Low oil engine start. [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Low oil engine start.

JKmike07
04-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Ok I have a problem im not really sure what its caused from either. I think maybe a bad anti flow back or something. Lol I do not know much about Jeep engines.

When my engine sits for a few minutes and then I get in and start it I get this really fast ping sound and the low oil light is lit. Its only for about 3-4 seconds. The light and sound always stop at the same time.

I first thought that it was because I park my JK on an incline but that was not the problem it does the same thing on level grounds but not as long.

The worst was a few weeks ago it did that for a good 10-15 seconds. It has me a bit worried since engine start up tends to be not so good for a motor and the fact mine is with low oil cant make it that much better.

I did check the oil level and its a bit higher then the middle of the cross hatch area.

I use mobile 1 full syn extended life oil and there extended life filter that has 2.8k miles on it.

seer
04-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Maybe that OFilter doesn't have the right tension on the pressure relief spring. Try going back to an OEM. After market makes a lot of great stuff for our JK's , but sometimes OEM is the way to go. I always use OEM oil filters.
Cheers:beer:

WTF_LOL
04-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Possibly oil filter anti return drain spring deal like mentioned above (I am pretty sure our jeeps have one due to the position of the filter higher then the crank case but have not looked at it yet myself) but if it was that I would assume maybe there would be other symptoms other then just start up. Do you hear valve noise at any other RPM or when on corners?

When was the last time you changed the oil? Did you do it or have it done? Most time I hear about this it is from using too heavy of oil (or even once too light) or an incorrect or defective filter. I would start there. If those are not the culprit you could pull the oil pan and make sure the pump screen is not clogged but I would be surprised if that is the problem.

My only concern is this is on a new engine. Seeing as how I have heard about sloppy tolerances in a few different areas on the new Jeeps I would just be concerned that there was too much "slop" or clearence torance on the bearings. This does happen on new engines from time to time. On our engines it COULD be too much bearing clearence making reducing oil pressure and making noise on start up but not auditable during operation, this is one of the reasons I would like to get a oil pressure gauge myself. I don't really think this is the case, I just wouldn't ignore this problem as it could be a sign of something a little more serious then valve noise.

Have you been able to identify what part of the engine exactly the noise is coming from when you start up?

Personaly I would first change my oil and filter making sure I am using the correct weight and parts and if it still does it I would take advantage of the warranty and take it to the dreaded dealership.

Hope my ramble helps some. It is all I really could think of, maybe others have an idea I am missing

PhilD
04-28-2008, 06:23 AM
Maybe that OFilter doesn't have the right tension on the pressure relief spring. Try going back to an OEM.X2 I've run K&N filters on my JK since new and had no problems, but the wrong filter (or as WTF says, the wrong oil) could cause the symptoms you describe.

Just out of interest, contrary to standard oil change practice, let the vehicle sit for a while before you remove the oil filter and see if it is full, it should be.

YmansJK
05-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah you need to get this fixed as it will cause premature wear and tear on your motor. Make sure you use 5w-20 and if problem perseeds (sp) take it to the dealer.

John L
05-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Hey Mike, how's Ohio?

I changed my oil last weekend, I used (and have used) the same stuff you did, Mobile 1 and the Mobile 1 filter, M1-102.
When I started it up Moday to go to work, it knocked a little and took a bit for the pressure to get up (I have an oil pressure gauge:D). My low oil light did NOT come on.
Every morning this week, same thing. I also noticed that hiway speed pressure was about 10 lbs short of what it has been for the last 10,000 miles.

Maybe there's a bad batch of filters out there? I went today to O'reilly's and asked if they had been seeing any returns or problems out of the filters and the guy said I'm the only one buying the Mobile 1 filters....

So....I bought a Wix and changed it out and immediately noticed that there wasn't the same amount of oil in it that there usually is. This was after sitting for about 1/2 hour. Put the Wix in, and took it for a spin. My pressure is back up to normal. I'll know tomorrow morning for sure if the Wix cured it.

John L
05-02-2008, 04:53 AM
OK, this morning was just fine. No knock at startup, near instant oil pressure. Also back to normal pressure on the hiway.
Take the Mobile 1 filter and practice your best overhand throw and go to someting else.

JKmike07
05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
DAMN IT I just changed my oil tonight! And I put mobile 1 oil and filter in cause it was on sale at Advanced Auto.

But the good news is that my low oil deal is gone and no ticking at start. If it starts up again I will switch to Wix. Thanks for the heads up.

Ohio is great I just got back this weekend from Hocking Hills and the cabin we stayed at was freaking great pictures to come soon.

O yea another thing I just changed my diff fluids front and rear to mobile 1 75w90 full synthetic and it seems a little smoother.

I was surprised with all the water crossings I did the diff fluid came out ok. I was worried It was gonna be milky but it was fine.

John L
05-22-2008, 09:37 AM
DAMN IT I just changed my oil tonight! And I put mobile 1 oil and filter in cause it was on sale at Advanced Auto.

