Muffler and / or alignment shop in CLT [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Muffler and / or alignment shop in CLT

fatherof2
11-01-2009, 05:33 AM
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a muffler and /or alignment shop in the Charlotte area - closer to Concord Mills the better.

I got failed for my state inspection because my exhaust leaks under the cab, presumeably at the slip joints. Dude says he won't pass me unless it is welded.

Alignment, well, it is just time and I want to get it done by someone who knows how to work on lifted vehicles.

Thanks in advance

tkob1060
11-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a muffler and /or alignment shop in the Charlotte area - closer to Concord Mills the better.

I got failed for my state inspection because my exhaust leaks under the cab, presumeably at the slip joints. Dude says he won't pass me unless it is welded.

Alignment, well, it is just time and I want to get it done by someone who knows how to work on lifted vehicles.

Thanks in advance

dont know of a shop but dont bother with an alignment unless you have adjustable control arms, without them the only thing adjustable is your toe in and you can do that yourself in 10 minutes

paramaniac
11-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Can they really make you get that welded? Sounds like shenanigans to me. If you are using the proper joints or whatever they're called to make the connections, just tighten them or buy new ones to solve the leak and go somewhere else to get it inspected!

Oh, and X2 what tkob said. Without, hell even with, adjustable control arms, its a driveway job (if you can use a tape measure and a wrench.

johnmcd
11-01-2009, 04:43 PM
901 Concord Pkwy S, Concord, NC Econo Lube N Tune
I dont know them, but I am a fan of the local guy, not chain shops.

And X3 on the alignment- I did the toe on a JK last weekend in the rain in a Lowes parking lot.

I'd question the welded joints, if the factory slip joints are in good shape, so be it, if there is a leak, then it does need to be fixed. Jiffy Lube was going to fail me yesterday, they said my lift was too high and their headlight beam alignment tool was too short and it would be a fail.

fatherof2
11-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah, i thought shenanigans, too. I asked if they would pass me if I wrapped that exhaust tape around the slip joints and the said nope.

Oh well, I guess just starting the inspection allowed me to get my registration renewed. So since that isn't held up, my incentive to care is way low.