Kill Switch? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Kill Switch?

Dragline
04-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Anyone have a anti theft kill switch installed on their JK? If so what type, ignition, fuel, etc. and where can I get one?

Eracer76
04-09-2008, 11:06 PM
All the JK's have one, there is a chip in the key and the Jeep will only start if the right key is in the ignition, nothing else will start it, not even hot wiring it.

Bigjerm
04-10-2008, 04:57 AM
yeah but you can always get a key cut from the dealer. Sure they are “suppose” to follow the guidelines to verify it is you who owns the car that is requesting a key but sometimes friends and money is all it takes. I only say this because I have friends who go their car stolen, no damage to locks, ignition, steering column, not hot wire and with 1 guys car, a key left in the ignition. Its rare I am sure, but it can happen.

Eracer76
04-10-2008, 06:27 AM
yeah but you can always get a key cut from the dealer. Sure they are “suppose” to follow the guidelines to verify it is you who owns the car that is requesting a key but sometimes friends and money is all it takes. I only say this because I have friends who go their car stolen, no damage to locks, ignition, steering column, not hot wire and with 1 guys car, a key left in the ignition. Its rare I am sure, but it can happen.
Even a cut key from the dealer will not start your Jeep without the key being programmed into the security system. You have to have two programmed keys to program a third, or you have to have the dealer hook up to the Jeeps computer and program the key.
So no Joe schmo can just go to the dealer and get a cut key and start your Jeep.

Your friends who had their car stolen either didnt have this system, or the thieves just used a flat bed to haul off the car.

Bigjerm
04-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Even a cut key from the dealer will not start your Jeep without the key being programmed into the security system. You have to have two programmed keys to program a third, or you have to have the dealer hook up to the Jeeps computer and program the key.
So no Joe schmo can just go to the dealer and get a cut key and start your Jeep.

Your friends who had their car stolen either didnt have this system, or the thieves just used a flat bed to haul off the car.

now that is some interesting stuff. I shall have to research further into it.

yeah the flatbead thing didnt happen. I doubt anyone pulled up in the mall parking lot or circuit city in the middle of the day to haul it off so they must not have the system that requires a chip in the key.

John L
04-10-2008, 07:10 AM
I used to "help" out a repo guy, he has a slick setup. Standard, regular chevy pickup, no tailgate, and a really neat hydraulic system mounted in the bed. He would backup to the car, extend the arm, which had short spikes on each end and lowered itself as it extended, raise the arm to snag the car and drive off. Took about 10-15 seconds to get a car. After a couple blocks he'd stop and rig it properly.
Driving around it didn't look like a repo vehicle at all, just a beat up old truck. Even if he had to grab the wrong end, he'd pull it out enough to manuver to the other side and do the deed. That took a bit longer, but not much, this guy was really good at it.

Dragline
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
All the JK's have one, there is a chip in the key and the Jeep will only start if the right key is in the ignition, nothing else will start it, not even hot wiring it.

Yup, I know about the chip but I need something more! As my JK gets hijacked by someone (she has a key) whenever it is in the driveway and I need to put a stop to that. More to this story but I can't go into detail. I need something in addtion to the OEM key...

skibum
04-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Denver Boot? :laughing2:

Dragline
04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Denver Boot? :laughing2:

LOL... Size 12 boot would be more like it...

neoxxis
09-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Reviving an old thread...

If you people use "kill switches" you always have to remember to filp it off when you leave the Jeep...
Not user friendly.

I have an Active RFID switch, which consists of a wireless controller connected to some "vital" circuit in the Jeep.
I also have a key fob on my key ring.
When you get within range, configurable from 5' to 400', the circuit on the controller closes and you can start the engine.
When your key fob is not within range the engine will never start.

More practical than a switch IMO.

You install it and never think about it again. :)

Obstruction of Justice
09-12-2010, 08:15 AM
That sounds like a pretty tric system, I'm gonna have to look into this.

bonecollector
09-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Yup, I know about the chip but I need something more! As my JK gets hijacked by someone (she has a key) whenever it is in the driveway and I need to put a stop to that. More to this story but I can't go into detail. I need something in addtion to the OEM key...

Talk to the steelership maby they can recut and re chip the ign, its in your name right. Might cost u but its got to be better than loosing it. ( or chase the bitch down and repo the key with extreme force)

goldenboy
09-12-2010, 09:56 AM
i just had to have a new key made and if you take it to the stealership they can unprogram keys from the computer but you need to bring to them the keys you want to keep programed.

mikejwil
09-12-2010, 01:07 PM

If you people use "kill switches" you always have to remember to filp it off when you leave the Jeep...
Not user friendly.

I have an Active RFID switch, which consists of a wireless controller connected to some "vital" circuit in the Jeep.
When you get within range, configurable from 5' to 400', the circuit on the controller closes and you can start the engine.

Sounds cool... where did you get it?

neoxxis
09-12-2010, 01:34 PM
My buddy sells them.
I can get them for almost cost price... :)
I can get some for those who want one but you'll have to deal with the install, etc.
I can provide the wiring schematics, etc.
10-4.

BumpInTheRoad
09-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Old thread recently revived, and I have a suggestion for you.

The easiest and cheapest solution is to tell the person to return your key by the end of the day our you'll file a police complaint, and if she takes the Jeep again you'll file a stolen vehicle report.

If the threat of getting arrested doesn't work and you're willing to follow-through on the police involvement, get a game camera from an outdoors store and mount it with a good view of your JK. When someone approaches the Jeep it will take a time-and-date stamped photo, which you can show the police as evidence that she's the one taking your Jeep.

Or you can just spend $50 on one of those steering wheel locks and call it a day.

Sunburst Sahara
09-12-2010, 08:43 PM
semi-related

I knew a guy who had a car with a push button for the starter, just turned the key to the run position and push the button. But he also had like 6 toggle switches, the ones that are on/off/on switches. and you had to flip them in a certain order for the starter button to get power. When he got out he would just flip them all up or down. So if ya got some extra switches or spaces......

John L
09-13-2010, 01:17 AM

Not user friendly.

Just like my Harley. I don't even lock the ignition anymore. No fob, no start.
Great idea for a Jeep, good job!

Jock191
09-13-2010, 02:35 AM
Just get this and dont forget to take it out. http://www.ravelco.com/

neoxxis
09-13-2010, 04:29 AM
Just get this and dont forget to take it out.

Yeah, this part is the problem.

For around the same price you have a wireless system that you can forget about...
This way, you will NEVER leave your Ravelco (or cheapo kill switch) connected by error...

Ravelco is 1980 technology... :shaking: