homebrew HID off road lights and they ROCK! [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: homebrew HID off road lights and they ROCK!

venom
04-14-2008, 08:35 PM
The front of my Jeep looks like I own stock in a light company, but for a reason.
I spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere at night catching rattlesnakes so my lights are important to me.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/gallery/files/1/4/6/fishinjeep.jpg
Anyway, I was walking through the local Harbor Freight and in the clearance pile was a HID upgrade kit for 9006 headlights marked down from $160 to $80 so I figured what the hell, I though I would try to adapt them over to a pair of my $17 cheapie off road lights.
A little quick fabrication to make the bulbs fit the housings, pulled the grill and found a couple of places to tuck the ballasts away then swapped them with the lights on my winch hoop.
They're bright as HELL!
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/gallery/files/1/4/6/lights.jpg

Big A
04-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Looking good!

I am wanting to add some extra lights on mine also!

mizedog
04-17-2008, 01:28 PM
More info please...:eyemouth:

07_Rubi
06-18-2008, 05:14 PM
nice, how did you mount the lights to the tube @ the bumper? Just drill holes straight thru?

venom
06-18-2008, 08:00 PM
I made a mount and drilled and tapped 2 holes in the hoop to bolt it on

100dollarman
06-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Venon- very nice mod. I have 4 HID lights on the top of my sandrail that I paid $450 each for a couple of years ago! They have been coming down in price, but still expensive. HK also sells some cheapie HID offroad lights that I am going to look into.

You may have said before, but tell us the story on you and rattlesnakes- hobby? business? whatcha got going?

We come across alot of snakes out here, too. When I was a teenager, there was a guy in town here that would pay me $5 a piece for 'em. Some days I could catch 5-6-8 rattlers. I was a rich 14 yr old! He would make hatbands, belts, etc. I still have a couple of skins that I did way back in the '70s!

:beer:

venom
06-18-2008, 10:00 PM
You may have said before, but tell us the story on you and rattlesnakes- hobby? business? whatcha got going?

I'm a herpetology supervisor for the zoo in abilene, texas.
Been specializing in venomous snakes and crocodiles for just under 20 years, but I have a few hundred animals in the collection at the zoo ranging from critically endangered frogs to giant pythons, cobras, fish, invertebrates, etc.

As far as the lights, check your local HF and see if they have any HID headlight upgrade kits left on clearance. A little bit of retrofit fabrication and you can upgrade most any lights with them.

I'm thinkin if I can find the cash anytime soon, I may have to pick up that M416 to drag behind the jeep, got an idea for a fliptop camper kinda rig in mind