hard top or soft this time of year???? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: hard top or soft this time of year????

BeerMonkeY
09-17-2007, 07:16 PM
well here in northeast PA its getting cold at nite now (38 last nite but normally in the 50's) so whos running the soft top still? im headung out wheeling at the end of oct and want to run topless but im thinking it will be better to just pull the hard top then fight with a cold soft top .

jacky1982
09-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks!That's Great!

Living Still
09-17-2007, 08:49 PM
I'd say throw the hard top on. If you feel the need to go topless just pull the front two panels. You may not get the full experience, but it's a hell of a lot better compromise in my opinion. Maybe just go fully topless :D? That would be pretty hardcore in mid 30 degree temps. You really can't lose either way as long as your havin fun!

-Casey

BeerMonkeY
09-18-2007, 07:11 AM
yeah topless is best in any situation

nam6869usmc
09-18-2007, 09:41 AM
yeah topless is best in any situation

Ya, been real cold here in Central Pa also......you'll get plenty of "AIR" with the 2 panels off.(trust me). You right about winter & the soft top, I had to use pliers on my CJ7 to get the snaps aligned .
Our club will be up Rausch 23rd of this month.......I see there's going to be a North Eastern JK get together at Rausch in Oct13ish,,,,,,might drive up there just to see all these Bad A$$ JK's...

MichaelW
09-18-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm still running my soft top. It hasn't been too cold here yet, maybe mid 30's while camping. I plan on running my soft top 365/24/7. I'll sweep the snow off the top and warm the cab before driving to avoid cracking the plastic windows. I have to pre-warm anyway wit the super charger. ;)

The biggest thing I think will be the cracking windows or having them be too stiff to put back on so I just have to remember to have them installed before it freezes.

I installed my soft top for the first time when it was about 40* outside, mid-day. ;)

AZToad
10-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Starting to really wonder if I'm ever going to get much use out of the hardtop!

I barely get any use out of the soft one!!!

Only reason to have it on down here is during towing - and the 5 -10 minutes of rain!

Topless topless topless!

OnlyInMyJeep
10-01-2007, 03:19 PM
I only have the hard top so the question is easy to answer for me. I use a Safari top from Bestop to keep the sun off me unless it is chilly or rainy then the hard top goes on. What is bad is days like today where the wife and girls are chilly in the mornings (so we keep the top on) yet it is nice in the afternoon. I think I might get me a full soft top as soon as someone makes the hardware because I am not paying the dealer price and don't trust one from E-Bay.

DiscoBayJoe
10-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Altho I was tempted to go soft when I had the hardtop off getting the soft top out last weekend, I decided to put the hardtop on for the winter. Mostly because I don't have a safe spot for the hardtop! It was sure nice driving around with the top off tho!

dougnpj
10-31-2007, 08:41 AM
I dont have to put much time into that question. I was out playing in the sand this weekend and the high was in the low 90s. So we here in the other lone star state can go topless all year long.:devil:

PhilD
10-31-2007, 05:24 PM
It's only 75F day & 60F night here and I put the hard top on. Mainly because if I didn't Winter will be over before I know it, and I'll be staring at the hard top wondering why I bought it...

Mieser
10-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Soft top. Its a jeep! and its generally a hundred or more pounds lighter than a hard top. Weight is weight...and its up above the CoG also.

jeepster
11-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I only have the soft top. Thats what I bought it for.

Sammer
11-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Softop. It works just fine in the winter.

WTF_LOL
11-02-2007, 10:36 AM
It has been getting cold here this last couple of weeks. Below freezing last night.

I am warmer in my JK with a soft top then I am in my XJ! :laughing:

Gib
11-02-2007, 10:39 AM
The new soft top material ever since they went with the Sailcloth on the TJ's is suck an improvement over the old stuff that it insulates almost as well as a hard top.

Emoto
11-19-2007, 03:44 AM
What's this business about windows cracking?

RedRockJK
11-19-2007, 04:01 AM
Soft top. Well it's the only top I have now. I ordered it with dual tops, but I took the hard top off when it had about 500 miles on it. After driving it for a while I decided the hard top was just going to sit and collect dust so I sold it.

dsy
11-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Soft top. Its a jeep! and its generally a hundred or more pounds lighter than a hard top. Weight is weight...and its up above the CoG also.

I think the hard top only weighs about 95lbs. Soft is probably 1/2 that.
I bought both tops but have only had the soft on about a week. The panels make the hard top too convenient. With my hoist in the garage I can have the hard top off or on by myself faster than raising or lowering the soft. Plus I like the perceived security of the hard top as I tend to run around with too many toys on board.

PhilD
11-20-2007, 08:17 AM
I decided the hard top was just going to sit and collect dust so I sold it.I felt like doing the same thing, but decided to put the hard top on for "Winter", although it is 82F right now. Wheelin' pretty much comes to a stand still here until January for hunting season also, so it's a good time to have the hard top for a couple of months.

Mine spent most of the year with a bikini top on and I started wondering about the usefulness of the soft top too.

wanderingtrail
11-20-2007, 09:01 AM
I was reading this thread and thinking. Top on???? It's 74 today..:thefinger::D

Ron

dougnpj
11-20-2007, 09:50 AM
I was reading this thread and thinking. Top on???? It's 74 today..:thefinger::D

Ron

I am with you its going to be in the upper 80s today. And it only rains like 1 per year here. Who needs a top?:beer::smokin: