Where do you spend your money? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Where do you spend your money?

C-rog
03-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Someone asked me what balance I use for spending money on my jeep between performance, safety, armor, and looks. Looks would be custom paint (I haven't but someone may have) or went with blings stuff. I did swap out my grill for the crome looking one, and billet aluminum door buttons from Offroad Evolution.

I want it to look good being a daily driver, but since it's a daily driver I can't get stuck with breakage off roading, I guess I side more on protection and armor.

P.S. I know I'm leaving myself wide open for you guys to use the word goodies so.... go ahead, have at it, I can take it!:bawling:

Anyway are you guys rotating evenly or did you start with performance, armor safety what did you do?

seer
03-22-2008, 09:04 AM
I cut my budget into thirds:jester:. I spend half of it on performance and half on armor. I swore I'd not spend a cent on just looks. Looks to me includes wheels, fastback tops etc... If I were in mud country, then wheels would fall into a different category. Most of the "treasures:laughing2: (I avoided the "g" word just for you) I've put on mine you can't really see as they are there to get me home again and then to work the next day. If I f*&k it up, I'm walking to work.

nam6869usmc
03-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Someone asked me what balance I use for spending money on my jeep between Performance, safety, armor, and looks.

I said, mine is a pretty even balance because I want it to look good being a daily driver, but since it's a daily driver I can't get stuck with breakage off roading, I don't know I guess it's pretty even.

P.S. I know I'm leaving myself wide open for you guys to use the word goodies so.... go ahead, have at it, I can take it!:bawling:

Anyway are you guys rotating evenly or did you start with performance, armor safety what did you do?

Good statement above.......
Your not leaving yourself open, everyone has a different approach on money best spent for (Goodie's) (Mod's) (Upgrades).
My balance due to it's my daily driver is one big reason I stepped back to Procomp A/T's and have my BFG MT's for sale. I can air them down to 12lbs & have a great day out wheeling but on road snow & ice is much much better. Armor was my 1st thing I upgraded because I was a Donor JK for "Skidrow Offroad" & after the 1st day at Rausch Creek, I was glad for the armor.
I think I used the balance theory also.
PS. Since I'm so old, my next Mod might be a "Auto Lift" to get me in my JK.:thefinger::thefinger:

gcg
03-22-2008, 09:20 AM
I cut my budget into thirds:jester:. I spend half of it on performance and half on armor. I swore I'd not spend a cent on just looks. Looks to me includes wheels, fastback tops etc... If I were in mud country, then wheels would fall into a different category. Most of the "treasures:laughing2: (I avoided the "g" word just for you) I've put on mine you can't really see as they are there to get me home again and then to work the next day. If I f*&k it up, I'm walking to work.
There are three kinds of people in the world: those that understand math and those that don't.

gcg
03-22-2008, 09:23 AM
I've spent mostly on performance with armor being second. I think it should probably be the other way around but that's not what I did. I haven't spent anything on pure appearance.

C-rog
03-22-2008, 10:06 AM
There are three kinds of people in the world: those that understand math and those that don't.

I saw that too. :laughing:

C-rog
03-22-2008, 10:12 AM
I've spent mostly on performance with armor being second. I think it should probably be the other way around but that's not what I did. I haven't spent anything on pure appearance.

I guess there isn't any that's pure apperance or nothing comes to mind.... but I was thinking looks by myself getting the AEV hood but I guess that serves a purpose, same with the neoprene seat covers. I guess they are dual purpose.

Ok, so performance, armor, and safety.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be putting mastercraft seats in a JK just yet, well I guess there really isn't anything to attach the seat harness to. but I did get the Rock hard a to b pillar bolt on. Not to save the Jeep but myself. I haven't really heard anyone else mention safety yet?

seer
03-22-2008, 11:09 AM

And are totally okay with that:rasta:

skibum
03-22-2008, 03:30 PM
OK, so far I have a CB and antenna, mudflaps, door sill protectors, slush mats, Rubi wheels and tires, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Hella driving lights, a hitch with a D-shackle, I've drilled my mirrors and removed most of the stickers. I'm not sure what all of that means in relation to the "performance, safety, armor and looks" thing. I can tell you that the wife has run out of sense of humor so there will be no more mods for a while that aren't either free or cheap. So I'm thinking that the front bumper looks empty without a winch. What do you guys think of using some spare lumber to build a box in the shape of a Warn Powerplant and then getting a nice cover for it? Who would ever know? :thefinger:

nam6869usmc
03-22-2008, 06:15 PM
OK, so far I have a CB and antenna, mudflaps, door sill protectors, slush mats, Rubi wheels and tires, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Hella driving lights, a hitch with a D-shackle, I've drilled my mirrors and removed most of the stickers. I'm not sure what all of that means in relation to the "performance, safety, armor and looks" thing. I can tell you that the wife has run out of sense of humor so there will be no more mods for a while that aren't either free or cheap. So I'm thinking that the front bumper looks empty without a winch. What do you guys think of using some spare lumber to build a box in the shape of a Warn Powerplant and then getting a nice cover for it? Who would ever know? :thefinger:

Go for it, the cover is way way cheaper & I would never know. By the way, my wife ran out her sense of humor when I bought the JK, so I had a hard road ahead. I just become a complete:innocent: to get what I wanted, like selling your soul to the :devil:

skibum
03-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Go for it, the cover is way way cheaper & I would never know. By the way, my wife ran out her sense of humor when I bought the JK, so I had a hard road ahead. I just become a complete:innocent: to get what I wanted, like selling your soul to the :devil:

