Recommend a gun for the little lady [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Recommend a gun for the little lady

Mr. T
11-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Well, I have been having conversations with the wife for a while now about getting some guns for the house. I had already figured that I was going to get a Mossberg Persuader for home protection. She had been mildly opposed to this until last night's stunner. She tells me she was gun shopping at work and that someone recommended a Beretta. Now she seems all about getting a piece.

As my research was all based around shotguns, I am clueless on handguns. She just wants something relatively small/compact. I am guessing that she looked at the Beretta 9MM. I could be (and probably am) wrong on this. I am all for her getting one, but, no clue what to point her towards. What would you guys recommend for her? And please keep price in mind... funds are not endless, and we'd like to keep this within reason.

:beer:

sniper41
11-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Tom, the reality of it is she should see what "fits" her. Some guns can be compact and all but just don't feel right, and yet someone else it feels great. Beretta's a good gun, popular because it's a name people recognize. Glock makes a good gun too and you can find them used for an even better price. A nine would suffice if it's for "home safety" a 40 would just have more umf to it a 380 would be smaller than the nine. Some of our detectives and undercovers carry 380's cause they're easy to conceal. Also good back up piece for the same reason. It's not only the size of the round but where you put that round on your target!! The hope is you never need it. Keep in mind the obvious for her- the larger the capacity magazine, the heavier the weapon gets. That why I like glocks, they have "smaller" versions of their bigger hand guns, sort of termed "off duty" but the mags are interchangible so if wanted you could carry more rounds in the "smaller framed" hand gun or use the mag that's included. Other makers have similar things so it's what feels right to her, shop around!

Mr. T
11-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks Doug. I know that a lot has to do with what feels comfortable in her tiny hands. I plan on hitting the sportsman place by my house to look around. I know that they have Glock and Sig Sauer signs out front. Both of those (as well as Beretta) are familiar names. I haven't really paid much attention to the handguns, but, now am beginning to. Almost makes me want to second guess the Mossberg, but, I am fairly convinced that the shotgun would do it. Though it'd be nice to be able to grab a handgun so that we can hit the range together, share ammo, etc. Maybe I'll grab a desert eagle... :laughing:

sniper41
11-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks Doug. I know that a lot has to do with what feels comfortable in her tiny hands. I plan on hitting the sportsman place by my house to look around. I know that they have Glock and Sig Sauer signs out front. Both of those (as well as Beretta) are familiar names. I haven't really paid much attention to the handguns, but, now am beginning to. Almost makes me want to second guess the Mossberg, but, I am fairly convinced that the shotgun would do it. Though it'd be nice to be able to grab a handgun so that we can hit the range together, share ammo, etc. Maybe I'll grab a desert eagle... :laughing:

That's a nice little gun, easy to conceal and all, you know like a shot gun! A Desert Eagle!!!

Riverkid
11-04-2009, 08:06 AM
There are quite a few ranges out here that rent all types of handguns. I'd find one near you, block out an hour or two and actually go shoot some of her choices. She will learn a lot after actually firing the pistols, and that should help to narrow down what she is looking for...:) HTH.

crusty1007
11-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Find an indoor range where they rent hand guns. Have her try them all.
Then do the research on the guns she feels comfortable with.

Im going down a similar path with the GF currently.

jk_techcrash
11-04-2009, 08:16 AM
My mom who is in her 60's just bought 38 special with a pink handle. She loves it and carries it in her purse. The 38 above is small, light and "fashionable" if she likes pink.

I would recommed letting her shoot several guns and let her tell you what she likes. It's kinda like shoes, she has to be comfotable holding it and using it.

BoomerNJ
11-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Shore Shot Pistol Range in Lakewood rents stuff & it's not really too expensive. Also, don't rule out a small revolver, like a .38 with a short barrel. They are very easy to operate & are small & pretty light compared to a semi-auto... Me? I like my Glock 23 for home, for my GF, her dad (retired LEO) and I are going to take her out & see what she is comfortable with... That's probably the best approach...

Mr. T
11-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys. I'll get her to a range to try a few out. I was just trying to get a few ideas to narrow the search.

As for myself, I am starting to lean away from the shotgun and look at a handgun for the house. It'd be easier to maneuver with, that's for sure. A Glock 23, eh? I will have to take a look at that myself.

Jaws
11-04-2009, 08:37 AM
You're welcome to try mine. A Glock 9mm and I have a .357 revolver. Revolver might be nice for a beginner, no jams or other nonsense. No boom, pull the trigger again an auto is a little more involved.

