I was offered a Colt AR15 trade. Need input!! [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: I was offered a Colt AR15 trade. Need input!!

Bubblegoose1
10-25-2009, 06:26 PM
I was offered, locally, a trade for my posted for sale 1979 M416A1 trailer for a "Colt Model 6920 AR15", with a Rock River lower with a 6 position stock and Tactical Solutions dedicated 22LR Upper.

I am new at these but I really want one. I was LE for 7 years but we were still carrying Mossbergs :D

Is this a good model to get?? I do need to confirm that it is a "LE" model, I guess.

Any input would be great. Thanks
Some info I found online below:

Colt Model LE 6920 AR15

Usually only available for law enforcement and military, Proguns.com is extremely proud to offer the Colt Model LE 6920 AR-15 for sale. Nearly impossible to find, the AR 15's we are offering are brand new and made by the experts at the Colt factory. Combining the best of Colt's superior craftsmanship with Proguns.com rock-bottom prices, these guns are sure to sell out fast.

Some of the specs of this Colt AR 15 include:

•Caliber: 5.56mm (.223Rem)
•Barrel Length: 16.1 in.(41cm)
•Weight: 5.95 lb. (2.67kg)
•Fire Control Selection: Safe-Semi
•Method of Operation: Gas;Direct system;Locking bolt
•Magazine capacity: 2-20 round mags
•Front Sight: Adjustable front
•Rear Sight: Target sight adjustable for windage & elevation
•Handguards: Oversized double heat shield
Chambered for the powerful 5.56mm round, the Colt Model LE 6920 also features a flattop upper receiver with a detachable carry handle, as well as a bird cage style flash hider. Superior accuracy is enhanced with adjustable front and rear sights, and with an effective range of 600m, you just can't beat the firepower, durability, and accuracy of this AR 15.

rooster
10-25-2009, 06:35 PM
WOW! Very nice rifle, Im jealous! Good luck with the trade

Bubblegoose1
10-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks. I am getting pictures from him and going to try to see it this week. But want to have some research/input info under my belt before.

Like things to look out for - cracks, breaks, bends, tweaks, etc.

sniper41
10-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Umm here it is! Sweet weapon, I love mine and would come out with it before the Benelli Super auto!!

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af166/doug5656/Misc/DSCF5066.jpg

Bubblegoose1
10-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Very nice. Thanks for showing a pic. Is there anything I should really watch for when checking it out??

Umm here it is! Sweet weapon, I love mine and would come out with it before the Benelli Super auto!!

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af166/doug5656/Misc/DSCF5066.jpg

ulev1st
10-26-2009, 04:24 AM
I'm a little confused....if it is a "Colt" why does it have a "Rock River" lower? That is a contradiction of terms..it's either a "Colt" (complete upper and lower assys) or a "Rock River" CLONE of a Colt. MAJOR PRICE DIFFERENCE AND VALUE! All of my "Colt" AR's CLEARLY are marked Colt Manufacturing on the lower reciever..I have a couple of other "variants" ( Bushmaster , etc..) and they are VARIANTS..Not NEARLY as valuable as a true Colt! They look, function and run the ammo the same but resale value is a major difference! Better check it out to make sure you are getting what you THINK you are getting!

dmhines
10-26-2009, 04:40 AM
Colt will be 100% Colt ...

Sounds to me like somebody just tried to replicate a Colt 6920 using a Rock River Lower. Are they including a 5.56 upper or just a 22 LR upper?

Sounds like there isn't a single Colt part on it. I would say a dedicated 22 LR upper goes for $500 and a RRA complete lower goes for about $300 .... SInce these are retail I would the rifle is worth maybe $600 trade value.

The real Colt 6920's go for around $1200 - $1300 last I looked.

lockednloaded
10-26-2009, 10:35 AM

Sounds to me like somebody just tried to replicate a Colt 6920 using a Rock River Lower. Are they including a 5.56 upper or just a 22 LR upper?

Sounds like there isn't a single Colt part on it. I would say a dedicated 22 LR upper goes for $500 and a RRA complete lower goes for about $300 .... SInce these are retail I would the rifle is worth maybe $600 trade value.

What he said.^^^ Sounds like maybe a Colt upper on a RRA lower. Not a bad combo, but it isnt a true Colt. If you got both uppers, the Colt and the 22 conversion, I'd say it isn't a bad trade.

give me vtec
10-26-2009, 11:06 AM
yeah... I hear the colt ar's are the best.

I also heard that you can only mate a colt upper with a colt lower... slight difference in the lower???? Can anybody confirm this???

paragon
10-26-2009, 11:14 AM
you don't say it's a Colt model X and then say it has a different make of lower, different make of upper and a chambered for a different caliber.

sounds sorta scammy

lockednloaded
10-26-2009, 11:15 AM

I also heard that you can only mate a colt upper with a colt lower... slight difference in the lower???? Can anybody confirm this???

It's true. Colt has bigger breakdown pins than other manufacturers. Colt is a damn good brand of AR, but not the end all be all of AR's. You can't go wrong with one, just don't drink the Kool Aid that Colt is the only brand to buy. I've got a DPMS, and as much as they are bashed, I love mine. Works flawlessly.

Bubblegoose1
10-26-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm a little confused....if it is a "Colt" why does it have a "Rock River" lower? That is a contradiction of terms..it's either a "Colt" (complete upper and lower assys) or a "Rock River" CLONE of a Colt. MAJOR PRICE DIFFERENCE AND VALUE! All of my "Colt" AR's CLEARLY are marked Colt Manufacturing on the lower reciever..I have a couple of other "variants" ( Bushmaster , etc..) and they are VARIANTS..Not NEARLY as valuable as a true Colt! They look, function and run the ammo the same but resale value is a major difference! Better check it out to make sure you are getting what you THINK you are getting!

What he said.^^^ Sounds like maybe a Colt upper on a RRA lower. Not a bad combo, but it isnt a true Colt. If you got both uppers, the Colt and the 22 conversion, I'd say it isn't a bad trade.

Great information that I did not know. Thank you very much. I will be sure to quiz him on all of this. The offer seemed better than true when I started seeing pricing online, but this info is real stuff.

Fred :beer::beer:

tpafire5
10-26-2009, 11:26 AM
ask him where the colt lower is, if you can get the complete colt it would be worth more.

give me vtec
10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
It's true. Colt has bigger breakdown pins than other manufacturers. Colt is a damn good brand of AR, but not the end all be all of AR's. You can't go wrong with one, just don't drink the Kool Aid that Colt is the only brand to buy. I've got a DPMS, and as much as they are bashed, I love mine. Works flawlessly.

yeah I hear ya... I have a couple of stags and a yankee hill. Great guns.

I like my m1a socom2 the best though... cant beat a piston operated .308. And it skirts around Cali's strict assault rifle codes. That means detachable mags. just wish I could do this mod though... it sucks to be just a few hundred bucks and a couple of laws shy of having this bad boy.

http://www.vltor.com/images/SocomGreen_on_ground615x432.jpg

usmcdoc14
10-27-2009, 08:42 PM

depends on the upper/lower and takedown pin size.
in simple terms: yes and yes with adapter takedown pins.

Colts are not "the best" just the "most hyped"

That trade sounds..umm fishy :laughing: ask for an EXACT parts breakdown and we will tell you what its worth

Bubblegoose1
10-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks to all of you for the information on this trade I was offered. The guy bugged out after I asked to see photos. Haven't heard from him. Done with this dude.

I will wait for a cash buyer instead.

Take it easy.