Interesting rescue today - towed a Firetruck! [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Interesting rescue today - towed a Firetruck!

venom
08-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Local town (Clyde) had a major fire, called in help from all of the local VFDs.
This old girl conked out inbound and all of the local police and fire were busy so I got tapped.
Took some fuel, her battery was dead and I had no cables so I brought out the strap - guys looked at me like I was nuts!
She was fully loaded with water and no lightweight to begin with, but I drug her about a mile and a half to a station trying to bump start her along the way.
Anyway, we finally got her running.
Lil Jeep done good!

Wish I had video of David pulling Goliath up the hill :grinpimp:

TEXASKEV
08-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Cool, that would have been a great photo op!!

tkob1060
08-25-2009, 11:05 PM
thats Awesome :beer:

Mr.RonGilbert
08-26-2009, 07:06 AM
Nice job V!!

Zack Massey
08-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Cool, guess jeeps can do just about anything,,,

SASQUATCH
08-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Way cool Venom, had this been on the sand, dirt or mud, you'd be replacing your pass side axle uj :smokin:

paramaniac
08-26-2009, 07:25 AM
great story and great old fire truck! thats a beauty... any other pics of it?

venom
08-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Pulling that thing was quite a testament to the strength of some of these parts!
Lots of extra stress on the PolyPerformance springs and arms, the RockHard bumper tow point and the Superior 5.13s.
And of course on the TrailDuty D-ring that hooked the strap to the bumper :smokin:

Stock drive and axle shafts took the abuse too!

great story and great old fire truck! thats a beauty... any other pics of it?

Thats the only one I snapped before bailing back to the S.O. to see what else needed done

That truck is about average for whats still in full time service at most of the smaller volunteer fire depts around TX
Still a lot of old WWII era deuce and a halfs turned brush trucks working hard every day

One of the car lots close to here has a beautiful late 1930s-early 1940s Seagraves - the one that's an open c0ckpit all the way back, fully convertible.
Looks perfect from the road.
Probably recently retired from service!

yoda13
08-26-2009, 10:11 PM
cool story...great truck...:)

Goodysgotacuda
08-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Cool story! I've always wanted to hook my Rubi up to something stupid heavy and see what it'd tug in 4-low. It's a crazy low gear with the manual lol

venom
09-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Tonight's adventure, we had a lot of rain and the sheriff had one run during a traffic stop out on a muddy road.
He was caught with drugs and bailed on foot.
One of the sheriff's trucks slid off into a ditch and was stuck BAD.
I got the call about 11, got out there, the road had about 5" of pudding on top and a bad crown in the middle. I could barely keep my Jeep on the road!
I ended up sliding off into the ditch, made it across the ditch into a field where there was actually traction and managed to get myself out.
I was gonna winch the S.O. truck out but a guy 3 houses up the road had a full sized road grader in his yard, so I bowed out to a 20 ton monster.
We got the grader stuck a couple of times, but finally got the S.O. truck out without too much damage and I made it out on my own, but I think I finally finished off my front DS, cuz I was sliding around in 2WD.
I'll look tomorrow and verify, but I'm pretty sure it's the shaft.
I've been waiting for it to finally fail for about a year and have a spare in the shop waiting.
Good news is that if it IS the shaft, the boots still good and I can pass it along to someone who has thrashed theirs.