Nat likes the Glock hates the .357 however you might do well to invest in a
.22 for cheap ammo and learning how to shoot properly.

HEY, maybe we shoot have a East Coast JKO shooting day!

tkob1060
11-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks guys. I'll get her to a range to try a few out. I was just trying to get a few ideas to narrow the search.

As for myself, I am starting to lean away from the shotgun and look at a handgun for the house. It'd be easier to maneuver with, that's for sure. A Glock 23, eh? I will have to take a look at that myself.

maneuver with? where you going if you know someone is in the house? you really want to go look for them? lol...I think the purpose of the shotgun is to get them the hell out of there ASAP and you dont need to leave the room to do that. no way a handgun is going to scare them away without them seeing it. I'd rather be shooting back at them with a shotgun if it came down to that.

J. Kickerman
11-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Get her a derringer.

Jaws
11-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Shore Shot Pistol Range in Lakewood rents stuff & it's not really too expensive. Also, don't rule out a small revolver, like a .38 with a short barrel. They are very easy to operate & are small & pretty light compared to a semi-auto... Me? I like my Glock 23 for home, for my GF, her dad (retired LEO) and I are going to take her out & see what she is comfortable with... That's probably the best approach...

Yup, been there too. Nice with a nice selection but personally I don't like indoor ranges.

Mr. T
11-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Tim, first responders are the dogs. They move much faster than I do. I would let them find them. Thing is, my house is from the 50's, and split-level. Stairs and rounding corners to get to the front door, more corners and stairs to get to the back door. The dogs will sniff 'em out before I get a chance to see 'em. They identify the problem, I just want to be able to follow up on them easily.

Like I said, I planned on the shotgun originally, but, figured if the wife wants a handgun, I may as well get one as well so we can at least share the same fun (ranges, not chasing intruders).

EDIT --> Derringer... hahaha... she'd get one just because it's cute.

Jaws - I may take you up on that offer.

tpafire5
11-04-2009, 10:08 AM
My wife is 120 and absolutely loves her glock 26 with pinky extension. She shoots if very well even though she is cross eye dominant.

rob4607
11-04-2009, 10:10 AM
we just got my wife the springfield xd9m and she really likes it. we were going to get the glock 23 but she felt more comfortable with the palm safety instead of only having the finger safety on the glock, i shot it and like it as well. not bad for all thats included, one standard capacity mag and one high capacity mag, a speed loader and a holster (it sucks)and a keyed cable lock. they have some neat sales videos on their site.

i also watched a special on tv about the new taurus judge i believe was the name but it was really neat as well you can shoot .410 shells to help improve your hit ratio...

and i have a remington 850 defender next to the bed.

Broncojohn
11-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Unless she's really into guns start here with a wheel gun; something hammerless and titanium. It will be light and easy to use, no complicated motion. If she has to carry it in her purse she can fire it through the purse without a jamb.

My wife carries a Beretta Tomcat .32 auto. It functions, shoots well, and it's easy to load. She only gained two shots over her Taurus 38spl and lost some power, but it is a little smaller and hides better.

benmar2000
11-04-2009, 01:00 PM
My wife got interested in shooting about 6months ago.. She shot all of my 40cals and hated them (Too powerful for her to handle) and a 9mm.. 22's.. Etc.. She loved my 22 pistol.. But it is bulky.. It is designed for shooting competition and not CC.. Then she shot my buddies Bersa Thunder 380.. It was like love at first sight.. She can fire it.. Pretty accurately and can handle it.. Guess what I am getting her for Christmas.. :D :smokin:

Mr. T
11-04-2009, 01:37 PM
I'll have a look into that Bersa. I've been reading a lot this afternoon, and have seen that come up a few times in similar conversations. At first I was thinking about the "baby glock".

