To Mod or Not to Mod....That is the Question [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: To Mod or Not to Mod....That is the Question

skibum
03-23-2008, 09:08 AM
As some of you may be aware, I'm having all kinds of transmission / torque converter problems with my Jeep. Independent transmission shops as well as my regular mechanic all agree that this thing is hosed but Chrysler refuses to acknowledge the problem. With that as the background, I need opinions on wether or not I should start bolting on all the goodies (sorry C-rog) I have been stacking up out in the barn. So far, I have Rubi wheels and tires, CB with cooltech antenna, Hella 500 driving lights and a Smittybilt SRC front bumper, that are not installed. What do you guys think?

Alec W
03-23-2008, 09:13 AM
I'd wait untill you get it fixed incase they use the mods as an excuse not to cover it.

gcg
03-23-2008, 09:19 AM
I'd wait untill you get it fixed incase they use the mods as an excuse not to cover it.
X2.

skibum
03-23-2008, 09:50 AM
A brother needs a little help, and you guys go and side with my wife. :shaking:

Bigjerm
03-23-2008, 11:49 AM
you can do the lights and CB but i would wait on the bumper for sure. The tires... not sure because how can Jeep claim that their STOCK wheels and tires that are standard on the Rubicon, optional on other models can cause a problem?

skibum
03-23-2008, 01:27 PM
you can do the lights and CB but i would wait on the bumper for sure. The tires... not sure because how can Jeep claim that their STOCK wheels and tires that are standard on the Rubicon, optional on other models can cause a problem?

So here's the problem. While the wheels are available as an option on my Jeep, the tires are not. You can get some Bridgestone ATs in the same size as optional equipment, but the BFG MTs are only available on the Rubicon.

Bigjerm
03-23-2008, 03:27 PM
well as long as it is the same size tire they offer and its not an extreme mud tread design I dont see how they could argue anything

gcg
03-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm not aware of the problems that you've been having with your torque converter and transmission. What I have heard many times, though, is that dealerships vary significantly in how they handle warranty repairs, particularly with vehicles that are modified. If you aren't having any luck with one dealership, you might try a different one - perhaps making some inquiries locally to see if there's an offroad friendly dealership nearby.

The other thing you might try, if you haven't already, is getting copies of both of the TSB's relating to the torque converter and taking them to the dealership with you. That might help if they claim it isn't a problem and you can show them their own documentation stating that it is and what the recommended fix for it is.

Ipe
03-24-2008, 05:30 AM
Here in the Northeast I've found that dealerships are not very well prepared to deal with vehicles that have been modified from stock. I haven't modified my Rubi... yet. But when I do, I fully expect to get hosed at the stealership. :shaking:

Because of that I'd recommend patience and get the transmission issue fixed first, despite it being a total PITA.

skibum
03-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Because of that I'd recommend patience and get the transmission issue fixed first, despite it being a total PITA.

Patience is not my strong suite.............just ask my wife. :D I do have an appointment with a new dealer for a week from tomorrow. I will TRY to restrain myself until then. :rolleyes:

skibum
04-01-2008, 03:19 PM
OK..........dealer drove the Jeep today and I think they might actually agree that there is some sort of problem. They said that they, "had to do a little research and would get back to me". I hate waiting. :pissed: I'm gonna bolt this stuff on. No I'm not. Yes I am. No I'm not. Crap. :bawling:

Ipe
04-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Cool! At last, a move in the right direction! :beer:

Big Chris
04-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I would bolt it on, as they have seen it with everything off... how can they say it caused the problem:thefinger:

Big Chris
04-01-2008, 06:19 PM
By the way nice to meet you today..

skibum
04-02-2008, 06:52 AM
I would bolt it on, as they have seen it with everything off... how can they say it caused the problem:thefinger:

Good point. But with the luck I've had getting dealer's to do ANYTHING, I think I'm going to wait. Good to meet you too! That is one nice rig you have, and completely covered in mud is just an added bonus. :D

skibum
04-03-2008, 01:21 PM
The dealer called to tell me that my parts are in and to schedule an appointment. Jeep goes in first thing Monday morning and they told me to expect that they would have it for a while. YEAH!!!! HOT DAMN!!! GOODIE!!!! (sorry C-rog) :csmile::D:D:D If it's really fixed, I'll have all my goodies (sorry again) on by the following weekend.

Alec W
04-03-2008, 02:16 PM
The dealer called to tell me that my parts are in and to schedule an appointment. Jeep goes in first thing Monday morning and they told me to expect that they would have it for a while. YEAH!!!! HOT DAMN!!! GOODIE!!!! (sorry C-rog) :csmile::D:D:D If it's really fixed, I'll have all my goodies (sorry again) on by the following weekend.

Contrats. When you get it back we need a fully detailed goodie installation report of all your new goodies.

skibum
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Contrats. When you get it back we need a fully detailed goodie installation report of all your new goodies.

Goodie, I'll look forward to it. :D

Big Chris
04-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Hopefully the will get the problem fixed... and you can get your mods installed...:bounce:

skibum
04-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Trust me..........if this works, the mods will be installed within 3 hours of arriving home. :D

skibum
04-08-2008, 02:45 PM
OK boys and girls, just picked up the Jeep with the new TC installed. I've only driven it about forty miles but the difference is like night and day. I'll drive it the rest of the week and if it continues to function as it should, my pile of goodies will be on by the end of the weekend. :D:D:D

Steve-UK
04-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Glad to hear you have got it sorted :D

Now you can start to play:bounce:

NE Wrangling
04-08-2008, 05:26 PM
3 horus to end of week, LOL just kidding I would love to see some pics of all the mods now that it's finally coming around.

skibum
04-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Glad to hear you have got it sorted :D

Now you can start to play:bounce:

Thanks Steve! Now hopefully it will stay fixed for awhile. :D

skibum
04-09-2008, 07:01 AM
3 horus to end of week, LOL just kidding I would love to see some pics of all the mods now that it's finally coming around.

So I exagerated a bit before. :thefinger: You, of all people, should know what it's going to look like even before I post any pics, since most of the parts came off of your Jeep. :D

gcg
04-09-2008, 09:14 AM
So what all did they do at the dealer to fix the problem?

C-rog
04-09-2008, 09:48 AM
OK boys and girls, just picked up the Jeep with the new TC installed. I've only driven it about forty miles but the difference is like night and day. I'll drive it the rest of the week and if it continues to function as it should, my pile of goodies will be on by the end of the weekend. :D:D:D

did you ever call the guy I gave you. I'm just curious if he can really help or was just being nice.

skibum
04-09-2008, 04:50 PM
So what all did they do at the dealer to fix the problem?

Basically, they just did the second half of the TSB (since the flash alone didn't work), they replaced the torque convertor. So far, so good. :)

skibum
04-09-2008, 04:52 PM
did you ever call the guy I gave you. I'm just curious if he can really help or was just being nice.

Didn't have to since I finally found a dealer that 1) seems to want my business and, 2) cares about their reputation in the community. I will be keeping that number however. You never know when something like that just might come in handy. :D Thanks again C-rog.

Big Chris
04-09-2008, 05:07 PM
now you can go out and play... I am now turning my three inch lift into a four inch, just bought my four inch springs and shocks.. maybe I will be able to keep up with you when we go four wheeling:grinpimp:

skibum
04-09-2008, 05:30 PM
now you can go out and play... I am now turning my three inch lift into a four inch, just bought my four inch springs and shocks.. maybe I will be able to keep up with you when we go four wheeling:grinpimp:

After seeing your Jeep, my brother asked me how long it would be before mine "grew up". :shaking: