Checking Automatic Transmission Fluid [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Checking Automatic Transmission Fluid

skibum
03-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Anybody else notice that the owners manual tells you to check the ATF with the transmission in park, but the instructions printed on the dipstick tell you to check the fluid with the tranny in neutral? Which is it? There is a significant difference in fluid levels between the two positions. What do you guys do?

skibum
04-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Nobody? C'mon somebody else here must have an automatic. :confused:

syrfire7
04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
I do, but i haven't checked the fluid yet. My first instinct would be to say warm engine w/ trans in neutral, (just like every other vehicle i've ever owned). The park thing may be the result of a perceived liabillity (for those darwin award winners who don't chock the wheels). I'll check mine out tomorrow...

PhilD
04-02-2008, 06:43 AM
I don't believe it makes much difference (if any), maki9ng sure it is warmed up is more important. If you've just added fluid, make sure you cycle through all positions first.

skibum
04-02-2008, 06:49 AM
I've done all of that, and there is a very noticeable difference between Park and Neutral. Also, mine NEVER gets hot to the touch as described in the owner's manual. I've tried driving around town (stop and go traffic) for better than an hour, and last weekend I drove down to Worcester, MA (2 1/2 hours by Interstate) and the tranny doesn't get more than luke warm. I can hold the dipstick between my fingers with no discomfort whatsoever. WTF? :confused:

John L
04-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Is the pump in our A/T's engaged when the trans is in park? If it's not, that's why you're getting a different reading between park and neutral.