As stated above, I was going to go the shotgun route for myself, but, since she decided she wanted a pistol, I am considering one myself. I was think .40 for myself, but, then figured that 9mm would be the way to go, with the idea that it was a happy medium. if we both ended up with 9's, we could share rounds, and everything I have been reading showed that .40 rounds were pricier... am I far off? a 19 for me and a 26 for her?

justginger
11-04-2009, 01:39 PM
My wife got interested in shooting about 6months ago.. She shot all of my 40cals and hated them (Too powerful for her to handle) and a 9mm.. 22's.. Etc.. She loved my 22 pistol.. But it is bulky.. It is designed for shooting competition and not CC.. Then she shot my buddies Bersa Thunder 380.. It was like love at first sight.. She can fire it.. Pretty accurately and can handle it.. Guess what I am getting her for Christmas.. :D :smokin:

X2 on the Bersa. I'm very picky have tried out many before I bought. I ended up with the smaller Bersa CC380 for concealed carry. It isn't too heavy but feels substantial in my hand, very accurate and small enough to fit in my purse and when loaded with the right ammo will do the damage that needs done. I also have a sig 9mm but it's just too big to carry in my purse but very easy to shoot and acurate also. Tod carries a keltec 380 and I hate that thing, can't hit the side of a barn with it and the action rips my skin every time. You give up comfort for size on it.

justginger
11-04-2009, 01:41 PM
I'll have a look into that Bersa. I've been reading a lot this afternoon, and have seen that come up a few times in similar conversations. At first I was thinking about the "baby glock".

As stated above, I was going to go the shotgun route for myself, but, since she decided she wanted a pistol, I am considering one myself. I was think .40 for myself, but, then figured that 9mm would be the way to go, with the idea that it was a happy medium. if we both ended up with 9's, we could share rounds, and everything I have been reading showed that .40 rounds were pricier... am I far off? a 19 for me and a 26 for her?

Remember with 9's they can go thru and hit whoever is behind the target. Tod keeps a 45 for home defense besides the other 3 handguns we have.

Mr. T
11-04-2009, 01:42 PM
also keep in mind that I am in NJ. the odds of me (or her) being able to get a CCL is slim to none. the only people that get those are current or ex-LEO's. I don't believe that she can legally carry this in her purse, even with the permits and such out here. it'd be pretty much a home protection/range gun.

thanks for the info justginger...

Mr. T
11-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Remember with 9's they can go thru and hit whoever is behind the target. Tod keeps a 45 for home defense besides the other 3 handguns we have.

i know that i still have my homework to do, but, don't hollow points or something similar have a fragmenting feature to prevent this. (sorry if that is wrong terminology... never owned one before)

ksjeep
11-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Have her try on a Ruger 101

Mr. T
11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Have her try on a Ruger 101

I would, but, she's not a fan of revolvers. she was pretty set on something with a clip. thanks though...

Mr.RonGilbert
11-04-2009, 02:08 PM
I would, but, she's not a fan of revolvers. she was pretty set on something with a clip. thanks though...

I know you said that she is not a fan of wheel guns but has she ever shot one? I bought one of these (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=53911&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15704&isFirearm=Y) for the MrsRG and she loves it - shoots 38 or .357 and the 38 ammo isn't that much plus it is easy on the hands when she shoots. It has .357 in it for Mr. Turd.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/TheGman_/Misc/P4090242.jpg

I liked the thing so much I bought one for myself and it stays in my pocket... it's so light I forget about it. I planned on carrying my .45 again once it gets cooler but think I might keep carrying this thing. I can put it in my jacket pocket and have my hand on it (still talking about the weapon....) at all times when needed. Simply aim and shoot right out of the pocket.

If she can't get over the revolver thing then a Glock (http://www.topglock.com/glock%20specific/23.htm) in .40 cal is what I would look at or a 1911 in .38 super (http://www.gunshopfinder.com/colt/colt38super.asp) is NOICE!!! just a little pricey on the ammo.

You can get a .22 conversion for the Glock (as well as others) to practice with and the ammo is super cheap.

SgtMikey
11-04-2009, 02:21 PM
T

All good advice above already..... Do your best to not influence her to much other then keeping her on track with the kiss principal (keep it simple stupid!).

Definately shoot several different guns that you can rent at ranges. Figure out what your/her needs are. If she is not going to get a CCW and carry it for protection while out and about then you dont need some super small and dainty cute gun.

9's are an excellent choice and if its staying at home in the drawer or a gun vault then maybe get a mid sized 9 with a rail on it so you can mount a surefire x200/300 w/a DG switch (google it) because she is more then likely going to be needing that at night to defend herself and identifying her target is high on the priority list right next to going to the range and training with the new gun.

A Glock 19 or an M&P 9 are both decent quality, reliable guns that are very easy to learn to manipulate and employ defensively. The light mounted on one of these w/a DG switch would give the ability to use the gun one handed (w/training)while lighting up the target and still being able to manipulate a door, closet, lock etc.

