Poly Performance Rocker guards [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Poly Performance Rocker guards

terrahawk
02-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Just bought a set off Quadratec and was wondering if anybody has installed them by themselves as an extra set of hands for me maybe difficult to find when they arrive?

tia,

terrahawk

BigO
02-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Here's a thread that may be of help...

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687&highlight=rocker

terrahawk
02-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks

HUNTER
02-27-2008, 10:17 AM
THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE A$$ BY YOURSELF! aND MAKE SURE THE NUT INSERTS ARE TIGHT. AND THEN TIGHTEN THEM SOME MORE BECAUSE ONCE THEY SPIN ITS NOTHING BUT TROUBLE. MY DRIVER SIDE IS STILL IN NEED OF ADJUSTMENT. MY "TOOL" FOR NUTSERTS WORE OUT AND I ENDED UP BUYING A NEW ONE. ALSO CHECK THEM AS SOON AS YOU GET THEM. i RECEIVED TWO PASS SIDE AND QUADRATEC THEN SENT ME ANOTHER PASS SIDE!!

PhilD
02-27-2008, 10:39 AM
I had help to install mine, and with two people it is easy. After doing it, I could easily do it by myself a second time, and have had mine off and on since by myself. But for the initial install I would recommend having an extra pair of hands if possible.

I never had any problem with the nutserts, just get them tight. Don't use any thread locker on the bolts, otherwise you will have a problem should you ever have to remove them.

If you need another nutsert "tool" you can make your own easily with a bolt, nut, and star washer, just copy the one provided. I've used a bolt and lock washer in the past for nutserts.

Use a step drill to drill the holes in the body, it is much easier than a regular drill bit, and will prevent the possibility of ripping up the body work. If you don't have one, you can pick one up at Harbor Freight for $8 or so that will do the job just fine. In a few places you have to drill through the an inner piece of steel also, but it is all easy.

I found the stock body mount bolts a little bit of a pain to get out, as they seem to spin freely, just apply a little downward pressure on the washers and they will come out just fine. Same for putting the new bolts in, I found it easier to use a drill driver and apply a little ipward pressure and then they go in real easy.

PhilD
02-27-2008, 10:44 AM
THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE A$$ BY YOURSELF! aND MAKE SURE THE NUT INSERTS ARE TIGHT. AND THEN TIGHTEN THEM SOME MORE BECAUSE ONCE THEY SPIN ITS NOTHING BUT TROUBLE. If nutserts spin, I've always found that some light use of an impact wrench will tighten them nicely. Same applies if they spin while trying to remove them, light use of an impact will tighten them up good and then allow you to undo them easily without spinning.

terrahawk
02-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

HUNTER
02-27-2008, 03:54 PM
I think you will be happy, I like them the best that I have seen, SOLID. I agree with PhilD it would definately be easier the second time around.

PhilD
02-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I think you will be happy, I like them the best that I have seen, SOLID. X2 and they are very high clearance.

ASTAR
03-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I put mine on the other day and they are BY FAR the best out there. I am soooo glad I went with the PP ones.
Just a side note, if you have a Rubicon Express long arm kit, you will need to notch out the rocker to accommodate the rear lower control arm bracket. No big deal but nice to know.

rock342
03-02-2008, 11:29 AM
The PP rockers install the same way as the Rock Hard rockers. I was able to install these with occasional assistance from the wife.
PhilD is right about getting the factory bolts out. I used an air racket and simultaneously applied downward pressure using a garden trowel for leverage! Worked a charm.
Don't forget to paint the holes (touch up paint is $9 at your Jeep dealer) after your drill them and let em dry before you install the nutserts...
I actaully bought a $40 stubby step drill bit from Ace so that I wouldn't have to drill thru the inner wall...

Eracer76
03-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I put mine on the other day and they are BY FAR the best out there. I am soooo glad I went with the PP ones.
Just a side note, if you have a Rubicon Express long arm kit, you will need to notch out the rocker to accommodate the rear lower control arm bracket. No big deal but nice to know.

I have the RE 4.5 LA kit too and Im thinking about getting the Poly rockers.

I have no problem cutting them to fit, I do things like this all the time, but would you happen to have pics of what yours looks like?

That would be great if you have some to show! :)

To anyone else who has them, Im also wondering how far they stick out off the side of the Jeep?
Do they provide much more then the stock Rubi rails do, as far as keeping a tree off my door?

Thanks for any info guys!

ASTAR
04-04-2008, 11:37 PM
I have the RE 4.5 LA kit too and Im thinking about getting the Poly rockers.

I have no problem cutting them to fit, I do things like this all the time, but would you happen to have pics of what yours looks like?

That would be great if you have some to show! :)

To anyone else who has them, Im also wondering how far they stick out off the side of the Jeep?
Do they provide much more then the stock Rubi rails do, as far as keeping a tree off my door?

Thanks for any info guys!

Sorry, I just saw this reply. I'll get you some pics.
I beat on them a little in Moab and they laughed at everything I banged/rubbed them on. They only stick out about an inch and a half but it seems adequate.

Eracer76
04-07-2008, 08:36 PM
THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE A$$ BY YOURSELF! aND MAKE SURE THE NUT INSERTS ARE TIGHT. AND THEN TIGHTEN THEM SOME MORE BECAUSE ONCE THEY SPIN ITS NOTHING BUT TROUBLE. MY DRIVER SIDE IS STILL IN NEED OF ADJUSTMENT. MY "TOOL" FOR NUTSERTS WORE OUT AND I ENDED UP BUYING A NEW ONE. ALSO CHECK THEM AS SOON AS YOU GET THEM. i RECEIVED TWO PASS SIDE AND QUADRATEC THEN SENT ME ANOTHER PASS SIDE!!

I didnt have a problem with the nut inserts, but after I installed the driver side rail,
I opened the box labeled passenger side, and low and behold it was another driver side!!! :pissed:
Maybe I got your driver side and you got my passenger side :D
Anyway, Quadratec sent a new one out asap with a return tag for the wrong one, which I still have along with extra hardware and stickers :thefinger:

Sorry, I just saw this reply. I'll get you some pics.
I beat on them a little in Moab and they laughed at everything I banged/rubbed them on. They only stick out about an inch and a half but it seems adequate.
No problem, I got them and installed them last week.
All I had to do was notch the very bottom about 2 1/2" x 14" to clear the long arm bracket and part of the arm.
I put them to use already too, so far they just laughed at the rocks they touched :D

PhilD
04-08-2008, 07:29 PM
I beat on them a little in Moab and they laughed at everything I banged/rubbed them on. I did the same the other week down here, put some nice scratches in them, but nothing else.

They only stick out about an inch and a half but it seems adequate.For playing on rocks that is all you need, the high clearance of them kept me off the rocks a lot of the time. I really like them.