New Rancho JK Products [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: New Rancho JK Products

PhilD
02-24-2008, 01:52 PM
If you haven't them yet, Rancho have come out with some new products for the JK, including an oil pan skid, tube doors, control arm skids, and a front diff glide plate.

http://www.trailduty.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=rancho+jk

usmcdoc14
02-25-2008, 09:21 AM
simple little no-weld items they got going

gcg
02-25-2008, 09:47 AM
How does the oil pan skid attach? What is the safety wire for?

PhilD
02-25-2008, 10:27 AM
How does the oil pan skid attach? What is the safety wire for?I wondered the exact same thing. I'll have one here tomorrow or Wednesday and will post some pics.

Ipe
02-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I wondered the exact same thing. I'll have one here tomorrow or Wednesday and will post some pics.

From what I read on the "other forum", believe it or not, it attaches with...
Wait for it...
Double sided tape :shaking: :confused:

Seeing as this came from the "other forum" I imagine that this is comparable to emergencies like "Help! can I fit 18" tires on my 17" Rubicon wheels if I attach spacers?..." :laughing:

At the same time you do have to wonder about the safety wire and the lack of other visible fasteners. :confused:

PhilD
02-25-2008, 12:39 PM
At the same time you do have to wonder about the safety wire and the lack of other visible fasteners. :confused:There are some double sided tapes that are very strong and capable, but I'm not entirely convinced I'd want to use it, although I'd give it a try, maybe...

The safety wire seems to be a waste of time to me, as that could easily get cut off by a rock. Making a few tabs that allow it to be bolt in place would seem to be the logical way to me, but they are not there. We'll see...

venom
02-25-2008, 01:01 PM
yeah, I may be wrong but it looks like it would be a pretty simple deal to have a couple of ears coming off and use some longer oil pan bolts.
I guess they don't wanna be responsible for their skid catching a rock and tearing off your oil pan?

some of the other stuff looks pretty cool tho

John L
02-25-2008, 01:10 PM
There are some double sided tapes that are very strong and capable, but I'm not entirely convinced I'd want to use it, although I'd give it a try, maybe...

The safety wire seems to be a waste of time to me, as that could easily get cut off by a rock. Making a few tabs that allow it to be bolt in place would seem to be the logical way to me, but they are not there. We'll see...

I agree about the tape, some of that stuff you can't remove short of applying a smoke wrench.

Not sure I agree with you on the wire, we use a ton of it here at work (aviation, repair and new mfg.). Some of that stuff will dull and nick even the best cutters.

Ipe
02-25-2008, 01:24 PM
There are some double sided tapes that are very strong and capable, but I'm not entirely convinced I'd want to use it, although I'd give it a try, maybe...

Don't take my word on it about the tape. I could be totally off the wall on that. Its just something I read on the "other forum". Its possible that tape is enough to do the trick. I donno. I'd think that the main thing this skid is doing is protecting the pan from crushing forces so its possible that no other fastener is needed. Again, I donno.

PhilD
02-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Not sure I agree with you on the wire, we use a ton of it here at work (aviation, repair and new mfg.). Some of that stuff will dull and nick even the best cutters.Maybe it's stronger than it looks, but I'd have thought that should it get between a rock and the skid, the wire will cut.

My concern about the wire is that is it there just because they don't trust the tape? ;)

PhilD
02-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Don't take my word on it about the tape. Too late. If it is held on with tape, you will get passing acknowledgment for stating the obvious; if it is held on some other way you will be ridiculed for years ;)

I'd think that the main thing this skid is doing is protecting the pan from crushing forces so its possible that no other fastener is needed. Again, I donno.I agree, just about force acting against it will be pushing it up.

It's only 1/8" also, but I unless you plan using your oil pan as a sledge hammer, I don't think it needs to be any stronger. I haven't hit my oil pan at all yet, and even if I did it would likely be on an obstacle where I was moving very slow.

John L
02-25-2008, 03:31 PM
The oilpan is so high in the frame I can't imagine hitting it without doing serious collateral damage to other parts the obstacle had to destroy/drag over to get to the pan......

PhishJeep
02-26-2008, 02:52 AM
I read somewhere it is held on by silicone. Still, the price has me interested.

PhilD
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
The oil pan skid plate is held in place with ProSeal Copper XS Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Instant Gasket. The instructions say to hold the skid in place with a jack over night and that it fully cures in 24 hours. The wire (that can be seen in the picture) is optional and not provided, and I suspect not necessary.

