Towing with a JK? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Towing with a JK?

jeepinty
04-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Well I need a vehicle with more room now that my family is growing and I have always like the unlimited JKs but I also need a vehicle I can tow my TJ buggy with. Well I put that aside until I saw this picture on the jeep website.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o244/goneyakin/ext_main_22.jpg

Now I know the towing capacity of the JK says 3500lbs and that jeep cannot weigh less than 3500-4000lbs plus the trailer at ~1500lbs and that goes well over the towing capacity of the JK.

What gives? Can I get a really light trailer and tow my TJ buggy? It doesn't weight more than 4000lbs.

Has anyone else done something like this?

cab76
04-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Well I need a vehicle with more room now that my family is growing and I have always like the unlimited JKs but I also need a vehicle I can tow my TJ buggy with. Well I put that aside until I saw this picture on the jeep website.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o244/goneyakin/ext_main_22.jpg

Now I know the towing capacity of the JK says 3500lbs and that jeep cannot weigh less than 3500-4000lbs plus the trailer at ~1500lbs and that goes well over the towing capacity of the JK.

What gives? Can I get a really light trailer and tow my TJ buggy? It doesn't weight more than 4000lbs.

Has anyone else done something like this?

The stock curb weight of a CJ-5 ranges from 2300 - 2500 lbs and it's possible that the trailer could be as light as 1000 lbs. So, technically the set up shown could be less than 3500 lbs. That said, the long wheelbase of the JK should be able to support towing slightly more than the stated limit. I would guess 3500 - 4500 lbs should be OK, particularly for short distances and as long as the hills aren't too steep.

gcg
04-26-2008, 01:08 PM
One thing you should be aware of if you tow over the manufacturer's rated towing weight is that, in the case of an accident, you might be held legally liable even if it wasn't strictly your fault. This point seems to get ignored over and over but it is important. It's not just about whether you have enough power to get it all moving or enough brakes to stop it all or enough stability to keep it under control. Those things are, of course, very important. But in the case of an accident, the law takes over and you could find yourself in a bad place. I'm not an expert on any of this but I did do some research on it before I bought a small tent trailer to tow with my XJ. It is probably prudent to check with your insurance company and the police first just to be sure you aren't putting yourself needlessly at risk.

cab76
04-26-2008, 03:45 PM
One thing you should be aware of if you tow over the manufacturer's rated towing weight is that, in the case of an accident, you might be held legally liable even if it wasn't strictly your fault. This point seems to get ignored over and over but it is important. It's not just about whether you have enough power to get it all moving or enough brakes to stop it all or enough stability to keep it under control. Those things are, of course, very important. But in the case of an accident, the law takes over and you could find yourself in a bad place. I'm not an expert on any of this but I did do some research on it before I bought a small tent trailer to tow with my XJ. It is probably prudent to check with your insurance company and the police first just to be sure you aren't putting yourself needlessly at risk.

That is a good point. If you tow over the manufacturer's limit, you do so at your own risk in case of an accident. That said, I can't think of any reason that the JK's tow rating is so low. I believe the Jeep engineers were asked that question a while back during a jeepforum q and a and they didn't give any really satisfactory answer either.

b1pig
04-26-2008, 07:14 PM
some states actually have pretty strict laws regarding towing and weight ratings.

jeepinty
04-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Well we test drove a Unlimited X with the 4 speed auto today. Actually it's sitting in the driveway cause we are testing it over the weekend. Power seems pretty limited but I have heard that picks up after a while. I don't know though, this freaking stealership wont budge off the sticker price.

Duke
04-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Well we test drove a Unlimited X with the 4 speed auto today. Actually it's sitting in the driveway cause we are testing it over the weekend. Power seems pretty limited but I have heard that picks up after a while. I don't know though, this freaking stealership wont budge off the sticker price.

Find a new dealership. Everyone around here is even dealing on Rubicons now.

skibum
04-27-2008, 10:08 AM
If it gets less than thirty miles to the gallon they will deal. I bought mine a little over a year ago (at the height of the JK frenzy) and still got over $2500 off of sticker. Try another dealer.

Dustoff '68
04-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Whatever you do, make sure you get a Class III hitch...MOPAR's hitch is only a Class I, Rugged Ridge is, like evrything else they make, a cheap Asian or Mexican knockoff of other people's products, and it's not even tow rated...buyer beware.

mrsig
04-30-2008, 10:40 AM
The stock hitch is a Class 2 not a class 1.. My LOD has a Class 3 hitch in it and I used 12 grade 8 bolts to make sure I have no problems.
http://www.aaof.us/images/jboat2.jpg
http://www.aaof.us/images/bump.jpg
http://www.aaof.us/images/bump2.jpg

Dustoff '68
05-01-2008, 04:18 AM
The stock hitch is a Class 2 not a class 1.. ]

Check the Jeep.com site, order up a hitch, and you will see on the site that it's a Class I hitch...also, a call to dealers as well as a call to Chrysler confirmed what I always knew, that indeed the facatory OEM tow hitch as installed by Chrysler and/or purchased at a dealer is in fact a Class I hitch...many have made the mistake of thinking it was a II, and even Quadratec lists the DC OEM hitch for Wrangler JK's as a Class III hitch...;)

mrsig
05-01-2008, 06:01 AM
My window sticker has it as Tow package= Class 2 receiver (max weight 3500/350 tong), Wire harnesse flat 4 plug, Trans cooler. Why is that??
Thanks

Dustoff '68
05-01-2008, 06:21 AM
My window sticker has it as Tow package= Class 2 receiver (max weight 3500/350 tong), Wire harnesse flat 4 plug, Trans cooler. Why is that??
Thanks

I have no idea why yours says that...I'm at a dealer right now waiting for my wife's car to be inspected, and as I peruse the new car lot, the JK's that have factory installed hitches all say Class I...you got me.

Eracer76
05-01-2008, 06:55 AM
My window sticker says the trailer tow package has a class II receiver hitch also.
When I was building JK's on the Jeep website in January 07', I remember the optional trailer tow package saying it was a class II receiver.
Maybe they were stronger in 07, and 08's are now class I receivers? :D

Dustoff '68
05-01-2008, 07:19 AM
It has everything to do with liability, I'm sure...again...it takes but a moment...go to Jeep.com, build a Wrangler, add the hitch, and see what you get...simple...still not convinced??? Call DC themselves...I have...they will tell you the same...now, for '07, they may have had Class II hitches as an option, but now they don't.

mizedog
05-02-2008, 06:47 AM
My window sticker just saws "Trailer Tow Group". I wonder if it's stamped on the part itself...