Rear Locker question,?? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Rear Locker question,??

nam6869usmc
10-01-2007, 10:12 AM
O{k guy's, I posted awhile back about an Auburn ECTED Locker and had no one comment, my question now is, I wheeled this thing with the Aussie up front & it performed way beyond my expectations. Now I know being locked in the front may be a little nerve racking in the snow(when locked in 4wd), I must of read 500 post on that subject. If I just run 2 Aussie's front & rear will I die in the snow or will it be up to me just to learn it / adjust my driving style compensate.??? I will listen to all who has a comment/input,

Correction to my post,...I have LS in rear & Powertrax Noslip seems like the only one that will accommodate a Limited Slip Carrier. Aussie won't work.

igofshn
10-01-2007, 02:44 PM
i RNA DETROITS FRONT AND REAR in my TJ and never had a problem in the snow. You have to remember that you are not driving a sports car.

nam6869usmc
10-01-2007, 02:55 PM
i RNA DETROITS FRONT AND REAR in my TJ and never had a problem in the snow. You have to remember that you are not driving a sports car.

So your telling me this isn't my 1979 Spitfire.. :D
I want to say that your the reason the Aussie is in the front.....now your the reason the Aussie will go in the rear. A guy at our club in a TJ has a Lockrite front / Aussie rear, and way that thing wheels gets a WoW! factor of 10, but he does tow it in. I did great with the front locked (big advantage)), but I really want Locked front & back.
Well igofshn, thx again for your expertise & advice . I'll be totally locked soon.

John L
10-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Are you swapping the carrier out to fit an Aussie in the butt? AFAIK, no current Aussie will fit the JK D44.....

MichaelW
10-03-2007, 09:55 AM
A locker in the rear, in the slippery snow, will not help you out a lot, or should I say not as much as your LSD will. In deep unpacked snow a locker will really help you out.

The problem with snow is that it is so varied and the term "snow" is too generic for the types of snow and the best traction application for the various conditions.

As a general rule I would say the LSD is the best overall fit for "snow" driving and you can use your e-brake for pseudo locked driving as well.

If your going to be locked, I'd definitely recommend a selectable locker as there are times when being locked isn't going to help but hurt.

Just don't forget, as many of the nimrods around here do, that 4wd does not mean 4-wheel-stop.

BeerMonkeY
10-03-2007, 12:36 PM
my old TJ which i sold to a friend had a lockrite up front and openin the back , now i never ran it in the snow (sold it before it snowed) but my friend said its fine in the snow and hasent wrecked it yet.

nam6869usmc
10-03-2007, 12:37 PM
A locker in the rear, in the slippery snow, will not help you out a lot, or should I say not as much as your LSD will. In deep unpacked snow a locker will really help you out.

The problem with snow is that it is so varied and the term "snow" is too generic for the types of snow and the best traction application for the various conditions.

As a general rule I would say the LSD is the best overall fit for "snow" driving and you can use your e-brake for pseudo locked driving as well.

If your going to be locked, I'd definitely recommend a selectable locker as there are times when being locked isn't going to help but hurt.

Just don't forget, as many of the nimrods around here do, that 4wd does not mean 4-wheel-stop.

Thx Michael,...If stop buying my 13 yo Granddaughter everything she wants, I could affort any Selectable out there....maybe just Wheel it some more and evaluate the whole rear locker thing. I have to say, I actually pointed & it went that way no matter what I was on, high centering was the only stopper.

MichaelW
10-03-2007, 12:39 PM
You just have to pay attention more when its really slippery out.

Same reason you turn off your lockers when you are driving on an off camber slippery side hill. The locked axle grabs like it does when on dry pavement but because there is no traction, you actually slip and slide faster or more than if you were open. :)

BeerMonkeY
10-03-2007, 01:12 PM
yeah that is the down side of being always locked, i hated it sometimes in my old YJ, with the locked rear and a small block under the hood it was sometimes scary on side hills or off camber rocks

nam6869usmc
10-03-2007, 01:47 PM
yeah that is the down side of being always locked, i hated it sometimes in my old YJ, with the locked rear and a small block under the hood it was sometimes scary on side hills or off camber rocks

Ok guy's,...great input from you all, I'll live with the front locked because it really pulls me up & over a lot of stuff. The LS & BLD working tohether in the rear is actually a great setup....thank you all...

John L
10-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Actually, we all have lockers, sort of. Early this year in the snow I went out and played in a huge parking lot, 2hi, 4hi, 4lo, esp on, off, all combos. Drifting, donuts, panic stops, you name it I did it. All in the name of research, mind you.:D
What I noticed the most was the computer braking the wheels that were slipping, and doing it dynamically as the conditions changed. I couldn't get stuck, no matter how hard I tried. Granted, the snow wasn't that deep, but the lot had hills and I had no problem going up them.
All this was confirmed when my buddy and I put the lift on and flexed it out on his property. We found a spot that teetered the Jeep on opposite corners when the front swaybar was still connected, and I watched from the ouside (my buddy was driving) how it works. It would spin the free tires just a bit, then I would hear the ding-ding from the dash, and those wheels would stop spinning and it pulled itself along with no problem. I was fairly impressed with both the hardware and software of the system. BTW, mine's open on front and rear.
I'm patiently waiting for OX to have something available, hopefully soon.

nam6869usmc
10-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Actually, we all have lockers, sort of. Early this year in the snow I went out and played in a huge parking lot, 2hi, 4hi, 4lo, esp on, off, all combos. Drifting, donuts, panic stops, you name it I did it. All in the name of research, mind you.:D
What I noticed the most was the computer braking the wheels that were slipping, and doing it dynamically as the conditions changed. I couldn't get stuck, no matter how hard I tried. Granted, the snow wasn't that deep, but the lot had hills and I had no problem going up them.
All this was confirmed when my buddy and I put the lift on and flexed it out on his property. We found a spot that teetered the Jeep on opposite corners when the front swaybar was still connected, and I watched from the ouside (my buddy was driving) how it works. It would spin the free tires just a bit, then I would hear the ding-ding from the dash, and those wheels would stop spinning and it pulled itself along with no problem. I was fairly impressed with both the hardware and software of the system. BTW, mine's open on front and rear.
I'm patiently waiting for OX to have something available, hopefully soon.

That whole scenario that you put your JK through reminds me of a little dispute across the tracks with someone, he refused to admit this BLD really works, he said he had the opposite wheels off the ground and the free wheels spun & kept spinning with no BLD resistance. He got upset when I said get to thwe Dealer yours isn't working like it's designed to.
Bye the way, a few club members have OX Lockers & they kick but, that was on my list also(OX).

John L
10-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Well, it sure works good on mine:D
The club members you mentioned, they have OX lockers on JK's?
If so, what all was involved during the install? I mean, was it pure bolt in or were there any mods to get it to fit?

nam6869usmc
10-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Well, it sure works good on mine:D
The club members you mentioned, they have OX lockers on JK's?
If so, what all was involved during the install? I mean, was it pure bolt in or were there any mods to get it to fit?

These guy's have TJ's,,, and some had a few club members(with the knoweldge) and installed / setup themselfs. > not a job I could do. No JK's in our club have them yet ,,,maybe soon thow.