Another Ujoint bites the Dust [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Another Ujoint bites the Dust

YmansJK
04-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Caps came of the ujoint of my friends rubicon and broke the axle shaft. However he just put 5.13 gears so manufacturer won't warranty it. This is really happening alot and I;m thinking about tackwelding my caps on. Does anybody know of another way to keep these babies on cause I can't break a front axle shaft. Its my DD

RotorHead
04-14-2008, 04:35 PM
That's all I know to do. I'm going to have mine welded when I get my gears installed.

WTF_LOL
04-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Welding the caps on is the only thing I have heard as well. You may be able to use full circle clips but they still wont stop the caps from rotating.

I plan on tack welding my soon

mytjjeep
04-14-2008, 08:21 PM
I just tacked mine up and found a set of spares if you look around you can find a whole set of shafts on the internet (used takeouts) for 50-75 dollars shipped. They are tacked up too and it will give you ready spares if you still break something. Mines a daily driver also, so I had to come up with a solution till I can afford the next lump of cash.

NE Wrangling
04-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Can you post up a few picks of the tack welds. I'm debating on doing this but I've seen no issues so far.

WTF_LOL
04-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Can you post up a few picks of the tack welds. I'm debating on doing this but I've seen no issues so far.

I have not researched or really taken a look at the JK u joints yet but is there anything different on the new ones that should or would keep the ears from stretching or the caps coming off?

Just curious if anybody has any info on this as I had not seen anything about it yet

PhilD
04-15-2008, 06:34 AM
if you look around you can find a whole set of shafts on the internet (used takeouts) for 50-75 dollars shipped. Where?

skibum
04-15-2008, 10:27 AM
OK, in the proactive maintenance department, I'm considering tack welding the caps on my u-joints. One, because I don't want them to come off as so many have and destroy the axles and two, because I suspect that Chrysler would come up with some BS reason for not honoring their useless warranty if they did waste the axles. My question is this............If you put that much heat into the caps, isn't the grease going to melt out of your u-joint and screw things up anyway? :confused:

WTF_LOL
04-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Just barley hit them, it shouldn't take enough to make them that hot

skibum
04-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Just barley hit them, it shouldn't take enough to make them that hot

One tack per cap or more? What do you guys do? :confused:

WTF_LOL
04-15-2008, 11:45 AM
some people do two some do three. I wouldn't think more then three would help anymore but I don't think 1 is enough. I would do three personally.

Just wait a couple minutes between each weld for it to cool.

skibum
04-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks........off to fire up the welder. :)

airric00
04-15-2008, 12:02 PM
take pics if you can and post it...

WTF_LOL
04-15-2008, 12:09 PM
one thing you can do is to paint or somehow mark the caps to so you can see if they start spinning.

when you are done feel free to swing by and do mine :D:beer: I have no garage or equipment right now (just moved here)

Its not THAT far

mytjjeep
04-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Sorry no pics but I'll try and get some up when I get the Jeep back, it's getting the gears relooked at because of some noise. There really isn't much to see after you put some paint on em,I just put three small tacks on them. I looked on Ebay and found a set from a guy out in Utah I believe and got them for 50.00 plus 20.00 shipping. Just keep looking and you'll find the factory takeouts from someone at a cheap enough price. If they would've been much more expensive I'd have just chanced it and saved for the chromoly set next year.