Strange Tire Wear???? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Strange Tire Wear????

nam6869usmc
05-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I just sold my M/T's to "Slimjim" & I noticed a little wear only on the outside front tires. I checked my new Procomp AT's today & definitely wearing the same, outside mold dimples are wore off outside only & there sticking out on the inside. It would remind me of the old Camber problem but we have no adjustment. I had this lined up last year when he put my LCA Cam Bolts in. I have the adjustable track bar & it's dead nuts left & right. Any advice will be appreciated..,.don't want these tires to die a fast death,

wizard13756
05-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Sounds like a toe-in problem.

Check for any bent steering arms/links.

Have the alignment checked.

just my 2 cents!:stirthepot:

nam6869usmc
05-01-2008, 06:00 PM

Thx Wizard, I'm going out now & just study all the Steering stuff you mentioned. I've wheeled this a few time hard & it might of knocked something out then. Probably call the Alignment guy tomorrow. thx again/.

nam6869usmc
05-05-2008, 08:34 AM

Well Wizard, you are a Wizard,..you were spot on with something bent & toe in problem:beer:,........bent Tie Rod(up), toe in was around 3/4".(Definitely a Rock out on the trail) The Alignment guy spotted it immediately as soon as I pulled in. He straightened it with a chain & heavy bar by hand(perfect). Then put it on his machine, set toe in 1/8" & everything else was spot on & even corrected steering wheel perfectly straight. He said very poor gas mileage & tire wear, but your brakes would lasted forever & laughed..:laughing2:

wizard13756
05-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Good to hear you are back in the game, happy trails. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

PhilD
05-14-2008, 07:30 AM
FWIW I just switched to Poly Performance Chromoly Tie Rod (http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=71&products_id=533) as my toe was getting messed up just about every wheelin' trip. I rarely hit the tie rod, but the stress from wheelin' would tweak it slightly, not by much, but enough to throw the toe off.

tgrt
06-10-2008, 05:25 PM
FWIW I just switched to Poly Performance Chromoly Tie Rod (http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=71&products_id=533) as my toe was getting messed up just about every wheelin' trip. I rarely hit the tie rod, but the stress from wheelin' would tweak it slightly, not by much, but enough to throw the toe off.

How does the Poly Performance tie rod resolve that problem? I understand it's stronger, but I'm not sure why that would be affected.

PhilD
06-10-2008, 08:06 PM
How does the Poly Performance tie rod resolve that problem? I understand it's stronger, but I'm not sure why that would be affected.The stock tie rod was getting slightly bent every time I wheeled and the Poly one doesn't. Which is what I thought I said??

tgrt
06-10-2008, 08:15 PM
The stock tie rod was getting slightly bent every time I wheeled and the Poly one doesn't. Which is what I thought I said??

You said "tweak" which I thought was ambiguous.

PhilD
06-11-2008, 08:56 AM
You said "tweak" which I thought was ambiguous.Okay, point taken :D I said "tweak" as "bend" is most probably too strong a word, "slightly bend" or "very slightly bend" work better.