I would steer clear of the whole 9/40/45 argument on which is best and what's a better round etc and try and stick to an easy, comfortable and reliable gun that she can and WILL use when push comes to shove. :)

Best of luck,
Mikey

Jaws
11-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Tim, first responders are the dogs. They move much faster than I do. I would let them find them. Thing is, my house is from the 50's, and split-level. Stairs and rounding corners to get to the front door, more corners and stairs to get to the back door. The dogs will sniff 'em out before I get a chance to see 'em. They identify the problem, I just want to be able to follow up on them easily.

Like I said, I planned on the shotgun originally, but, figured if the wife wants a handgun, I may as well get one as well so we can at least share the same fun (ranges, not chasing intruders).

EDIT --> Derringer... hahaha... she'd get one just because it's cute.

Jaws - I may take you up on that offer.

No problemo. During your studies :D be sure to also read into the NJ castle law and more importantly the retreat clause.

Mr.RonGilbert
11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
I would steer clear of the whole 9/40/45 argument on which is best and what's a better round etc and try and stick to an easy, comfortable and reliable gun that she can and WILL use when push comes to shove. :)

Where is the fun in that?
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/TheGman_/Misc/45.jpg

SgtMikey
11-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Brother you will get no argument from me there as I have a .45 caliber on my hip at all times when I'm out my front door ready to throw lead the size of a cookie cutter! And that's a great quote from a Texas Ranger:beer:

My only point is that a 9 is a very simple, easy and reliable tool (with the right choice of reliable gun) for persons that are not gun people and will probably be negatively swayed or unimpressed by some custom 3k 1911 that needs 3 trips to the gunsmith to work out the kinks and 2k rounds to loosen it up and break it in.......

We are talking a bump in the night, the dogs are going nuts grab and go gun for a reasonable citizen arent we:D

Here is the Surefire with the DG switch, it doesnt get easier then this on a G19 (and I'm not a Glock guy in any way).

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/dg11_large.jpg

Be` safe all,
Mikey

tkob1060
11-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Where is the fun in that?
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/TheGman_/Misc/45.jpg

:laughing2:

but they make a
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/tkob1060/junk/50-cal-glock.jpg

I still say you should go for the shotgun also :smokin:

I think with a handgun you are more likely to have to use it to get someone to stop breaking in or leave once they are in.

Mr.RonGilbert
11-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Mikey - I agree 100%... http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/TheGman_/Smileys/poke.gif

T - whatever she gets shoot, shoot and shoot... did I mention shoot?

I am going to get one of the laser target thingies to put up in the house - helps practice drawing from cover and shooting with accuracy and it is safe and cheap in the long run...

This one looks cool...
http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=2591

http://www.laserdevices.com/product.php?id=23

FUN! Watch the vid for a few until it gets to the handgun game..... will do wonders for the hand/eye coordination.
http://www.lasershot-hometheater.com/

Mr.RonGilbert
11-04-2009, 06:03 PM
:laughing2:

but they make a
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/tkob1060/junk/50-cal-glock.jpg

I still say you should go for the shotgun also :smokin:

I think with a handgun you are more likely to have to use it to get someone to stop breaking in or leave once they are in.

FAWSOME!!!

And x2 on the shotgun for home use.......

rob4607
11-04-2009, 06:03 PM
hey rg and sas, the arms room in league city is trying to get the lease on the freshly built and freshly abandoned circuit city and plan to put in a indoor shooting range. they have a female teaching the ccp class so the wife is excited. she shot the shotgun the other evening and whimpered for two days, boo hoo my shoulder but really liked shooting the 9... and wanted me to fyi ya'll for this thread...

benmar2000
11-04-2009, 06:05 PM
X2 on the Bersa. I'm very picky have tried out many before I bought. I ended up with the smaller Bersa CC380 for concealed carry. It isn't too heavy but feels substantial in my hand, very accurate and small enough to fit in my purse and when loaded with the right ammo will do the damage that needs done. I also have a sig 9mm but it's just too big to carry in my purse but very easy to shoot and acurate also. Tod carries a keltec 380 and I hate that thing, can't hit the side of a barn with it and the action rips my skin every time. You give up comfort for size on it.

Cool.. She wants to get her CC.. I told her to practice with what she will carry and use that to qualify with.. So after she get her license, she can start to carry right away.. I told her to wear it around the house until she gets her permit to get used to it.. As long as she doesn't leave the property, she is perfectly legal in South Carolina... :D :beer:

Edit: X100000 on the shotgun for home.. :D

venom
11-04-2009, 06:15 PM
My 2 bits...
for home defense, a good 12G shorty like the persuader is my first choice.
Intimidating and very, very effective.
Problem is they don't fit in the bedside table so there's the 'where to keep it' issue - thats easy to solve by building a simple sleeve mounted to the bottom of the bed frame.
Easy to reach and easy to draw.
But I also keep a 9mm with a laser in the bedside table.

