wheel a 2 door X with a 2.5" coil spacer lift and 35's and it has handled a lot so far.

It'll see 200k for sure! Of course, just about every stinkin' part on it will have been modified, upgraded, replaced because of damage or eliminated as excess. Remember J E E P ! (just empty every pocket):beer::beer:

JR
05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Should be a great upgrade for you since they're very capable, and you come from a history of Toyota so you're already used to not having any horsepower.

:D

StubEXrube
06-16-2008, 11:39 PM
My past vehicles have included an 03 taco, 05 taco, o3 tj (wrangler), 06 unlimited (wrangler), and for approx 1 year now...an 08 jk. The jk is stronger where it counts, handles better than prev tj's and has tons of aftermarket support. In stock form with so few miles, it's a good bet that you have a great ride! Add a winch, pack the cooler and dont look back! Only advice would be- to stay infomed regarding TSB's. Dont "freak out" cause most are minor things and may not even apply to yer particular jeep.I wouldn't trust every dealership to inform you every time somethin comes up, but with a stock jeep you can be assured that almost any issue will be addressed under warranty. Wheel it hard and then tell the dealership (if somethin goes wrong) that it happened in the mall parking lot!!!