Remove door panels? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Remove door panels?

toadontheroad
05-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Hey all:
Anyone know how to remove the interior door panels? I need to remove the driver side rear door panel because when the thug smashed my window to steal my briefcase, a bunch of the glass went inside the door and the rattling is driving me nuts :bawling:

thanks...

dougnpj
05-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Well what you should do is take it back to the glass company that did the repair. That is what they are supposed to do and I am sure you paid for it. I run a glass company and that would not fly at all. :shaking::shaking:

toadontheroad
05-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Believe it or not I asked them about it and they said they could not figure out how to get the rest of the glass out. They took the door off. Took the panel off. Apparently there's more that meets the eye. they couldn't figure out how to get to the insides. :shaking:

dougnpj
05-05-2008, 01:35 PM
THATS SOUND KIND OF LAME BUT i WILL CHECK WITH SOME OF MY GUYS AND SEE IF THEY KNOW HOW.;)

dougnpj
05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Wait a minute….:shaking: You have to remove the door panel to install the new window. So they should have been able to get a shop vac in and clean it up. But I will see if I can find something out.

toadontheroad
05-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah, according to them they took off the panel but it allows very little access to inside the bottom of the door. they said they could not vacuum out all of the glass.

Any additional input is greatly appreciated.

K-Bear
05-08-2008, 10:59 PM
The doors are pretty easy to take off. Why didn't they just take it off, turn it upsidedown and shop vac it?

toadontheroad
05-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Sounds easy...:shaking: NOPE.
I spent an hour last Friday trying to get the shards out. Kept shaking it upside down like a school bully extracting lunch money. I was afraid the bits might screw up the window lifts somehow. Or get into the motor or something. Every time I close the door it sounds like a maraca. I don't want a musical JK. :pissed:

gcg
05-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Take it to the dealer.

K-Bear
05-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Take it to the dealer.

I think this is about your only option left aside from changing out to half doors or tube doors.

toadontheroad
05-16-2008, 05:47 PM
I'd take the half doors, but they won't take my kid in trade. He knows how to do the dishes. :laughing:

usmcdoc14
05-17-2008, 12:10 PM
drill 1.5" hole in lower corner, vacuum out glass, install grommet plug, repeat for other door.

Now you will not have to do that later on when you fill it up with mud/silt and have to figure a way to drain the door :D

toadontheroad
05-19-2008, 05:23 PM
I have thought about that and have no problem whatsoever drill and cutting anywhere, as long as it's not something I'll need later. Or in this case, drill into the harness that Jeep would think is better to hang below the window lift :shaking:

If you anyone knows it can be done without ruining anything inside, I'd appreciate some insight.

Pros/cons?

PhilD
05-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Just take the door panels off and you should be able to get inside to clean them out just fine.

1. Using a standard window handle tool (2), release the handle clips and remove the handle (1) from the window lift mechanism, if equipped with a manual regulator.

NOTE: Full front door shown, rear door similar.

2. Remove the pull handle trim plugs (2) and remove the pull handle screws (3).
3. Remove the screws (1), if equipped.

NOTE: Full front door shown, rear door similar.

4. Using a trim stick C-4829 or equivalent, starting at the bottom by the check strap, separate the push pin fasteners (3) and remove the trim panel (1).

Xtremjeepn
07-25-2008, 07:22 PM
The problem with that diagram is what looks like the inside of the door is NOT. It is the INNER door panel. Take out the 10+ bolts for the inner door panel and it is still held on tight by the window motor, which is bolted on from the INSIDE of the door.

I have yet to figure out how to get inside the door panel on this Jeep. (and I have been inside the door panel on 10-15 different cars over the years)

toadontheroad
07-29-2008, 05:44 PM
THAT'S what I'm talkin' about, man! I gave up, but when I saw you post up, I thought I'd put in .02 more cents. I still have a few shards left inside. Everytime I take the doors off (couple time a week it seems) I turn it upside down and get more glass out :shaking:

StubEXrube
07-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Dont like the idea of the dealership doing a "lets push and pull on it till we hear a loud SNAP" type of remedy. Plus...wouldnt they charge $$ for the non warranty labor? Maybe if they had already been inside a few and gauranteed "no charge"...but otherwise...

orangearrows
11-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Here is a link --this might help

http://forum.jkboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=6739&sid=c992c52957734f86cf5a7b3a581032c7

--B
http://soundproofingjeepjkwrangler.blogspot.com/

toadontheroad
11-07-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm glad I already shook all the broken glass out. Only took a few months. Everytime I would take the doors off, or put them on, or move them around in the garage, I would torn the one door over and shake out a few more shards. WAAAAAYYY easier then taking the stupid panel off. :shaking: