Expedition One Rubi Skid with different companies Bumper? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Expedition One Rubi Skid with different companies Bumper?

07MDRubi
03-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Ok so I have been looking at some front bumpers and think i have decided on the Shrockworks mid-width or the LOD signature series stubby. But one thing I dont care for on either of them is the skid plate to protect the sway bar disconnect.

One way that I see around this is to use the Expedition One Rubi Skid that rotates the disconnect up and I believe requires that you cut the crossmember. Has anyone gone this route? And with which bumpers did it work? I dont really care for the looks of the basic bumper from Expedition One but like the idea their skid.

I really like the idea of having everything tucked up and out of the way, and ever since crawing under the jeep for the first time I wondered why the electronic sway bar disconnect was not rotated up from the factory. from my understanding on how it works, the disconnect should work in any orientation, or am I missing something?

Im just trying to find a way to protect everything without having a bumper that looks 12 inches tall, but am a bit worried about mixing companies.

gcg
03-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Ok so I have been looking at some front bumpers and think i have decided on the Shrockworks mid-width or the LOD signature series stubby. But one thing I dont care for on either of them is the skid plate to protect the sway bar disconnect.

One way that I see around this is to use the Expedition One Rubi Skid that rotates the disconnect up and I believe requires that you cut the crossmember. Has anyone gone this route? And with which bumpers did it work? I dont really care for the looks of the basic bumper from Expedition One but like the idea their skid.

I really like the idea of having everything tucked up and out of the way, and ever since crawing under the jeep for the first time I wondered why the electronic sway bar disconnect was not rotated up from the factory. from my understanding on how it works, the disconnect should work in any orientation, or am I missing something?

Im just trying to find a way to protect everything without having a bumper that looks 12 inches tall, but am a bit worried about mixing companies.
Just my two cents here. I have the Shrockworks stubby with their skid plate and am quite happy with the setup. My swaybar disconnect quit working a while back and I took it to the dealership to see what they could do. They informed me that a new disconnect was a $1500 part (it's not repairable, you replace the whole unit along with the swaybar itself). They had to work pretty hard to get Chrysler to cover it under warranty due to the lift, etc., but eventually got it covered.

My point is that if you rotate the unit up, it might make it more difficult to get it covered should it fail. Since it is a very expensive part, you might want to consider that before rotating it as it would probably make it easier for them to deny a warranty claim. I like that setup, too, but it could end up being expensive. I have heard that others have had problems with the disconnect.

Ruskin
03-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Another question, isn't the sway bar suppose to be level to the ground inorder to provide proper geometry? I forget how to explain this technically, but it has to do with the anlgle the sway bar link is pulling on the sway bar. How big of an impact does this have, and will the distance you plan to move the sway bar really matter, I don't know.

C-rog
03-23-2008, 10:01 AM
I have a LOD rear bumper and have put in two calls since I purchased it because a plate broke off where it attaches to the frame, and no return calls.
I'm not asking for anything free I just want a new peice.