Rubicon questions [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Rubicon questions

BOXRCON
08-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Looking at doing the Rubicon sometime in September. Have not done it before and looking for some tips. Probably camping 2 nights on the trail.

How deep are the water crossings in Sept. I want to take the doors off and not end up flooding the cab. Have 37's with 6" lift. Smallest is a TJ with 35's 4.5" lift.

Also where are the best camp spots? Buck Island Dam or Buck Island Lakeside.

jonb96150
08-29-2009, 08:34 AM
The water crossings are minimal so no worries there.

Camping at Buck: In calm weather camping with the lake view is nice. If it's windy/rainy it is more protected in the trees below the dam, where there are also makeshift tables that make cooking easier. Mozzies can be bad at the dam but should not be an issue in Sept.

Good choice of timing, Sept. is my favorite month on the 'Con!

BOXRCON
08-29-2009, 09:27 PM
The water crossings are minimal so no worries there.

Camping at Buck: In calm weather camping with the lake view is nice. If it's windy/rainy it is more protected in the trees below the dam, where there are also makeshift tables that make cooking easier. Mozzies can be bad at the dam but should not be an issue in Sept.

Good choice of timing, Sept. is my favorite month on the 'Con!

Yeah, I was worried about Skeeters, we are camping under the stars.

Tables below the dam sound good. We are not bringing any. Is there decent water below the dam?

How long to get to Buck Is. from Loon?

rubirobv
08-30-2009, 10:02 AM
I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

How long to get to Buck Is. from Loon?

It's about six miles from loon to buck. You could run it in six hours without delays. I usally travel the trail at about 1mph on average. Some guys go faster.

Is there decent water below the dam?

I have not seen the creek below the dam very deep. Don't know if you would find a swim hole there. I have not explored the area below the dam so I may not know as much about it as others. I've only camped at the lake.

Skeeters are definately heavier in the trees. I've used 30% deet and it worked great.

For more info, I like this link here.

http://www.geocities.com/dtmcbride/recreation/rubicon-trail.html (http://www.geocities.com/dtmcbride/recreation/rubicon-trail.html)

Mule'Con
09-04-2009, 09:09 PM
From experience, there are many swim holes for humans past Loon Lake damn, but most of the trail crossings have light water for no doors AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, so you should be fine. The swimming holes are close by the trail crossings. but due to vehicles crossing the various creek ways, it builds up a gravel bar effect, which lowers the water height at the crossing, and provides pools for the dogs to get cooled off.
Go have fun, get your cherrry nocked off that jeep. You will love the Ruby.

Mule'Con
09-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Some Rubicon shots of a buddy of mine showing me how to do it. I used my own judgement.....

rubirobv
09-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Trying to figure out where that is on the trail? Wonder if that is in Old Sluice. I haven't been through there.

Brigitta
09-12-2009, 07:55 AM
We camp at the dam and at the springs. Nice areas and the springs offer a nice area to cool off and clean up (just watch out for the crawdads!!)

Sounds like you're starting at Loon. We start at Loon when we don't have a lot of time. If you have the time, you may want to consider starting at Wentworth Springs (the Original Rubicon Trail start point). You'll get to run the postpile and walker hill, but miss the gatekeeper at Loon. I'm surprised how many folks have never ran the Wentworth Springs portion of the trail.

Sept is a great month to run the trail but weekends are still pretty busy. I now the Land Rovers are running a big group through the 17-20 and FOTR are having a workday on the trail on the 26th.

Have Fun!!

toadontheroad
09-21-2009, 12:07 PM
We ran the trail 17th - 19th and did not see ANY Land Rovers. In fact, other than us, we saw 1 Toy P/U, , 1 old Cruiser, 1 Cherokee, 10 Jeeps and 1 4 door JK running east to west. Running the same way we ran (west - east) we saw 4 other Jeeps.

Rob- we accidentally ran the Old Sluice :laughing: Missed the bypass and got out right before a giant boulder. Ran about 3/4 of it.

Brigitta
09-21-2009, 02:23 PM
The Rover's must have been behind you. Although their trip was the 17th -through the 20th, they didn't start the trail until the 18th.

Love the big sluice shot!! Looks like a good times!!

toadontheroad
09-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Would have been cool to see 'em. I have a couple of buddies with Rovers. Someday We'll get them up there (if it's not closed by then!)

Another after Buck Island Dam:

Brigitta
09-21-2009, 03:35 PM
That Rover run on the Rubicon was their "1st Annual" so I'm sure they'll be back. I haven't seen their trip report on it yet, I'm sure it's too early, but if you and your friends are interested check out:

http://nclrclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=185&Itemid=111