Been a lot of bad guys ignore 5 or 6 cops with weapons drawn but calm RTF down when one shows up with a taser because of the laser. The little red light on the chest makes it personal :D
Plus at night, in the dark and in a full throttle situation, be nice to know within a couple of inches where that hole is gonna open up at a glance
You also get the security of knowing if theres anything/anyone else in harms way. If the laser is making it to the bad guy, there's nothing in the way that you care about that may end up with a hole instead.

That's the ONLY weapon I own with a laser.
It's definitely NOT a replacement for weapon proficiency, more of a tool to help with that specific purpose.

As far as a gun for her, like everyone else said, shoot em all till she finds one she likes.
Since we're not talking for concealed carry, size isn't an issue.
My GF really likes the Taurus Millennium Pro.

She likes the feel of my KelTec PF9 9mm, but hates to shoot it because its so light its got a pretty good kick for a 9.
But it's so small and less than 1" thick, so it's a great pocket gun for me on most shorts n tshirt or jeans n tshirt days.
If I can conceal it, I'm with the others though and there's a sig .40 or an H&K .45 under my arm :D

redwood66
11-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Mr. T,

Like others said, she should try as many as she can if you can rent them. I carry a compact 9mm S&W M&P and with the 3 different size grips you can get it to fit most any hand. I also have a Kimber Officers 4" custom .45 and I love that too but most women don't want to shoot a .45. We bought 2 Walther P22s for shooting the crap out of and they are great for practice practice practice!

Definitely shotgun for home defense. But we have wheel gun .38 shells loaded with 3 00 buck pellets for the home too!

We have way too many firearms... Wait what am I saying... We don't have enough weapons yet! I need a 50 cal!

tkob1060
11-04-2009, 07:02 PM
. We don't have enough weapons yet! I need a 50 cal!

You do mean a pistol and rifle correct? :smokin: :laughing:

redneckhouston
11-04-2009, 07:22 PM
screw all that noise........ get this chambered for .600 nitro express....yes, its real and costs about as much as a jeep, but if you ever need to stop a pissed off t-rex or a city bus this is the gun to have.

also, if 14 or 15 guys are trying to hurt you and you can get them in single file all you need is one bullet

get this...........600 nitro
Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
900 gr (58 g) SP/FMJ 2,050 ft/s 8,400 ft·lbf

.44 mag
Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
240 gr (16 g) Bonded JSP 1,500 ft/s 1,200 ft·lbf

http://www.pfeifer-waffen.at/cms/html/images/sonstige/zeliska_1.jpg

http://www.pfeifer-waffen.at/cms/html/images/sonstige/zeliska_2.jpg

redwood66
11-04-2009, 07:23 PM
You do mean a pistol and rifle correct? :smokin: :laughing:

I mean a Barrett rifle. No pistol for me. I have a .45 and that should be plenty for close encounters. Need the Barrett for the zombies!

redwood66
11-04-2009, 07:27 PM
hey rg and sas, the arms room in league city is trying to get the lease on the freshly built and freshly abandoned circuit city and plan to put in a indoor shooting range. they have a female teaching the ccp class so the wife is excited. she shot the shotgun the other evening and whimpered for two days, boo hoo my shoulder but really liked shooting the 9... and wanted me to fyi ya'll for this thread...

rob - Awesome and tell her to take as many classes as she can and practice lots. The defensive handgun courses are a blast! Lots of drawing and weapon manipulation. :beer:

Mr. T
11-05-2009, 05:02 AM
make no mistake about it, I still have every intention of getting my Mossberg, but since she is considering a pistol, I figured it'd be fun for both of us to go to the range, split boxes of rounds, and plug away for a bit. We can be competitive, so, I think it'd be fun to talk smack to each other about who's a better shot. :D I still want my Persuader, it'll just be a 2nd purchase now.