But the good news is that my low oil deal is gone and no ticking at start. If it starts up again I will switch to Wix. Thanks for the heads up.

Ohio is great I just got back this weekend from Hocking Hills and the cabin we stayed at was freaking great pictures to come soon.

O yea another thing I just changed my diff fluids front and rear to mobile 1 75w90 full synthetic and it seems a little smoother.

I was surprised with all the water crossings I did the diff fluid came out ok. I was worried It was gonna be milky but it was fine.

That's great news Mike. Looks like we both got a bum filter. I'm going to stay with Wix.

Glad that you're diggin' Ohio, your not missing much back here in OK. I ran Disney a couple of weekends ago, the river was too high to cross, so we played in the rock garden for a while, then went in the back way down by the fire station. Little Blue and the Waterfall were both under water.
We ran Rollover 1 and Rollover 2.

RotorHead
06-10-2008, 03:54 PM
I ran Mobile 1 and had the same issues. I've researched other forums and found it is very common when running Mobil 1. I switched to Royal Purple and a Motorcraft FL400S oil filter. The filter is much bigger than the NAPA filter I was using.

All is good now. No more knocking and pinging on start up. I've run Mobile 1 for years, but my JK doesn't like it. The problem may have more to do with the filter than the oil. I changed both at the same time, so I'm not sure which one was the cure.

WTF_LOL
06-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Well, I should have never posted in this thread. lol

Just after posting here I went on a trail run, on my way out I remembered that I was do to change the oil so I just hit up a Jiffy Lube on the way out. Ended up having the exact issues descibed by the OP. Anyway, chnaged back and all is normal again...

John L
06-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Well, I should have never posted in this thread. lol

Just after posting here I went on a trail run, on my way out I remembered that I was do to change the oil so I just hit up a Jiffy Lube on the way out. Ended up having the exact issues descibed by the OP. Anyway, chnaged back and all is normal again...

LOL, it just about time to loose a headlight now...:D

WTF_LOL
06-10-2008, 07:39 PM
are you trying to jinx me? :thefinger:

John L
06-11-2008, 02:15 AM
are you trying to jinx me? :thefinger:

Moi?:innocent:

ronzep
06-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum, and a new Jeep owner. I had the same issue with the mobile 1 filter. I went ahead and changed my filter to a Bosch which seems to have helped, but not as good as the original Mopar filter. When I swapped the oil I also noticed an abundance of non ferrous metallic material in my oil. Did anyone else notice this in their oil change? I really hope this didnít ruin my motor :-( I will be picking up a Mopar filter tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.

John L
06-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum, and a new Jeep owner. I had the same issue with the mobile 1 filter. I went ahead and changed my filter to a Bosch which seems to have helped, but not as good as the original Mopar filter. When I swapped the oil I also noticed an abundance of non ferrous metallic material in my oil. Did anyone else notice this in their oil change? I really hope this didnít ruin my motor :-( I will be picking up a Mopar filter tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.

I didn't notice anything foreign in my oil, but I wasn't paying that close attention either. Was this your first oil change?

ronzep
06-16-2008, 02:35 PM
This was my second oil change. My first oil change was at 1000miles, and I put mobile one 5w20, and the mobile 1 filter. I noticed after a 100 miles or so that my oil was slightly over filled, and being meticulous I emptied some oil out to level it off. That is when I noticed the semi metallic oil. So I assumed that the oil filter was to blame, and after reading this forum I went out to find a mopar, but all the parts store had was bosch, mobile one or fram. so I swapped to the bosch. which was better at startup, but not like the original filter.

Today at about 1600 miles I decided to put a mopar filter, and changed the oil. I went with Pennzoil platinum since that was all that was left in the store besides castrol syntec. So far it started up fine, and is making no noise at startup. There was no metallic stuff floating in the old mobile one oil today when I drained it, so I assume the bosch filter filtered it all. I think mobile one is selling bad filters! when I compared the filters from mopar to mobile one, to bosch I noticed that the inlet holes were larger in the mopar. I didnt rip them apart, but I will when I get a chance.
I hope the mobile one filter didn't do any permenant damage to the engine.
Thanks for helping and sorry about the long winded response.

gold knight
06-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Yeah I had the same problem with the Mobile 1 filter. Like Rotorhead, I've used them on other vehicles without any problems.

The funny thing was I had no idea what was causing it. I found the info on another forum the day after I changed the oil with Castrol GTX and a Bosch filter (Autozone was running a special on them). So far no problem at startup. I was surprised to see how black the oil was. We have 23,000 on the Jeep and I change it every at 5k.

I haven't noticed any particles when I drained it. Some say that's normal break-in stuff, but it definately shouldn't be there after a couple changes. I had the first two done by the dealer so I don't know what they looked like.

ronzep
06-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the input all. I feel that going with the stock setup is the best solution, and he seems happy now. With a lifetime powertrain warranty who needs to worry :-)