A gun for the lady [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: A gun for the lady

Bigjerm
09-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Let me hear some expert opinions. She wanted the S&W 38 special pictured here: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=77468&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

But today we went to the range and she rented a regular .38SP and she liked it overall but she didn't like the trigger pull (even though she shot damn good for her first time) esp after shooting my glock some. So I guess the question here is am I better off showing her another type of gun or is there a mod or part that can replace the heavy trigger? Will the trigger be as heavy on the gun above as a normal rental .38sp?

Thanks fellas

Mr.RonGilbert
09-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Great weapon, my wife has carried one for about 10 years now. I liked it so much I bought me one to keep in my pocket when wearing shorts.... which is every day in the summer and it fits nicely in a pocket.... I have hers loaded with .38 special and mine with .357 mags... the .357 is a little "jumpy"....

I go back to a compact .45 when winter comes back around....

Get it and shoot it..... a bunch, practice drawing from wherever she plans on keeping it. The pink grips are cute but I would get her the crimson trace laser grips to go with it - makes it a no brainer where the bullet is going (once calibrated)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/TheGman_/Misc/P4090242.jpg

kerryp
09-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I don't know much about the newer .38's, but in the older models, you could change out the springs to give the trigger a better feel. Something to check into. I have been wanting one of the light weights, but too many others things to spend money on right now...

Jared89
09-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Well i assume this is for a carry peice? If so i would want a hammerless one like 442 or if you want to be able to use it as a SA get a 638 with a shrouded hammer. If you goto forums i am sure there are a few things you can do about the trigger:beer:

Abadjeeper
09-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I carry a 340PD every day and I love the thing. Most of the time I forget it is there. :D

If she doesn't like the trigger pull I suggest you let her keep looking. I and a lot of guys I know are against messing with a carry gun's for multiple reasons. The first and foremost is reliability but a close 2nd would be that if you lighten the pull up to much accidental discharges are much more likely and for a carry gun I always recommend something with a little firmer pull.

These are just my opinions, guns are like jeeps they come in all different shapes and sizes.:)

Jeremey

WRMorrison
09-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I thought every resident of Smyrna, GA was required to own a glock? Are there any indoor ranges close that have a ladies night? There are a few here, and on ladies night they have free rentals. That way, she can try a bunch and find out what she likes. Mine settled on a G19...

-WRM

Mr.RonGilbert
09-02-2009, 09:42 PM
no matter what the weapon.... practice, practice, practice

When it hits the fan you will not remember the trigger or what it took to pull it unless it is the first time you ever pulled it. You should be thinking "sight-aquire-fire"

My 1911 shoots sweeter than my 340... no doubt.... the trade off is that the 340 is so light I don't feel it tugging against my pants or SOB - its in my pocket and when I am in a parking lot, pumping gas, at the ATM machine etc.... my hand is in my pocket.

I love it, and I practice with it. I really think that is key no matter what you carry - you have to actually carry it first... and you have to know how to operate it...

kerryp
09-03-2009, 06:46 AM
no matter what the weapon.... practice, practice, practice

When it hits the fan you will not remember the trigger or what it took to pull it unless it is the first time you ever pulled it. You should be thinking "sight-aquire-fire"

My 1911 shoots sweeter than my 340... no doubt.... the trade off is that the 340 is so light I don't feel it tugging against my pants or SOB - its in my pocket and when I am in a parking lot, pumping gas, at the ATM machine etc.... my hand is in my pocket.

I love it, and I practice with it. I really think that is key no matter what you carry - you have to actually carry it first... and you have to know how to operate it...

When your right your right,,,,,Now that ammo is becoming more available I am looking forward to doing just that and practicing a bit more, got the guns loaded up for my trip to Colorado today and by this time tomorrow, I will be sitting on a buddies hunting ranch on the CO/WY border plinking away,,,,

Ron, you ever check out texasguntalk.com?

Bigjerm
09-03-2009, 06:59 AM
I thought every resident of Smyrna, GA was required to own a glock? Are there any indoor ranges close that have a ladies night? There are a few here, and on ladies night they have free rentals. That way, she can try a bunch and find out what she likes. Mine settled on a G19...

-WRM

Haha yeah Glock is big around here! She did like mine but wants something smaller so I have been thinking about getting her to rent maybe the 26 (Glock sub 9mm) or the 36 (slim frame .45). I am sure we will talk more about the gun she shot and how she liked/disliked it. I am trying to make sure she doesnt settle on the pretty pink and not the gun. This is going to be for CC.

There is one range down from our house that has ladies night on Wednesday and LEO half of Thursday so we are covered :grinpimp:

lockednloaded
09-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Try a S&W 442 or 642. I'm buying a 442 to carry as a back up weapon to my duty piece. They are hammerless, and less likely to snag on clothing or in her purse. I believe the 637 pictured there has the ability to be fired single action, although I may be wrong. The trigger will "loosen up" after you fire it. The range's rentals have been fired many many times, and their triggers are broken in. If it's for your lady, and she's carrying it concealed, have her practice with it. A lot. When she does go to use it for defense (Hopefully never) she won't be focusing on trigger pull. Practice practice practice.

redwood66
09-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Me being a female who conceal carries, my advice is find a range that rents weapons of all types or friends who have ones she can borrow. You will get much advice about weapons but unless she is comfortable with it she will not carry it. Revolvers are very good and hammerless ones make shooting very simple. FWIW.

As someone else mentioned I would not mess with the trigger on a weapon for a person new to shooting especially if it is for CCW. I carry a Smith M&P 9mm compact but I also have a Kimber Compact CDP 45. I love them both.

Practice Practice Practice.

Broncojohn
09-04-2009, 07:24 AM
My families been carrying their whole lives 2 generations (7 women). If she is going to put it in the purse stick to the wheel guns. They won't jam when you fire it inside the purse.