JK FRAME BEND [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: JK FRAME BEND

HOKIE JK
04-23-2008, 08:58 AM
I put a nice dent in what appears to be the frame of my JK. It's the bar that goes across the car right under the hinges on the front door (2-dr) does anyone know if that's actually part of the frame or just a bar that they attached skid plates too? To looks too small to be frame, but maybe

LSM
04-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Did he just call it a CAR!!!:rolleyes:

Bigjerm
04-23-2008, 09:44 AM
pretty sure its part of the skid plate stuff but not a 100% sure. Is it welded to the frame or bolted?

HOKIE JK
04-23-2008, 10:16 AM
It's bolted on, and the metal's not particularly thick. thats what makes me think it's not the frame. Might as well check though

Bigjerm
04-23-2008, 10:27 AM
It's bolted on, and the metal's not particularly thick. thats what makes me think it's not the frame. Might as well check though

not a 100% sure without looking under the Jeep but it should just be part of the skid plate that is right there.

venom
04-23-2008, 10:38 AM
not talking about the rock rail under the doors are you?

HOKIE JK
04-24-2008, 03:18 PM
No, I don't have rock rails on her.

PhilD
04-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Sounds like the transmission cross member?

gt3073b
04-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Sounds like the transmission cross member?

Probably... That thing takes a beating and is really thin metal.

The cross member is bolted on, but I heard rumors that it was $500 from the dealer, though I have not checked into it myself. I'm thinking of welding a doubler to the bottom and leading face since that and the gas tank skid seem to catch the most abuse on an unlimited. The cross member is probably the lowest point anywhere near the middle of a 2dr too.

I wonder if the long arm kit cross members cost less than the factory one? They are probably beefier too since they carry a suspension load.

Bryan.

PhilD
04-24-2008, 05:53 PM
The 2 door comes up as $645 retail, but says it is two pieces? The 4 door comes up as $292 retail and is one piece. You can get online for $445 and $200 respectively.

CO Hummer
04-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Definitely sounds like the cross member/skid. Nothing to worry about. If you don't have one with dents on it, then you are simply not wheeling hard enough!

On the contrary (to some).....I think that for a stock skid it actually pretty decent. I may weld some support on there, but it's low on the priority list for things to beef up.

The gas tank/skid on the other hand.............
I formally apologize to my EVAP canister for my comments about it being the dumbest thing on the JK (placement, that is). The gas tank placement below the frame rails - now that is truly that most idiotic design ever made on any wheeling vehicle.

PhilD
04-25-2008, 07:22 AM
On the contrary (to some).....I think that for a stock skid it actually pretty decent.I agree, I've had good luck from the stock tranny and t-case skids. Although my t-case skid was starting to show some signs of abuse, so I swapped it out for a RockHard4x4 one. I'm tempted to just reinforce the tranny skid, and add some plate to the cross member as that's getting a little beat in places too.