Soft top install help please [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Soft top install help please

Bad Dawg
03-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Howdy, new on here but been looking in for a long time.

I have a question, does anyone have a good photo installation guide for the first time soft top install? We tried the other day and found the manual and card to be lacking. We got all the way to installing the side parts and was ready to bolt on the supports and found what I think is a front support of some kind slid into the top. I couldn't find anything telling or showing what to do with it or how to install it.

Thanks

Alec W
03-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Good how to videos can be found here.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224&highlight=soft+top+video

Bad Dawg
03-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks, I already watched the video and it helped some, but it isn't a "How to" for the first time installation. It seems that I had seen someplace in the past, either on this forum or "JKForum", a step by step first time install that a JK owner had documented with pictures. I've done a search but there is a ton of stuff that comes up that would take a month to sift through to find stuff.

Anyone else remember seeing what I think I remember?

JeepDog
03-20-2008, 01:40 PM
This is how to fold the soft top.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-unlimitedsunrider-soft-top-sunroof

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12802&highlight=soft+top+installation&page=2

You also have 2 brackets that bolt to the roll bar for the support bars to bolt to. These brackets are NOT shown in the link (picture) above.

JeepDog
03-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Also can you post pics of what you do have?

You should have 2 brackets that mount to the rollcage where the support bars will bolt too...Should also include 4 torx head bolts to screw into these as well.

You should have 2 door surrounds for the softtop to latch onto.

You should have 2 rear window holder clip things to hold the rear window in place at the bottom. (heavy duty plastic)

You should also have 4 screw in knobs to hold the door surrounds in 2 each side.

I think thats everything off the top of my head. I just put one on this past Sunday for a friend of mine.

Also this is for a 2 door. Just as an FYI.

toadontheroad
04-20-2008, 02:09 PM
To all:
I, too am trying to put on the soft top that came with the dual top option for the first time on my 4 door unlimited. From Jeep Dogs notes for the 2 door it seems I'm missing several pieces. I see nowhere to lock the sides of the top "above the front of the rear doors". Nor do I have brackets to hook on the interior side of the body channel. I also do not have "door frames".

Am I indeed missing these items? Or am I not understanding the installation notes, which swithsc between 2dr and 4 door indiscriminately, making it unclear.:pissed:

CO Hummer
04-20-2008, 02:22 PM
To all:
I, too am trying to put on the soft top that came with the dual top option for the first time on my 4 door unlimited. From Jeep Dogs notes for the 2 door it seems I'm missing several pieces. I see nowhere to lock the sides of the top "above the front of the rear doors". Nor do I have brackets to hook on the interior side of the body channel. I also do not have "door frames".

Am I indeed missing these items? Or am I not understanding the installation notes, which swithsc between 2dr and 4 door indiscriminately, making it unclear.:pissed:

If you have the dual top option you should be starting with three things:

(1) the soft top you had to orginally take off (4 bolts in the rear to the rollbar).
(2) A cardboard box of doors and rear windows
(3) A separate cardboard box of door frames and rear lift gates brackets/arm.

I have the dual top option and just put mine on as well. The Jeep.com videos suck. They are no better than simply reading the manual. All they are good for is to see how to fold the "W" when are putting the soft top down.

It sounds like you only have (1), and maybe (2) above. If you don't have door frames, etc don't even start because your kit is incomplete. Sounds like you are missing the third box. The latch/lock and slide rails are built into the door frames that you need to add before you do anything.

toadontheroad
04-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks Hummer,
You're right.
(read with announcers voice) Johnny said I only got to pick from box number 1 and 2. Box 3 must have gone to the next contestant ...on ...Who's Jeep is it anyway?

Not the first item I needed to back to the dealer for :shaking:

jlangdon
04-23-2008, 08:55 PM
I just purchased my first jeep 3 weeks ago. It was a slightly used 07 2 door X, and had the dual top option. I took the easy way out. I went to the local dealership and asked the salesmen to show me how the soft top came off and how to put it back on. They were very eager to help, folding one down on a new one they had on the lot, and putting it back on. It was a great help. By the way, you are right about the manual, not much help. Thanks, JL

toadontheroad
05-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Well, spent the last weekend practicing taking the soft top off and putting it on in all it's different configurations. As well as with and without the doors.:D

Of course, we had to take it out each time to test the road-worthiness. The Jeep thing is well worth the hapless instructions it came with. I made sure to teach my 16 year old daughter (who is starting to think the JK is hers) how to take care of changing out the roofs and doors in case I bang my head and can't remember. She's got it down the 1st time through ;)

LSM
05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Well, I finally took the hardtop off. I agree the manual is not helpful. you have to jump pages to get the instructions to put the stupid thing on. 45 minutes at least to get the soft top on for the first time.

I am not sure if I have it on correctly as there appears to be a section between the front and back doors (about 2 - 3 inches) that does not seat properly. Any suggestions or is this normal? I think it is more art than science putting the top on the first time.:grinpimp:

toadontheroad
05-06-2008, 07:38 AM
LSM,
I believe that section simply has a tab that is supposed to fit into a slight gap in the door seal material.

You must make sure the plastic tabs are tucked into the slots properly. If you've never put on a top before, you might not notice there appears to be the correct tab...and then if you stick you fingers up inside the soft top further you'll discover the real tabs that go into the slots.

Everything pulls pretty tight when you have the tabs inserted correctly.

LSM
05-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info. I found the real tabs on the rest of the top. I will check when I get home for the other.

Right now, it fits nice and tight. amazingly, no wind noise at all. Almost like having the hardtop on. Just the traffic noise is louder... understandably.

CO Hummer
05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
If you've never put on a top before, you might not notice there appears to be the correct tab...and then if you stick you fingers up inside the soft top further you'll discover the real tabs that go into the slots.

hahahahaha! Amen Brother!! Well put.

I thought I was using the right tabs but couldn't get them to really seat properly. So.........I hate to admit it, but......my genius move was go get some clamps to hold the tabs down for a while so that they 'settled in' overnight. LMAO. I then accidentally took one last look an hour later and happened upon the INSIDE tab. WHAT A FRIGGIN IDIOT I AM. :D :D :D

Alec W
05-06-2008, 09:19 PM
WHAT A FRIGGIN IDIOT I AM. :D :D :D

Agreed :thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

CO Hummer
05-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Agreed :thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

Funny, funny, funny. Just like when I put that buckshot in your t-case fluid. :D :D :D

Alec W
05-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Funny, funny, funny. Just like when I put that buckshot in your t-case fluid. :D :D :D

Thought you put the broken lug nut bits in there :D

CO Hummer
05-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Thought you put the broken lug nut bits in there :D

Those went in your EVAP hose. :thefinger: