Stupid Chrysler... [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Stupid Chrysler...

JR
04-11-2008, 09:54 AM
...I'm ranting.

Stupid hood hinges. I'm trying to design new hood hinge mounted hi-lift brackets, and as usual I'm hating the design of the JK. The TJ was so much better for this kinda stuff..

...end rant. :beer:

Bigjerm
04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
PLEASE put me on the list for first buy! I have been wanting some for awhile. People may say its a bad place to mount a highlift and I agree if your short but I am not, reaching it will be an ease for me.

dyolfknip
04-11-2008, 01:54 PM
...I'm ranting.

Stupid hood hinges. I'm trying to design new hood hinge mounted hi-lift brackets, and as usual I'm hating the design of the JK. The TJ was so much better for this kinda stuff..

...end rant. :beer:

Uuum...wasn't the TJ was a Chrysler product also?:grinpimp:

venom
04-11-2008, 02:07 PM
My mount fab went pretty simply.
I used 2 1/2" square tubes about 2.5" long running nose to tail with 2 holes a piece bolted onto the hood side hinges. Bought longer bolts at Lowe's. Then welded a 1" square tube across the 1/2" tubes, drilled 2 holes and welded bolts through from the bottom to set the hi-lift on then used a couple of wing nuts to hold it down. I added a small bracket to make sure the hi-lift handle didnt contact the hood.
Took about 2.5 hours.

Only problem I've had has been that my windshield squirter is mostly blocked.
Strength wise though, you can shake the hell out of the Jeep by grabbing the jack. There's no contact with the paint anywhere except where the 1/2" tubes run down the hinge.
I didn't have any gasket material to put between the mount and the hinges so I used 2 layers of duct tape to protect the paint temporarily.
It could use some cleaning up and 'prettyfying' but it works.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/gallery/files/1/4/6/IMG_1356.jpg

JR
04-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Uuum...wasn't the TJ was a Chrysler product also?:grinpimp:

yes but the hood hinge mounts were flat, 3-bolt, and much easier to work with. I wasn't saying the TJ wasn't Chrysler, I was just *****ing about their JK design for a minute.

My mount fab went pretty simply.
I used 2 1/2" square tubes about 2.5" long running nose to tail with 2 holes a piece bolted onto the hood side hinges. Bought longer bolts at Lowe's. Then welded a 1" square tube across the 1/2" tubes, drilled 2 holes and welded bolts through from the bottom to set the hi-lift on then used a couple of wing nuts to hold it down. I added a small bracket to make sure the hi-lift handle didnt contact the hood.
Took about 2.5 hours.

Only problem I've had has been that my windshield squirter is mostly blocked.
Strength wise though, you can shake the hell out of the Jeep by grabbing the jack. There's no contact with the paint anywhere except where the 1/2" tubes run down the hinge.
I didn't have any gasket material to put between the mount and the hinges so I used 2 layers of duct tape to protect the paint temporarily.
It could use some cleaning up and 'prettyfying' but it works.

Thanks for the input on the strength issues and such...that was definitely a concern that was lurking in the back of my mind.

Oh and I'll watch the squirters and make sure they clear before the design is finalized and put into production!