Bye Bye mod money! [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Bye Bye mod money!

lockednloaded
10-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Well, I wont be upgrading anything on the Jeep for quite a while. I am the new owner of a DPMS AP4. Got a great price on it, but being a college student, I am now a new definition of broke. It's so worth it. I haven't had a chance to shoot her yet, but when the weather clears, I'll get some trigger time. It's going to stay pretty stock for right now, maybe a Hogue or Magpul grip to start off... Then Eotech and Surefire goodies will go on, among other things. It was a difficult decision for me, between Jeep parts and AR purchase. I went with the AR with the logic that Jeep parts won't become illegal any time soon. If I wasn't so computer disabled, I'd post pics. Thanks for listening, I'm like a proud daddy!

Big A
10-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Congrats!

Ik would love one of those as well!

Mikey's Rubi
10-13-2009, 06:38 AM
good gun...consider buying another BCG as a spare though.

lockednloaded
10-13-2009, 10:05 AM
good gun...consider buying another BCG as a spare though.

I've heard that from some people. Any reccomendations on brand of bcg?

give me vtec
10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
good choice... I bought all my guns first too. I used the same logic.... jeep parts are not going to be illegal anytime soon.

give me vtec
10-13-2009, 10:10 AM
I've heard that from some people. Any reccomendations on brand of bcg?

I would buy a couple... this is the one I bought as a spare. The chrome ones are supposed to last longer. I cant afford enough ammo to find out so I cant tell you from personal experience.

http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar-15-mil-spec-parts/bolt-ar-15-bolt-carrier-and-bolt-chrome-national-match-young-manufacturing-young-match-chrome-053-no-detail.htm

Mikey's Rubi
10-13-2009, 11:09 AM
BCM, Striker. For sure get an extractor upgrade from BCM as well.

lockednloaded
10-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I did a little research on ar15.com, and everyone seems to bash DPMS. If its not a Noveske or Colt, they think its junk. I had a chance to talk to some friends who actually own a DPMS, and they love theirs. A lot of PD's use them as patrol rifles, with little complaint. I got a great price on it, and for my purposes, it'll work just fine. I don't plan on taking it to Afghanistan or Iraq to combat terrorists, just some casual shooting and as a "just in case gun". I'll definitely get a spare BCG and extractor. I'm going to purchase 500 rounds of 5.56 here soon. Anyone have experience with TAPCO p-mags? Im looking at them, and they seem like pretty good mags for the price... My dad used alot of TAPCO parts to build his SKS, and they were all quality...

Mikey's Rubi
10-13-2009, 11:57 AM
DPMS are sweet guns. First thing to do though BEFORE you shoot it...disasemble it and review it for problems. If you have never owned an AR-15 get a friend who has one give it a once over with you while you take it apart and put it back together.

Second, DO NOT EVER shoot that Wolf ammo. Any non-copper/brass ammo sent through the gun with void your warranty. Wolf is that silver crap...I think there is another type (Blazer or something). Get the big yellow box of Remmington and you will be good.

Third...shoot the hell out of it and then go onto AR15.com and laugh at them because you got a great price on a great gun.

Jaws
10-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Second, DO NOT EVER shoot that Wolf ammo. Any non-copper/brass ammo sent through the gun with void your warranty. Wolf is that silver crap...I think there is another type (Blazer or something). Get the big yellow box of Remmington and you will be good.

Nonsense... Wolf is dirty but won't mess anything up, fine for cheap(er) plinking. If it voids your warranty then no but else who cares..

Mikey's Rubi
10-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Not my opinion, its a fact. I could care less...wolf hasn't failed me ever so when I found this out I was a little suprised.

lockednloaded
10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
My buddy shot Wolf through his Bushmaster, and he had no problems with it. Just made his rifle dirty as hell. It's cheap, but works. Ive heard a lot of mixed reviews on it, something about the case expanding differently than brass and causing weird pressure in the chamber... As for a once over, my dad was a gunners mate in the Navy for 20 years, and has plenty of experience with M-16's. I'll have him take a look at it, check for irregularities and whatnot. I'm getting a pretty good deal on M855 ammo through the store I bought the rifle from. Everyone is pretty pleased with the M855. It's what the troops are shooting, so it's good enough for me. I plan on keeping a mag or two full of Hornady TAP for any bumps in the night... I've used TAP in my Sig 226 for over a year now, and am very happy with it. I'll definitely be buying some of the recommended spare parts, such as bcg and extractor, it'll just be a little while until funds recover. That damn money thing keeps ruining all of my fun....

lockednloaded
10-13-2009, 12:45 PM
In my owners manual, it clearly states not to shoot Wolf or other foreign branded 5.56 or any reloads. Says it voids your warranty.

Mikey's Rubi
10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
In my owners manual, it clearly states not to shoot Wolf or other foreign branded 5.56 or any reloads. Says it voids your warranty.

Goofy but true.

lockednloaded
10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
I want the weather to clear up and not be so cold and pissy outside. This rifle is just sitting here, not being shot. She looks so sad....

Jaws
10-14-2009, 06:30 AM
Not my opinion, its a fact. I could care less...wolf hasn't failed me ever so when I found this out I was a little suprised.

Wow, that surprises me. Have to go look at the warranty now but when I read the manual I do not recall reading anything about Wolf.

lockednloaded
10-14-2009, 06:40 AM
Mine doesn't say wolf specifically, just foriegn sub par ammunition. I haven't heard of many problems with wolf going through DPMS. Most people shoot it and have no problems. I'd stay away from Brown Bear. It's laquer coated and prone to FTE.

Jaws
10-14-2009, 06:46 AM
Mine doesn't say wolf specifically, just foriegn sub par ammunition. I haven't heard of many problems with wolf going through DPMS. Most people shoot it and have no problems. I'd stay away from Brown Bear. It's laquer coated and prone to FTE.

Right, Wolf used to be. That's why I think a lot of people still believe it messes up your rifle. Never even heard abot the warranty thing, that's pretty wild.

Foreign subpar ammo...hmm so you have to guess what they think is subpar?

lockednloaded
10-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Ive read on AR15.com that any ammo that is lacquer coated is considered sub par. I know Brown Bear is, so I'm staying away from that. I probably won't be shooting any Yugoslavian .223 Comrade either...

Jaws
10-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Ive read on AR15.com that any ammo that is lacquer coated is considered sub par. I know Brown Bear is, so I'm staying away from that. I probably won't be shooting any Yugoslavian .223 Comrade either...

Yeah, that doesn't sound good :D. Never heard of it though. I did use Prvi which was excellent.

lockednloaded
10-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Update: I got to shoot her for the first time today. Did the break in period, as per the manual, then went to town. 90 rounds, 89 of them fired. Only no go was a bad primer on some wolf ammo. Got to sight her in, it only took a few clicks of the rear sight. It was awesome! I had a blast. The rifle performed flawlessly. Recoil is great, and it handles like a dream. I'll do some more shooting later this week.