Which Skids? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Which Skids?

cab76
04-07-2008, 02:38 AM
I would like some more protection for the gas tank and oil pan while keeping the weight gain down as much as possible. After doing some research I'm leaning towards the Rock Hard oil pan/engine/cat and gas tank skids. However both the Poly and Treks more comprehensive belly type skids are tempting (although heavier and more expensive). Any thoughts/opinions/experience? Thanks in advance!

rock342
04-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I have the Rock Hard engine skid - i like it a lot. it's a little wider than the other to protect the cat converters too. Though it sure is heavy - no getting away from that!

Eracer76
04-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Im happy with my Skid Row engine skid, Ive put it to use many times, Ive even had the weight of the Jeep on it, rocking on a rock and nothing has phased it :)

nam6869usmc
04-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Im happy with my Skid Row engine skid, Ive put it to use many times, Ive even had the weight of the Jeep on it, rocking on a rock and nothing has phased it :)

X2 on the Skidrow duability,..bullet proof

YmansJK
04-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Go with the Rockhard and you won't regret it. I hope. They make the engine skid, transfercase, fuel tank. I'm getting the fuel tank once money starts flowing again. Got a huge dent which made me lose 1 gallon of fuel capacity. :pissed:

Dustoff '68
05-27-2008, 04:38 AM
X2 on the Skidrow duability,..bullet proof

X4....................

seer
05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
I don't think you're gonna go wrong no matter what you choose. Rockhard, Poly, Treks or Skidrow are all quality makers of stuff and stand by their products. The Rancho glue on skid looks a little weird to me, but... that's probably the lightest skid out there. Early on Skidrow was having some clearance issues, but from the sound of the shameless pimps posting above this:thefinger: it sounds like that's all been worked out.:D I have the Rockhard setup and it has served me well. Just keep in mind if you run a skid system underneath remember how it all comes apart because you'll need to remove them come major maintenance (transmission and such) time.

cab76
05-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all the input! FYI - I ended up going with Rock Hard engine and gas tank skids and I kept the factory trans case skid for now. The Rock Hards seemed well built/designed and I liked that their engine skid included a skid for the cat. The gas tank skid may not be beefy enough for the most hard core rock crawlers out there, but it should work well enough for my purposes. I like the Kilby, Poly, and Treks skids, but I couldn't justify the extra cost and weight for the moderate wheeling that I do.

The only thing I noticed when installing the Rock Hard engine skid is that the engine mounts (the front engine skid mounts) don't seem that strong. Anyone see any damage to these after some trail abuse to their engine skids??