Firearms on Airlines!? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Firearms on Airlines!?

Stickdude
11-03-2009, 08:20 AM
I want to take my .45 ACP on a commercial airline flight from WY to Tx. I've read the TSA site on the rules. I still need to contact the airline later today about doing this. Has anybody done this and if so have you encountered any problems or issues that might be good for me to know about?

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

thebigtman
11-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Very easy.

Each airline has rules posted on their website. I printed them out (only one page for Continental) and carried them with me.

For Continental I had to have the firearm in hard sided luggage or in a hard side protective container of it's own (rifles obviously travel in their own case). For pistols, I usually just put a hard sided container in my luggage. The hard sided container had to have it's own lock and you have to open it for inspection by the airline personnel as well as TSA. YOU THEN LOCK IT AND KEEP THE KEY. DO NOT LEAVE IT UNLOCKED.

About 50% of the time I have airline personnel at the ticket counter that don't know their own rules. PRINT THEM OUT! This saved me the hassle of arguing that my container stays locked and I keep the key.

thebigtman
11-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Oh, make sure you follow the rules for ammo. I usually buy it whenever I go so I don't have to worry about the hassle but I believe that you cannot have ammo in the clip/magazine.

Stickdude
11-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Good idea on carrying the rules with me, thanks. I assume when I get to my destination and am carrying my baggage with me to the rental car, that is considered concealed carry, right?

thebigtman
11-03-2009, 09:18 AM
I would assume yes.

Check to see if you have reciprocity with the CHL to/from your State and states of travel.

To be safe, I'd just keep it in the trunk. Old Johnny Law can't complain about that.

jk_techcrash
11-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Very easy.

Each airline has rules posted on their website. I printed them out (only one page for Continental) and carried them with me.

For Continental I had to have the firearm in hard sided luggage or in a hard side protective container of it's own (rifles obviously travel in their own case). For pistols, I usually just put a hard sided container in my luggage. The hard sided container had to have it's own lock and you have to open it for inspection by the airline personnel as well as TSA. YOU THEN LOCK IT AND KEEP THE KEY. DO NOT LEAVE IT UNLOCKED.

About 50% of the time I have airline personnel at the ticket counter that don't know their own rules. PRINT THEM OUT! This saved me the hassle of arguing that my container stays locked and I keep the key.
That is exactly what I did and no problems. I did however take ammunition. I simply secured it in a seperate locked container. They put a big red tag on your bag that lets everybody and their brother who handles you bag know its contains a firearm. The last time I traveled with mine was to New Orleans a few years ago so I would make sure to check the airlines web site and print out rules and maybe call if it does not address the ammunition issue.

thebigtman
11-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Just so it's clear,

Not only should you lock the container but also LOCK YOUR LUGGAGE. They hand carry these bags through the process but many firearms "get lost" in transit. TSA recommends that you lock the exterior of your luggage with your own lock.

I went back and reread my post and I know i emphasized locking the container but also lock the exterior of the luggage too.

Broncojohn
11-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Just some more input:

If you are delayed and have to change flights make sure you tell someone at the gate what is happening. No one knows what you are doing once you leave on the first plane. They're not supposed to but they can get you and your firearm seperated. If you let the Gate agent know they can notify the people to make sure your Firearm stays with you. Be proactive don't expect the airline to know what they are doing.

I work for one now and I don't know what I'm doing, but it pays the bills.:bounce:

Stickdude
11-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Good advice. I wonder what the odds are of the entire luggage piece coming up 'missing'.

Broncojohn
11-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Good advice. I wonder what the odds are of the entire luggage piece coming up 'missing'.

Better then average. Every agency involved with the airlines keeps track of lost luggage statistics. You can google and find out which one is the worst at loosing bags this month. My airline is putting out an effort to surface our ratings, we specialize at loosing bags. I will say, it will get back to you it may get more frequent flyer miles then you.

Tiburon
11-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Good idea on carrying the rules with me, thanks. I assume when I get to my destination and am carrying my baggage with me to the rental car, that is considered concealed carry, right?

Nope, not if it's unloaded and in a locked case.

Stickdude
11-03-2009, 10:01 AM
I just found this posted on another forum concerning labeling.

18 USC Section 922 e

Quote:
(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

Tiburon
11-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Nope, not if it's unloaded and in a locked case.

And ammo stored separate from the firearm.

hotrodtinker
11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Yeah, what they ^^^ said. I've traveled a couple times with firearms and it's much easier than you might think. I didn't have any trouble but I would do as thebigtman says and carry the rules with you when you go! Great bit of advice IMO. You might also want to look into getting a stouter box if you have one of those cheapie Walmart specials like I used to have (just to deter anyone prying up a side and peeking in). I personally prefer Hardigg or Pelican but they can get pretty pricey so look around.

BigMike
11-03-2009, 10:42 AM
It was a hellava lot easier pre-9/11. I never even used to tell them. Just lock the bag up and go.

tkob1060
11-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Just so it's clear,

Not only should you lock the container but also LOCK YOUR LUGGAGE. They hand carry these bags through the process but many firearms "get lost" in transit. TSA recommends that you lock the exterior of your luggage with your own lock.

I went back and reread my post and I know i emphasized locking the container but also lock the exterior of the luggage too.

I thought it was against TSA rules to lock your luggage now? I remember them changing it after 9/11, did they change it again?

thebigtman
11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
You can lock it...just takes a few extra minutes for you to wait while they scan it and such.