I like tankers..............they're such sensible people. :D BTW, I tried the complete :innocent: thing. She saw right through it. Twenty five years of marriage and I get away with very little anymore. :bawling:

B'ham Jeeper
03-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Gas! :bawling:

bad day
03-23-2008, 09:51 AM
So far it's almost all performance K&N flat panel filter, modified air box, Evap can relocation(safety?), custom exhaust(magnaflow muffler),serius satelite radio(fm and the Colorado Rockies don't mix) And the src front bumper. LISTEN....if you are running a stock front bumper I don't see how anyone can thinf of it as protection.Seriously heineken minikeg cans are heaveir duty than that thing was

bad day
03-23-2008, 10:02 AM
I did forget to mention the security system. Either A glock 30 or a Kimber Gold Combat RLII. It all depends on how dirty im going to get

Bigjerm
03-23-2008, 12:54 PM
If I would have bought everything on my Jeep I would say I am 40% performance, 40% protection, 20% other. I bought the Jeep with the 2.5" spacers and 35" tires with new rims. Then i was the test Jeep for Rugged Ridge and got Side armor and front bumper (would have bought them anyways because they are awesome). The rest is a winch, CB, and little goodies like floor matts, handles, ect..

Jacks Or Better
03-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Hmm.. Performance, Safety, Armor, and Looks...

I catagorize armor and safety in the performance catagory. If I can't run rocks without busting things under my Jeep, then it quite simply can't perform what I ask of it. Likewise if my Jeep isn't equiped with safety and recoverey gear to help out fellow Jeepers, it can't perform what I ask of it.

performance or Looks? Easy.

Performance first, because a capable Jeep looks great making it's way through tough obstacles. A pretty Jeep loses all of its attractiveness when it's hung up somewhere begging to be rescued.

skibum
03-25-2008, 08:33 AM
A pretty Jeep loses all of its attractiveness when it's hung up somewhere begging to be rescued.

Good point.

Alec W
03-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Function is always better than form, however it’s possible to achieve both at the same time. For example, some bumpers are just as functional as others but simply look better.

nam6869usmc
03-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Function is always better than form, however it’s possible to achieve both at the same time. For example, some bumpers are just as functional as others but simply look better.

You have the best Avatar,....actually a Decal just like that would be great on the back window.

NE Wrangling
03-25-2008, 11:05 AM
You have the best Avatar,....actually a Decal just like that would be great on the back window.

Yes can you send that over, I'm thinking that needs to go on the back of the jeep and get stuck on window for her to find one day. Would be funny joke to see her expression.

Well I'm not getting any heat yet until she see's all the stuff I've been ordering. I'd say I'm 45% protection, 35% performance and the rest is jumbled.

I have 33" tires, new steel rims, Front stubby bumper, Cheapo winch, 4.10 gears, Rock sliders on order, Extra PIAA 520 driving lights on order, Seat covers on order(Kids ruin everything), Cobra 75handheld (that get's way to much feedback), recovery gear, Air pump, Superlift Steering Stabilizer, etc...

Skids are next on the radar if I can sneak a few in under the wire soon. I'm on good credit right now since I'm rebuilding the master bath for her mistake.

C-rog
03-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Yes can you send that over, I'm thinking that needs to go on the back of the jeep and get stuck on window for her to find one day. Would be funny joke to see her expression.

Well I'm not getting any heat yet until she see's all the stuff I've been ordering. I'd say I'm 45% protection, 35% performance and the rest is jumbled.

I have 33" tires, new steel rims, Front stubby bumper, Cheapo winch, 4.10 gears, Rock sliders on order, Extra PIAA 520 driving lights on order, Seat covers on order(Kids ruin everything), Cobra 75handheld (that get's way to much feedback), recovery gear, Air pump, Superlift Steering Stabilizer, etc...

Skids are next on the radar if I can sneak a few in under the wire soon. I'm on good credit right now since I'm rebuilding the master bath for her mistake.

The best is when the UPS guy shows up when the wife's not home:bounce: it's almost like free stuff! :laughing::bounce: :laughing:On the other hand when he show's up and she's home, you're kinda standin there going aaaahhhhh are you sure you have the right house.... He say's, "well this is a jeep part.... same reason I'm always here!" I just want to smack him sometimes!:shaking: How many time do ya have to tell someone, "If the van's in the driveway, put it on the side of the garage... and cover it with leaves!":D"

But in my defense my wife has lots of clothes hanging in her closet with tags on them and there are always bags of who knows what in her van.

Alec W
03-25-2008, 01:33 PM
I keep telling Phil he needs to ship my Jeep stuff with “Decorating Supplies” written on the box. Also, he needs to make the credit charges show up as “Home Decorating Products Inc.”.

Alec W
03-25-2008, 01:37 PM
But in my defense my wife has lots of clothes hanging in her closet with tags on them and there are always bags of who knows what in her van.

Only one closet? You’re lucky, my wife has at least 3 closets full of clothes she’s probably never worn or worn once. Don’t even start me on the 50 or so pairs of shoes she needs. I probably own maybe 8 pairs of shoes and all my clothes are limited to a tiny section of the closet in the master bedroom :shaking:.

But… I make up for it with Jeep parts so I must stop venting :smokin:

mizedog
03-28-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm usually FUNCTION OVER FORM!!
But, the hot rodder in me has wanted one of these for years. It was my first mod after drilling the mirrors and hiding the garage opener. I guess it is functional, but not really more than the stock one.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Mizedog/P1010035.jpg