Winch drum not aligned with fairlead - Superwinch [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Winch drum not aligned with fairlead - Superwinch

BADGER
08-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Quick question for you guys. I finally got around to pulling my old POS winch from my bumper, and dropped in my Superwinch EPi 9.0 (you know, the notoriously killer winches that are also notoriously difficult to fit). It dropped in with room to spare, but the fairlead and drum do not completely align. The drum ends up sitting about 1/2" - 3/4" inch to the right of center with the fairlead. I'm using Viking synthetic line and a Hawse fairlead.

Is this okay, or do I need to perform some bumper surgery to get the two in alignment?

usmcdoc14
08-19-2009, 02:42 PM
should be fine, you can always re-drill the holes. Are the mounting holes centered to the opening?

BADGER
08-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Let's see if I can explain this....

There are two sets of mounting holes in the bumper (this is a Hard Rock bumper with a recessed mount). They are not offset much from each other. Using the holes that would mount the Superwinch without modifying the bumper, that's when I get the drum/fairlead offset. The brake-end of the winch housing contacts part of the bumper plate in this scenario but fits.

I can't use the other set of holes because the brake-end of the winch housing is stopped by the edge of the bumper plate before holes can align. If I trim the edge of the bumper plate a bit, I can reach the holes and the drum/fairlead should align almost perfectly. But, it's 1/4 plate and it's a pretty stout job to cut or grind it down.

Does that make sense?

usmcdoc14
08-19-2009, 07:20 PM
I would grab the 4.5" grinder and a flap wheel and make some clearance, but thats me :D

BADGER
08-20-2009, 07:49 AM
I would grab the 4.5" grinder and a flap wheel and make some clearance, but thats me :D

That's pretty much what I'm leaning towards myself....

JKDoc
08-20-2009, 12:30 PM
My Shrockworks bumper came with the opening offset, I assumed to line up with the winch they were selling. My Mile Marker hydraulic lined up with the center of the bumper. This had the fairlead and drum about an inch off centering with the opening. Everyone said it would be ok but I've read that with the synthetic line you want as little tight bending of the line as possible and certainly you don't want to pull the line across a sharp edge of the bumper cut out. We extended the opening, made a new backing plate with opening centered for the winch drum and mounted the fairlead to the backing plate, the backing plate to the bumper. It looks like it was designed that way and the line makes no contact with any part of the bumper.

jdrogers
08-20-2009, 01:26 PM
My Shrockworks bumper came with the opening offset, I assumed to line up with the winch they were selling. My Mile Marker hydraulic lined up with the center of the bumper. This had the fairlead and drum about an inch off centering with the opening. Everyone said it would be ok but I've read that with the synthetic line you want as little tight bending of the line as possible and certainly you don't want to pull the line across a sharp edge of the bumper cut out. We extended the opening, made a new backing plate with opening centered for the winch drum and mounted the fairlead to the backing plate, the backing plate to the bumper. It looks like it was designed that way and the line makes no contact with any part of the bumper.

This is what I basically did for my SuperWinch on the Mopar rock bumper that hase the fair lead off center to fit a Warn winch. But on mine I welded a new plate to the bumper to center the fair lead.

http://www.jdrogers.com/newjeep/fbumperfront.jpg

BADGER
08-20-2009, 02:54 PM
I'll have to take a second look and see just how far off it is. If the line might touch something other than the fairlead, then I'm gonna have to get to work. If it doesn't I'll just leave it.

Because of the way the bumper is designed with the current mounting hole and fairlead configuration, it will definitely make more sense and be easier to grind away part of the top bumper plate to accommodate the winch end rather than mess with the fairlead slot/mount.

JKDoc
08-24-2009, 08:32 AM
We were able to open the slot easily. The problem then came trying to mount the fairlead. That was why we needed to add the extra plate.

JDROGERS, that really looks good. I did not want to repaint the bumper so mine is bolted.

JKDoc
08-24-2009, 08:37 AM
This is what I basically did for my SuperWinch on the Mopar rock bumper that hase the fair lead off center to fit a Warn winch. But on mine I welded a new plate to the bumper to center the fair lead.

http://www.jdrogers.com/newjeep/fbumperfront.jpg

That really looks good. I did not want to repaint the bumper so we bolted the plate in.
http://my.project-jk.com/data/1413/medium/Mile_Marker_Winch.JPG