New dog, rename? [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: New dog, rename?

AZ Bulldog
02-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Hello all, the wife and I got a new dog yesterday. He's a 4 y/o Boston, we have a French Bulldog and had a Boston until September of '07 when he passed on. We have a friend at a Boston rescue and she said we've been without one long enough and the Frenchie needs a stable mate.

Now, his name is Buddy but he doesn't seem to answer to it? I'm actually thinking he's deaf but the wife doesn't believe me, typical. The problem with the name is that the Frenchie's name is Johnny but I always call him "Buddy", so when I call the Boston the Frenchie comes a runnin' also.

Oh well, any suggestions on a name? I was thinking something with a Jeep or wheelin' theme, the wife said I'm an idiot. Should I not change it? I only have one photo at the moment.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q308/Pusher71/Dogs/101_0989.jpg

We think he's a little on the thin side, I think he needs another 3-5lbs.

Ipe
02-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Congrats on the new pup! :beer: :smokin: :D

If he is a rescue dog then a new name may be best. I'm sure that you know his history but if he was taken from a "questionable" home then he may have negative associations with his name. IE: Someone calls his name, he comes, he gets whacked with a newspaper. :hide: :eek: Hopefully this was NOT the case :pissed:. Either way, he may appreciate a new name.

One thing to consider is that dogs like and respond well to happy tones ending with and "ee" sound. Just like Buddy or Ipe (say Ip-ee). So names ending with that sort of sound are best. :)

AZ Bulldog
02-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the tip, although we've figured out why he doesn't respond to his name. He's deaf! I was right. I wish someone would've told us, he was here for a few hours before he noticed my wifes bird. I said how did he not know the bird was here with all the squawking it does? Well we figured it out. :shaking:

Anyways, he loves going in the Jeep. I took the roof off and went and bought him a harness so he could still go with us. Here's a couple of shots from today.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q308/Pusher71/101_1004.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q308/Pusher71/101_1007.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q308/Pusher71/101_1009.jpg

MichaelW
02-28-2008, 07:15 AM
That is cool and one lucky pup.

Deaf or not you can sure see he's enjoying himself in the JK! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

MichaelW
02-28-2008, 07:19 AM
Oops, forgot to add.

As a general rule you probably don't want to change a dogs name. They will eventually, usually, maybe, someday get the new name. But I also agree with IPE that the name could also be a bad thing.

But I guess this won't be something you will need to worry about.

You could change his name to a flag semiphore or some hand gesture then call him, "the dog formally known as buddy". :laughing:

AZ Bulldog
02-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Oops, forgot to add.

As a general rule you probably don't want to change a dogs name. They will eventually, usually, maybe, someday get the new name. But I also agree with IPE that the name could also be a bad thing.

But I guess this won't be something you will need to worry about.

You could change his name to a flag semiphore or some hand gesture then call him, "the dog formally known as buddy". :laughing:

"The dog formally known as Buddy" Now that's funny. I told the wife that I'd teach him sign language but to tune me out all he'd have to do is turn his head. She said, "I wish it was that easy for me". I get no respect!

The details I was told about him were that a woman had two dogs (buddy and another), and four kids. Her sister was incarcerated, leaving her with an additional five kids and four dogs! So the nine kids and and six dogs was just overwhelming, she was afraid that Buddy wouldn't be treated good by the other children so she chose to give him up.

I'd given the kids away, but I'm good like that. :smokin:

Ipe
02-28-2008, 11:55 AM
The pup formerly known as Buddy looks very happy in the JK. :smokin:

I can't wait to get the top off so that Ipe (my Golden Retriever) can enjoy some fresh air too! :D

Detonator X
03-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Agree with Michael W, that is one lucky pup!

duskydriver
03-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I would think you could yell " Hey ***hole" and he'd ignore you seeing as he's deaf.

A dog who enjoys a ride in a Jeep can only be named Wrangler

Your wife will think you'r crazy, and possibly want to place a black mark on your MAN CARD, but a dog named Wrangler riding in a Jeep is just cool.

AZ Bulldog
03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Well I gave him a new name, sort of. I've been working on hand signals with him, the generic arm straight, hand out for stop. Now to get him to come took some thought, and I think I came up with the best ever!

Here it is, :thefinger: . I just give him the two handed salute and he comes running! My wife was a lil' :pissed: but she's over it now and actually thinks it's funny.

His favorite pastime, sleeping on the floorboard.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q308/Pusher71/101_1011.jpg

Detonator X
03-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Re: 'favorite pastime', Our latest 'rescue' was the same way. Guess breaking in a new 'human' is tough work.