Rock Hard rear bumper with tire carrier [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Rock Hard rear bumper with tire carrier

Alec W
04-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I ordered one from Phil at TrailDuty (http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?cPath=113_130_354&products_id=492) on Tuesday and it arrived today (Fed Ex ground). TD continues to amaze me with service. Yeah, I do know Phil personally and have done for a few years, but still thatís awesome and the same as he does for everyone.

Pics to come tomorrow. Iíd put it on tonight but this thing is so solid my wife canít even lift one end for long enough to help me.

Alan, guess what Iím bringing over to your house tomorrow for muscle help ;)

Duke
04-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Once you've got it on take a couple of pictures at the rear corners. I want to see how much it wraps around the corner and how close it gets to the rear wheel well. I'd also be curious as to what you think it might take to raise the bumper 1", since I have a 1" body lift.

CO Hummer
04-12-2008, 02:13 AM
Alan, guess what Iím bringing over to your house tomorrow for muscle help ;)

Bring it!

But don't even think of leaving that POS stock bumper here when you leave! :D :D

Alec W
04-12-2008, 05:24 AM
But don't even think of leaving that POS stock bumper here when you leave! :D :D
I have a plan, but need your POS stock bumper too. Weíre going to make a POS old Jeep parts tree and plant it in a yard in Highlands Ranch late one night :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

1TallJKer
04-13-2008, 07:32 PM
I know a guy who I believe is running that same bumper on his JK, if I'm correct, it looks and works beautifully.

VfrRider
04-14-2008, 12:58 PM
I hope you have better luck with your bumper than I have with mine. My Rock Hard is a total POS. I've had it on since late last summer (less than a year) and it is a rusted, rattling piece of junk. Major lesson learned. I'll be taking it off, removing the tire carrier, paying to have it sandblasted and LineX'd. I'll be posting full pictures and my opinon of it after having used if for several months. It won't be pretty, but at least I can openly post my experiences here without the fear of being edited or banned.

I hope yours works out better for you.

YmansJK
04-14-2008, 04:14 PM
I installed a rockhard rear and setup right it is a solid system. Sorry for your bad experiences but I love rockhard products. The rusting was it due to scraping because you do have to touch up after you scrap the powder coat off. The rattling was because it was not setup right. I have never had one rattle. IMO bad install and possible defective. You should have called rockhard and they would have worked with you. BTW it follows the body lines very well and tucks the corners perfectly. I really want this bumper.

YmansJK
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Do you want to sell it?

I hope you have better luck with your bumper than I have with mine. My Rock Hard is a total POS. I've had it on since late last summer (less than a year) and it is a rusted, rattling piece of junk. Major lesson learned. I'll be taking it off, removing the tire carrier, paying to have it sandblasted and LineX'd. I'll be posting full pictures and my opinon of it after having used if for several months. It won't be pretty, but at least I can openly post my experiences here without the fear of being edited or banned.

Alec W
04-14-2008, 06:49 PM
No long term results from me yet but I am impressed so far. The install took some time and we did have to take it off a few times to get the shims setup right but the end result was a solid double ďclickĒ lock with no rattles.

There are some areas where the powder coating was coming off but honestly thatís normal when you ship stuff this heavy. Just rattle can it before it gets rusty.

Itís a mute point since if you use your JK as intended itís going to get banged up anyway.

Alec W
04-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Once you've got it on take a couple of pictures at the rear corners. I want to see how much it wraps around the corner and how close it gets to the rear wheel well. I'd also be curious as to what you think it might take to raise the bumper 1", since I have a 1" body lift.

I donít have the JK at home to take pics. Iíd hazard a guess and say that it will look bad with a body lift. Iíd say thereís no way to lift it an inch, and from memory thereís 8 bolts holding it on and not enough free metal surface to re-drill anything.

Dump the body lift do it right ;)

VfrRider
04-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I installed a rockhard rear and setup right it is a solid system. Sorry for your bad experiences but I love rockhard products. The rusting was it due to scraping because you do have to touch up after you scrap the powder coat off. The rattling was because it was not setup right. I have never had one rattle. IMO bad install and possible defective. You should have called rockhard and they would have worked with you. BTW it follows the body lines very well and tucks the corners perfectly. I really want this bumper.

Thanks for your input, but I installed it correctly, and it did not rust due to scrapes. It is rusted all over, the powdercoat flaked off everywhere. The carrier design allows it to rattle when going over the smallest bumps. Go over train tracks or drive in michigan on our pothole covered roads and it bangs and rattles like crazy. I adjusted it per instructions, and even changed the spacers to see if it needed to be adjusted up or down after it rattled so bad. It's not defective, just a bad design.
The powdercoating is terrible. You could scrape it off in spots with your nail. Call Rockhard? For what, to have me go through the pain of unbolting it, somehow packing it and sending it back so they can send me another one that may or may not be better, no thanks. Maybe I'm a bit too harsh on manufacturers, but I don't expect to have to do anything, and I mean anything, to make something I bought "right". No sending it back, no begging over the telephone, or complaining for that matter. I don't troll and post just to see my messages on boards, I've had this bumper since last summer, and this is the first post I've made about it. I chalked it up as a learning experience. To make it "right", Rockhard would have to refund my money, and pay me for wasting my time installing and uninstalling it, and since there is no chance of that, no bother. I'll post pics, write about my experience, bad as it may be, and let readers weigh that with the positive experiences that I am sure are out there also. :smokin:

JimP
04-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Had mine on for 2 trips through the Rubicon and a week in Baja, some of it on the Baja 1000 course. The only rattles I got were from not doing the adjustments completely and from the Hi-Lift base-plate rattling. I'm going to fix the Hi-Lift rattle by filling the baseplace with silicone and stuffing the jack back in there per what I've heard from another wheeler. No prob with the finish except for what I scraped off on rocks and had to repaint. I carried 2 Jerry cans of fuel on the Baja trip and the weight didn't seem to bother it (took the driver's side bracket off for now until I need it again) My guess is that you had a bad powder-coat job and it would have been replaced if you would have asked; however I agree that it would be a major hassle getting it off and on again. Easier to just repaint it, which you would eventually have to do anyway. I like the way the Hi-Lift mounts, the good gas can mounts, the strong pivot with its wheel bearing, the provisions for CB antenna,the layout for the hitch and the clevis mounts. Also the provision for locking on the Hi-Lift using a trailer-hitch lock, which you can just see as a silver spot under the spare tire on the passenger-side shot. Since it's so strong, it's a little heavier than others. I installed some air bags in the springs to adjust the rear for varying loads, so no further problems there. Nothing is perfect, however based upon my experiences, I would get exactly the same setup next time.

Bakerjk
04-22-2008, 01:12 PM

There were some that had a problem with the powder coating(mine included). Call RockHard and they will take care of it.