How do you lock your pistol/weapon in your Jeep? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: How do you lock your pistol/weapon in your Jeep?

redwood66
10-11-2009, 05:41 PM
I carry and am concerned about keeping my weapon in my Jeep. My work does not allow weapons on the grounds so I would have to park on the street. Now it is North Idaho and not Detroit but still would like to keep it safe as possible.

How does the membership on here lock their pistols etc. in their Jeep?

I am looking at the Tuffy console but sheesh they are expensive. I am worried that the Tuffy glovebox doesn't have enough room since I may have two pistols at any time.

venom
10-11-2009, 07:27 PM
tuffy replacement console here

$500 for the console vs $500-$1000 for my piece plus what could happen if its stolen, not a bad value to me

Mr.RonGilbert
10-11-2009, 07:33 PM
X2 on the Tuffy... I also tuck my Sirius receiver and the radio face plate along with anything else of value. Everything else stays unlocked and I sometimes leave the glove box open and windows down when parked at the grocery store/mall etc.....

It is a habit now... just takes about 30 seconds to get everything in/out.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/TheGman_/DIY/P3290186.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/TheGman_/DIY/P3290193.jpg

Another bonus is that the arm rest is taller and more comfy than the stock one.

:beer:

redwood66
10-11-2009, 09:27 PM
tuffy replacement console here

$500 for the console vs $500-$1000 for my piece plus what could happen if its stolen, not a bad value to me

You are absolutely right and I am not carrying now to work because I really don't want to leave it in the Jeep. Thanks Ron for the pics because the ones on the web are so small I really can't see the size. I have an X with the mini console so there is no box at all. Do you trust the box if you have top off or no doors and can't carry your weapon with you? Are they well built?

SgtMikey
10-12-2009, 02:10 AM
I have the Tuffy as well, yes I trust it and I believe it's worth every penny!

Mikey

Jared89
10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
X2 on the Tuffy... I also tuck my Sirius receiver and the radio face plate along with anything else of value. Everything else stays unlocked and I sometimes leave the glove box open and windows down when parked at the grocery store/mall etc.....

It is a habit now... just takes about 30 seconds to get everything in/out.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/TheGman_/DIY/P3290186.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/TheGman_/DIY/P3290193.jpg

Another bonus is that the arm rest is taller and more comfy than the stock one.

:beer:
Off topic but what kind of 1911 is that?is it your duty weapon(i see your badge)?

Renzo Fighter
10-16-2009, 04:39 PM
did you have to change the whole console?

guinness
10-16-2009, 04:46 PM
I have the small tuffy insert and am very happy w/ it. I trust it enough to leave a gun in it; however, I dont leave it unattended for long.

venom
10-16-2009, 04:49 PM
I went with the whole replacement console from PhilD at trailduty

my concern with the inserts is that the rest of the console is plastic, I know if I were a thief, I'd see that and think someone had something of value and bust the plastic to tear out the whole insert

the full replacement is all steel and bolts to the floor

sniper41
10-16-2009, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=Mr.RonGilbert;234373]X2 on the Tuffy... I also tuck my Sirius receiver and the radio face plate along with anything else of value. Everything else stays unlocked and I sometimes leave the glove box open and windows down when parked at the grocery store/mall etc.....

Woah, wait, did you say MALL?

just kidding, I couldn't let that go by Ron and yes I go there too from time to infrequent time!!

However Redwood, our policy is that if we can't "lock" our weapon up in our personal vehicle we "cuff it" to a location that would not be seen, like under the seat, to a solid anchor. I don't know if you can get cuffs, or possible have em- I wont go any further with that haha- but it's a cheeper and "secure" alternative and easy to lock 2 weapons with! If that helps?

Oh and sorry again Ron, I had to do it!!

guinness
10-16-2009, 04:54 PM

my concern with the inserts is that the rest of the console is plastic, I know if I were a thief, I'd see that and think someone had something of value and bust the plastic to tear out the whole insert

the full replacement is all steel and bolts to the floor

The insert bolts to the floor as well. I didnt do it. The full console wasnt avail when I bought the insert. That is why I wont leave it alone for long.

redwood66
10-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone and it looks like my B-day present next year is a Tuffy console! Are they a pita to install?

venom
10-16-2009, 08:39 PM
theres an install write up on here somewhere
its not that hard, tkbo1060 did a write up on the hardest part -removing the stock console
doing it the way tuffy says = PITA and an hour or more
his way is 5 minutes
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11960

Mr.RonGilbert
10-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Sorry for the late response, been busy for the past few days.

Do you trust the box if you have top off or no doors and can't carry your weapon with you? Are they well built?

I trust it but the weapon usually goes with me. I do leave it from time to time and don't worry at all. I also have an alarm with the proximity function so if you get close to the console it will warn away and then alarm.. and it pages me. I have been looking forward to catching some terd trying to steal my stuff... no luck yet. I will get some pics if I do.

Off topic but what kind of 1911 is that?is it your duty weapon(i see your badge)?

Colt 1911 Defender model it is a back-up (small frame).

did you have to change the whole console?
Yessir... chunk the stock POS and don't look back.

Same here - Phil takes good care of his customers.

Woah, wait, did you say MALL?

just kidding, I couldn't let that go by Ron and yes I go there too from time to infrequent time!!

As painful as it is.. yes I do have to go to that godforsaken place once in a while - our little corner of the world - where the "mall" is located is in the top 10 in the nation for stolen cars so I don't go unless there is no other option.

doing it the way tuffy says = PITA and an hour or more [/url]

I agree... it was a pain in the azz!!! just give yourself some time. I did mine the night before a wheeling run and it was a bad idea... dont get in a rush.

whew... thank goodness I can use backspace again!

redwood66
10-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Thank you for taking so much time to answer Ron. The biggest reason I would need it is I cannot take my weapon into my work. Gov't building and no weapons allowed on property. I would have to park the Jeep on the street.

Mr.RonGilbert
10-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Thank you for taking so much time to answer Ron. The biggest reason I would need it is I cannot take my weapon into my work. Gov't building and no weapons allowed on property. I would have to park the Jeep on the street.

Not only does the console protect your stuff it also has a nice arm rest - much nicer than the stock one and it is higher too, I had to lean down to rest my arm and it sucked now it is just right. You can put a radio, CB or just have more space in there if you don't want a radio or CB. Lots of room and there is a power plug in too.

usmcdoc14
10-17-2009, 10:53 AM
pull that pannel under the steering wheel in front of your knees. It should give you ideas, I know it did for me :D