Nothing wrong with having both, right? :smokin:

Clutchfan
11-06-2009, 12:40 AM
i did what everyone else on here advised you to do, get as many hand guns as you can together and take your wife out and let her try everything untill she finds the one that fits her best. with my wife the glock 19 9mm was too big for her hands and the sharp checkering cut into her palm. the colt 1911 45 auto fit her hands much better and the weight and erginomoics of the pistol ment recoil was not an issue. then she tried the 45 auto XD and that was the one for her same weight and external dimensions as the 1911, but almost double the cappacity and no external safety to fumble with in a dark high stress enviroment. just my 2 cents worth.

gregkuiper
11-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Bought the wife a S&W Super Six for Christmas about 4 years ago. Great little revolver that shoots 38 or 357. 38's hollow points are perfect for her.

SmurfJK
11-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Here's another fan of the .380 round.

I plan on getting one for my girlfriend when Maryland approves the Walther PK380 for sale here. It's based on the P22, but with an actual decent slide.

For my home defense purposes...it's a 1911 .45 in the nightstand with a Remington 870 only 10 feet away. 18" barrel, 3" 00 buck.

BLACK08X
11-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Well, I have been having conversations with the wife for a while now about getting some guns for the house. I had already figured that I was going to get a Mossberg Persuader for home protection. She had been mildly opposed to this until last night's stunner. She tells me she was gun shopping at work and that someone recommended a Beretta. Now she seems all about getting a piece.

As my research was all based around shotguns, I am clueless on handguns. She just wants something relatively small/compact. I am guessing that she looked at the Beretta 9MM. I could be (and probably am) wrong on this. I am all for her getting one, but, no clue what to point her towards. What would you guys recommend for her? And please keep price in mind... funds are not endless, and we'd like to keep this within reason.

Well, if you are looking for home protection, a shotgun is the best way to go, preferably a pump action. Intruders will more than likely be scared away by the sound of the action, hence less likely to actually have to use it. As for as for her, a 20 gauge with some practice and she'll be ready to go. Also, with a shotgun for home defense, you should look into using bird shot... At close range, (i.e.- inside your house) bird shot will do more than enough damage, without the risk of it going through the wall with enough deadly force to harm someone in the next room. That being said there is also a handgun, called The Judge, it's a .45 magnum/ .410 shotgun in a 5 shot pistol, there will obviously be recoil, but it'll do the job. It's made by Taurus.

Finally, I know you have your heart set of a gun, and I applaud you wanting to exercise your rights, (while we still have them), but a good ol' can of wasp spray works just as well without killing someone. You can hit your aim at 20-30 feet away, it will disable your intruder giving you enough time to get away/ call the police. Also, it's better than mace or pepper spray because of the range and accuracy without getting it in your eyes, and once the attacker is arrested, they can easily be "fixed" with a trip to the hospital.

I guess I should close by saying you can't do enough to protect your home and family. I keep a pistol, shotgun, wasp spray and a .22 rifle beside my bed at night, basically because I can.

w squared
11-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Well, if you are looking for home protection, a shotgun is the best way to go, preferably a pump action. Intruders will more than likely be scared away by the sound of the action, hence less likely to actually have to use it. As for as for her, a 20 gauge with some practice and she'll be ready to go. Also, with a shotgun for home defense, you should look into using bird shot... At close range, (i.e.- inside your house) bird shot will do more than enough damage, without the risk of it going through the wall with enough deadly force to harm someone in the next room. That being said there is also a handgun, called The Judge, it's a .45 magnum/ .410 shotgun in a 5 shot pistol, there will obviously be recoil, but it'll do the job. It's made by Taurus.

Finally, I know you have your heart set of a gun, and I applaud you wanting to exercise your rights, (while we still have them), but a good ol' can of wasp spray works just as well without killing someone. You can hit your aim at 20-30 feet away, it will disable your intruder giving you enough time to get away/ call the police. Also, it's better than mace or pepper spray because of the range and accuracy without getting it in your eyes, and once the attacker is arrested, they can easily be "fixed" with a trip to the hospital.

Wow. That is a LOT of bad advice to put into one post. I don't know you, BLACK08X, but you may want to spend some time educating yourself as to what is and is not effective in a defensive situation.

A shotgun is a sound choice for home defense...when loaded with 00 buckshot, 000 buckshot, or slugs. Anything is better than nothing, but using bird shot for home defense is like trying to off-road in a Honda Civic.

Pick an effective round, and use that round. Don't nancy-pants around with some "magic" formula of one 3 inch #7 1/2 birdshot followed by a 2 3/4 inch #3, followed by two 3 inch #3....you get the picture. Every round needs to go "bang" and results in a projectile that is designed to do serious, immediate damage to your attacker.