See http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Broncojohn
11-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Most of the time it's not an issue, but if you lock it and TSA want's in it they will break the luggage. Even if you disclosed and they inspected it before it left. I've never seen it but I have heard of it happening.

lmg5819
11-03-2009, 05:37 PM
There are TSA approved locks that they can open without having to break the bag.

txlopes
11-03-2009, 08:16 PM
i would just drop it in my wifes carry on. and when you get to texas dont worryabout the rules, we all carry guns down here. lol.

J. Kickerman
11-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I had a client in Alaska pre 9-11.
Those flights on Alaska Air were something.
Rifles in cases in the carryon bins, Husky pups either in carriers under the seat or just on a leash under the seat.
Great people too!
Those were some fun times. Thanks for this tread to revive the memories.

Stickdude
11-04-2009, 11:15 AM
i would just drop it in my wifes carry on. and when you get to texas dont worryabout the rules, we all carry guns down here. lol.
I'm going with my boss, not my wife (the other boss), but what the heck, I'll drop it in his bag, after all he is the boss. I figured you all carryed guns there, that why I'm bringing one. LOL. But now I'm afraid to bring my good .45 so I'm going to the pawn shop today and pick up one I wouldn't mind donating to some airline employee.

Roklimo
11-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I have traveled twice with a rifle. Both times it was very easy, but the gun case looked like it did a few rounds with the Samsonite gorillas...

SASQUATCH
11-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Learned something new from this thread :smokin:

Stickdude
11-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Well, the pawn shop didn't have any great deals so I picked up a new Hi-Point C9 for $150. Ran about 50 rounds through it and it worked OK. I've got it packed in it's own hard case, separate from the ammo and extra clips (in their own hard case), copies of TSA rules as well as the airlines rules on transporting firearms and ammo. Both cases are locked; trigger lock on the 9; guess I'll see what happens. Based on what I've read and the feedback from this forum, I think things will go well. Texas here I come. Going to Jewett, anybody ever head of it?

PhilD
11-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I check firearms all the time, it's easy. Tell the check-in staff you need to check a firearm, they will usually (but not always) ask you to show them that it is clear and in a hard lockable case, and that the ammo is in a box separate from the firearm. You will fill in the little tag, place it in the firearm case, then wander over to TSA and tell them you have a checked firearm in your luggage. They'll usually (but not always) check it and lock the firearm case.

Expect to come across check-in staff and TSA personnel who don't have a clue what they are doing with a firearm (looking down the barrel to see if it is clear, picking it up like it will explode or bite them, etc, etc) and be patient with them.

PhilD
11-08-2009, 12:40 PM
They put a big red tag on your bag that lets everybody and their brother who handles you bag know its contains a firearm. Not anymore, just the tag inside the firearm case. I think they stopped the tags on the outside after 9/11.

Stickdude
11-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Just got back from my trip. Everything went well. Hell, when I flew out of Billings they didn't even ask me to open the cases. They just slipped my signed tag inside my backpack with the gun case and the ammo case and sent it on. Flying back out of DFW they were a little more thorough but no problems. One of my bags got lost but not the one with the pistol.

gt3073b
11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Its easy. Tell the guy at the curb what you are doing. Remove the bolt and magazine, lock the case, and carry ammo separately. Many airlines will require ammo to be in factory boxes, so if you reload, stuff your ammo back into factory boxes.

Bryan.

brownbeaux
10-28-2010, 08:13 AM
WARNING!!!

Having traveled with some sensitive items and "goodies" to include firearms on commercial airlines. All of the above advice is great. I did learn the hard way when my plane was delayed and they sent my (M4) with goodies in a hard case and my luggage to my final destination where I would be training at a local military base. A 4 hour delay and I had no idea it was sent on an earlier flight. After checking it in I assumed it would stay with me and when I arrived at my destination I would need to sign for or show ID at the local Airline specific baggage claim. Imagine my surprise when I realized my baggage was not on the turnstyle for my flight. I asked the airline where they were and they said it had come in on an earlier flight. I proceeded to another turnstyle where lo and behold for 4 hours was my Pelican case filled with high dollar government and personal items. Lesson Learned: Ask the airline you are traveling on what is their policy on delayed flight. Many REQUIRE ID to be shown to pick it up regardless of a delay or not. Others could care less even in the event of the delay as this was the case. I now am overly cautious (and with good reason) on where and who picks these items up when they arrive. I still have not understood with all that is going on these days why no one monitors the baggage being picked up after arrival. I see tons of luggage just sitting there begging to be stolen.

Hopefully this helps somebody prevent any loss. I consider myself lucky.

PhilD
10-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I still have not understood with all that is going on these days why no one monitors the baggage being picked up after arrival. The fact anyone can walk off with your bag is hardly surprising considering there are numerous very easy ways to carry edged weapons on to planes. Instead of some preemptive measures to tackle the gaping security holes, we all have to stand there taking our shoes off because some one had a knee jerk reaction to one incident.

As to firearms in luggage, if you remember back not that many years ago, they used to put a tag on the outside of the luggage stating there was firearm inside. However, they had to stop it as so many of their employees, baggage handlers, and other airport staff were stealing them. When the ethics of the people working in supposedly secure areas is this low, then it makes you wonder how easy it would be to get whatever you wanted on to a plane.

jhixf564
11-02-2010, 05:34 PM
The airlines have lost my guns three times. Last year we had to sprint from one plane to the connecting flight. I told my buddy that are guns were not going to make it. They did not. Filled out the paperwork and had to come back the next day. Got to the baggage terminal and my guns were riding around in circles. Not sure how long but the flight landed 40 minutes prior to me getting their. My buddy told me I should have gone over and reported it lost while he walked out with it.

I might just mail them to my destinations from now on.