JP Magazine, just came out with diesel news... [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: JP Magazine, just came out with diesel news...

WillyBoard
03-28-2008, 08:21 PM
I just read in the latest JP Magazine inside the cover page, the author spent a good amount of time in a manual and an automatic Jeep JK 4 door with the diesel option at the Michigan AEV playing ground. Goes on and on about it, loved it, just wonderful, blah blah blah..,. then ends the paragraph with read more about why this will not be available in USA in an upcoming issue.:bawling:

They are kill’n me over here. Torque, water crossings, greater tow capacity, perhaps a bit better mileage, did I mention torque…

Oh and the torque on a diesel is awesome compared to the Caravan engine they dropped in there in the 2007 and 2008. A caravan motor… How embarrassing.

They must have had bigger plans… just look at all the room around this POS motor they are selling it with right now.

Hello, can anyone out there here me… Jeep? Chrysler? Hello? Your public is calling!
:bounce:

jeffmarion
03-30-2008, 08:53 AM
With gas prices the way they are right now, where diesel is $4 a gallon compared to $3.15 for gasoline here in texas, I think I can take the little POS motor we have for now, a V-8 option would be nice.

venom
03-31-2008, 02:51 PM
With gas prices the way they are right now, where diesel is $4 a gallon compared to $3.15 for gasoline here in texas, I think I can take the little POS motor we have for now, a V-8 option would be nice.

yeah but if ya got that much better mileage with diesel torque vs running high RPMs in the 3.8 to keep it moving, it still might come out cheaper to operate

jeffmarion
03-31-2008, 05:19 PM
yeah but if ya got that much better mileage with diesel torque vs running high RPMs in the 3.8 to keep it moving, it still might come out cheaper to operate

I haven't done the math, It might be in the long run, but how long? The intial purchase price will be higher probably $2K or more, then the higher price of fuel....It is not something that I would consider at this point, but who knows what the future holds?

Alec W
03-31-2008, 05:25 PM
I’m not sure I get the diesel thing! With the right gearing the JK motor has great off road power and it's not bad on the road. It’s plenty fast enough for me but I’m in my mid 40s and slowing down from my Hayabusa days ;)

One thing I do need to do is get a muffler so it doesn’t sound like Alan’s sewing machine :laughing:

CO Hummer
03-31-2008, 09:08 PM
One thing I do need to do is get a muffler so it doesn’t sound like Alan’s sewing machine :laughing:

:D

Yah....Don't forget about the horn too. My horn would even embarass my sewing machine.

jdemonto
03-31-2008, 09:38 PM
A diesel JK will come in the future..Just not today

Jason

syrfire7
04-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Daimler still owns almost 20% of Chrysler LLC; anyone in the business want to comment on the odds of getting a 50-state-legal BLUETEC diesel in these vehicles?

jdemonto
04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Daimler still owns almost 20% of Chrysler LLC; anyone in the business want to comment on the odds of getting a 50-state-legal BLUETEC diesel in these vehicles?

You will not see anymore mercedes stuff of jeeps or chryslers...Likely to be phased out over time due to expense. Likely a cummins diesel in the future...

Jason