Birdshot is meant for birds. Even at close range, it lacks the penetration needed to stop an attacker that is bent on doing you bodily harm. If there is not an attacker bent on doing you bodily harm, why are you shooting him? Also understand that bird shot at close (inside) range WILL penetrate sheetrock. The only way to guarantee that you will not shoot into the next room is not to shoot.

Do not rely on "spread" from a shotgun to hit your target. Understand that the shot pattern at close range will be quite tight, even with a full choke.

Any tall tales that you hear about the sounds of a shotgun being racked scaring off all intruders...:shaking: Understand that the only thing that will stop a determined and armed intruder is an armed person. To aim for any lower standard of being prepared is foolish.

The Taurus Judge is an acceptable home defense revolver (if you have a reason for choosing a revolver) if you load it with 45 Long Colt. By putting anything else in there, you are decreasing your ability to defend yourself.

Wasp spray? Well, at least that's a new one. :laughing:

Okay. Now that I've talked about the bad advice, here's what needs to happen.

First - understand that pistols are pistols, and long guns are long guns. The only time that you want to be using a pistol is when you can't (or can't practically) use a long gun. No pistol in a reasonable caliber will ever stop people from doing you harm as effectively as a long gun in a reasonable centerfire caliber. Period. Long guns are also easier to shoot accurately.

Second - understand that a poor caliber used proficiently is more effective than an outstanding caliber used poorly. Find a firearm that can be manipulated and fired effectively be everyone that may need to use it, and then practice, practice, practice with it. Hundreds of rounds at a minimum...preferably thousands. Ammo is not cheap, but hospital bills and funerals are more expensive.

Third - shoot at the center of mass, with a round that will stop an attacker. That means adequate penetration, and large enough to make a hole that will cause that attacker to leak important fluids at a rapid rate. Bigger holes are better, and more holes are better. Planning to "Shoot to wound" is the same as planning to fail. If what someone is doing or intends to do justifies shooting at them, it justifies shooting them in the most effective way that you possibly can. If that happens to end their life, so be it. I would rather deal with the knowledge that I killed a criminal than deal with the knowledge that I didn't, and he killed my family.

Fourth - consider lighting. Be sure of your target...illuminate what you're about to shoot. Most shotguns or carbine-type rifles can be equipped with a "tactical" style flashlight. Many pistols can be fitted with a pistol light, or you can train to use a first-rate flashlight as part of how you shoot your pistol.

Fifth - Practice some more. When you are under stress, you performance will sink to the level of your training, not rise to the occasion. When your "lizard brain" takes over because adrenalin is dumping into your system, understand that your fine motor skills will go out the window, and anything that you can't do as reflex will be almost impossible to do quickly.

Sixth - choose effective ammunition, run a minimum of 100 rounds of that exact ammo through your defensive firearm to ensure that it is reliable, and understand what your ammunition choice means in terms of over-penetration. If you've chose a .223 rifle like an AR-15, buy ammunition that is frangible. FMJ ammo for a rifle will penetrate through a lot of walls before it stops being dangerous.

Seventh - Go practice some more. When you reach the level of proficiency that you are happy with, keep practicing at least once every two weeks to stay proficient. Shoot, handle the firearm, practice loading and unloading, practice clearing malfunctions...do it enough that your fingers know their eay around the firearm on their own.

Here are some ballpark suggestions:

Pistols and revolvers:
-A double action revolver will work just fine...but train from day one to fire it double action, never single action. Just understand that there will be a long, relatively heavy trigger pull.
-A good quality semi-auto will also work just fine. If your wife has a hard time racking the slide, it is probably a matter of teaching her the right technique, not a matter of physical strength.
-If you're going to get a pistol, get one that fits her hand comfortably.
-I would hesitate to use a caliber smaller than 9mm or .38 special. Those calibers are probably workable with modern ammunition, but .40 or .45 would be preferable.

Shotguns:
-A pump action shotgun in 20 gauge or 12 gauge will work well. Look for one with an 18 inch barrel, as it will handle better in restricted spaces that way.
-If recoil is an issue, consider a recoil reducing stock from Knoxx.
-Buckshot is probably the best choice for ammunition. Reduced Recoil buckshot loads are also available.

