Air Filter [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Air Filter

jeepster
03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Just wondering what would be my best bet when I change my air filter, K&N ect. I was thinking of doing this anyway but since I found out that is next to impossible to just change the original with a Fram or whatever I guess my mind is made up. I was at my local Napa this morning and they don't even have a listing for the stock filter. So thats why I'm asking you guys with far more experence than me the best way to go. Thanks for the advice as always.

syrfire7
03-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Just my opinion, but it seems that a K&N Filter swap is one of the easiest and cheapest things you can to to get a few more HP out. (Haven't got one for my current rig yet, but the last 3 vehicles I owned had the chrysler 4.8 V8, and they always seemed to run better.

I think this is the part for a JK:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2364

skibum
03-21-2008, 05:14 PM
I've talked to a friend who is an engineer working in the industry. He told me that for pure filtration performance it's tough to beat the stock paper filter. The advantages of the K&N (or any other gauze filter) is that they are, 1) able to be cleaned and will typically last the life of the vehicle and, 2) flow a bit more air thus improving performance somewhat. I've used K&N products on a variety of motorcycles for years and can vouch for their quality. I've never had to replace one. As to the performance aspect, I'm not sure my butt dyno is sufficiently calibrated to notice the difference. As far as losing out on some filtration, I've got a lot of miles on a few of my bikes and haven't had any problems (and the bike engines are in a significantly higher state of tune than the minivan engine. One of them redlines at 15,000 rpm). Oh, one other thing...........I have heard that some vehicles don't respond well to an oiled filter........something about fouling the Master Airflow Sensor and having the computer start throwing codes. I haven't experienced it myself but I know folks who have.

Are you confused yet? :D

jeepster
03-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Yes I am confused. From what I have found out so far is that you almost have to go with the K&N or something similar, as I have unable to find a regular paper filter. I still find it strange the no one is making a paper filter to fit the 3.8 in the JK.

gcg
03-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Yes I am confused. From what I have found out so far is that you almost have to go with the K&N or something similar, as I have unable to find a regular paper filter. I still find it strange the no one is making a paper filter to fit the 3.8 in the JK.
They are readily available from your dealership.

I have a K&N filter on my XJ and, although it's worked OK, I don't think I'd put one on another vehicle. Yes, they can be cleaned and oiled. But it's a bit of a pain. The cleaner eats your skin alive so you need to wear gloves, wash the cleaner off, let the thing dry, reoil, etc. It's a lot easier to just buy a new paper filter and stick it in. My K&N has an annoying whistle from time to time that I haven't been able to get rid of, it's pretty loud and I haven't noticed a bit of performance improvement. It's OK, I just don't think I'd opt for another one.

nam6869usmc
03-22-2008, 08:36 AM
It usually takes me no more than a day or two to swap out to K&N , probabaly more of a mental thing, but they are a great filter.

skibum
03-22-2008, 02:22 PM
They are readily available from your dealership.

X2. I just got one from the dealer. I think it was about $16.00.

rover1301
03-22-2008, 09:10 PM
When I need to clean my K&N filter, I just temporarily replace it for one day with my factory filter.

bad day
03-23-2008, 09:21 AM
K&Ns in my last 5 vehicles. I wouldn't drive without it. As for the cleaning, I wash it at night and oil it and throw it back in in the morning. I probably don't spend 10 minutes on it and I certainly couldn't drive to the dealership that fast. I mean it cuts out at 100 mph lol