Carbines:
-A carbine is essentially a short rifle. Without some extra hoops to jump through, you're looking at a minimum barrel length of 16 inches.
-When fitted with a telescoping stock, the AR-15 platform will comfortably "fit" a wide variety of sizes of people. My girlfriend is 5'2", and I'm 5'11". She tells me that with the stock collapsed in for her, my 9mm AR fits her so well that it "Feels like it was made just for her."
-An AR-15 with a standard capacity magazine will provide you with 30 very effective rounds before you have to reload.
-Ensure that you choose a "frangible" round to limit over-penetration. If you choose the right round, a .223 will actually over-penetrate less than a handgun round.

w squared
11-24-2009, 10:52 PM
make no mistake about it, I still have every intention of getting my Mossberg, but since she is considering a pistol, I figured it'd be fun for both of us to go to the range, split boxes of rounds, and plug away for a bit. We can be competitive, so, I think it'd be fun to talk smack to each other about who's a better shot. :D I still want my Persuader, it'll just be a 2nd purchase now.

Nothing wrong with having both, right? :smokin:

This post put a smile on my face. Having shooting feel like fun is one of the greatest motivators to practice. Practicing is the sinlge most important factor in being able to protect yourself if you ever really need to use a gun.

bsack
11-25-2009, 04:46 PM

I guess I should close by saying you can't do enough to protect your home and family. I keep a pistol, shotgun, wasp spray and a .22 rifle beside my bed at night, basically because I can.

The only thing scarier than the sound of a Chu-chunk of a pump action is the sound of a rattle can of wasp spray being shaken up. I would suggest not bringing a can of wasp spray to either a knife or gun fight. There is excellent home defense advice in this thread elsewhere and I would recommend a person look to those threads and not the ones that will get you KILLED.

Broncojohn
11-25-2009, 07:35 PM
The only thing scarier than the sound of a Chu-chunk of a pump action is the sound of a rattle can of wasp spray being shaken up. I would suggest not bringing a can of wasp spray to either a knife or gun fight. There is excellent home defense advice in this thread elsewhere and I would recommend a person look to those threads and not the ones that will get you KILLED.

Speaking of sounds... I had a neighbor that decided to buy a Tek-22 converted to auto, because he figured the sound of it going off would scare the intruder. He did live in a brick house so I figure as long as he wasn't pointing toward the windows we'd be OK.

bsack
11-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Speaking of sounds... I had a neighbor that decided to buy a Tek-22 converted to auto, because he figured the sound of it going off would scare the intruder. He did live in a brick house so I figure as long as he wasn't pointing toward the windows we'd be OK.

It's funny you mention a Tek-22. When I was a sophmore we ended up in the middle of a shootout in Charleston WV one late night on the way home from the mall. My moms boyfriend was driving and my brother and I were in the back. When the one ran past the front of the car firing behind himself at the guy firing at him we both reached up and crammed my mom down to the floor boards and yelled for her idiot boyfriend to throw the car in reverse and get us the 'f' out of there. He **** himself I believe. Scary ****. But he went out and bought a Tek-22 the next day to keep in his console. That piece of sh!t jammed about every other round but was kinda fun to fart around with, particularly with my 30 rd 10-22 clips in it. But I would prefer the wasp spray over one.

w squared
11-26-2009, 02:01 AM
It's funny you mention a Tek-22. When I was a sophmore we ended up in the middle of a shootout in Charleston WV one late night on the way home from the mall. My moms boyfriend was driving and my brother and I were in the back. When the one ran past the front of the car firing behind himself at the guy firing at him we both reached up and crammed my mom down to the floor boards and yelled for her idiot boyfriend to throw the car in reverse and get us the 'f' out of there. He **** himself I believe. Scary ****. But he went out and bought a Tek-22 the next day to keep in his console. That piece of sh!t jammed about every other round but was kinda fun to fart around with, particularly with my 30 rd 10-22 clips in it. But I would prefer the wasp spray over one.

I would agree with your description of him. A guy that goes out and buys a .22LR of any description to use for self defense would qualify as an idiot unless there are some serious extenuating circumstances :shaking:

pa_jeep
12-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Each to their own I guess.....(regarding the tec-22)

I started my wife shooting with a suppressed .22 Browning Buckmark. Great weapon for beginners and it is a bonus that it is quiet too.

She really liked the Browning, but wanted a plinker of her own. I suggested Ruger, Browning, or High Standard. I took her to a local mom/pop shop and she picked out a Ruger MKIII 5.5" Bull barrel.

I would suggest a good quality .22 for a beginner. That way she will learn the basics of marksmanship before moving up to a larger caliber. Plus they are just a lot of cheap fun!

And I can't stress safety enough. It only takes one mistake to fatally injure her or a bystander. And as others have said......practice, practice, practice.