It looks stout enough to protect the oil pan pretty well, and is an economical way of adding protection.

http://www.trailduty.com/temp/pan_1.jpg

http://www.trailduty.com/temp/pan_2.jpg

PhilD
02-26-2008, 11:43 AM
The front diff glide plate is a solid looking piece and no doubt will do the job well. I'm not 100% convinced it is needed, but I like the idea.

http://www.trailduty.com/temp/diff_glide_1.jpg

PhilD
02-26-2008, 11:44 AM
The front LCA brackets are simple enough, but make for easy bolt protection on in an area that needs it.

http://www.trailduty.com/temp/lca_skids_1.jpg

cab76
02-26-2008, 02:11 PM
The front diff glide plate is a solid looking piece and no doubt will do the job well. I'm not 100% convinced it is needed,

http://www.trailduty.com/temp/diff_glide_1.jpg

Why do you say that? Not arguing - just curious. It seems like the front of the differential would be somewhat vulnerable without it.

PhilD
02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Why do you say that? Not arguing - just curious. It seems like the front of the differential would be somewhat vulnerable without it.First I try not to ram rocks with my diff, but it does happen from time to time. Second, I have a Riddler diff cover which offers pretty good protection already.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, I really do, I'm just not 100% that it is needed, but I'm open to persuasion ;)

RotorHead
02-26-2008, 02:43 PM
First I try not to ram rocks with my diff, but it does happen from time to time. Second, I have a Riddler diff cover which offers pretty good protection already.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, I really do, I'm just not 100% that it is needed, but I'm open to persuasion ;)

Hey Phil, do you think that would work with the Riddler cover?

PhilD
02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Hey Phil, do you think that would work with the Riddler cover?I'll check it out this evening and let you know.

Alec W
02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
The front LCA brackets look like a good idea if you donít have access to a welder.

Iím not sure about the diff protection either. It looks like it may almost get in the way.

I like the oil pan skid for the price.

I'm assuming bright red is optional?

Alec W
02-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Ipe, itís obvious that tape would not hold it on. Let the ridicule begin and stop reading the bling JK forum :thefinger: :laughing::laughing: ;)

PhilD
02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm assuming bright red is optional?Painting itself a color of your own choice is optional, red is not ;)

PhilD
02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Ipe, itís obvious that tape would not hold it on. X2 I can't even believe that anyone suggested that ;) :D

PhilD
02-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Iím not sure about the diff protection either. It looks like it may almost get in the way.It's a closer fit than it looks, you most probably only lose 3/8" or so.

Ipe
02-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Ipe, itís obvious that tape would not hold it on. Let the ridicule begin and stop reading the bling JK forum :thefinger: :laughing::laughing: ;):thefinger: Tape, sealant... What-Ev-Rrrrrr :D :laughing:

In my ridicule worthy defense, I must say I read it long ago when I didn't know to avoid the bling-evil of the "other forum". I know better now. ;) :laughing: :innocent:

seer
02-26-2008, 07:37 PM
First, PhilD how do you rate? Not wanting to weld on my axle, I ordered the control arm skids a month ago. Quadratec (only site that showed them) lets me know they're back ordered only when the rest of the order arrives. Anybody else REALLY hate that? Rancho won't answer my emails either! Again, how do you rate PhilD?:thefinger:

Okay, now that's off my chest, you can actually "surf" rocks with those diff sliders. Knowing they're under there allows you to approach rocks with a little more power so you can slide over them and then not worry about the driveshaft either. While partial to Nth Degree's, (now AEV) these look pretty neat.

a plumber
02-26-2008, 09:33 PM
has anyone installed those tube doors yet?

PhilD
02-27-2008, 07:28 AM
First, PhilD how do you rate? Not wanting to weld on my axle, I ordered the control arm skids a month ago. Quadratec (only site that showed them) lets me know they're back ordered only when the rest of the order arrives. Anybody else REALLY hate that? Rancho won't answer my emails either! Again, how do you rate PhilD?:thefinger:Sometimes a manufacturer will make an initial run of a product, everyone will add it to their inventory/catalog/etc and then they sell out of the initial run and there is a delay until the next run. Other times, companies add stuff to be first on the market, before they are actually available. But they are shipping now, so you should have them.

The control arm skids are simple, but effective. One of the nice things about bolt on stuff is that it is easy to change them when/if they need replacing.

PhilD
02-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Knowing they're under there allows you to approach rocks with a little more power so you can slide over them and then not worry about the driveshaft either.It's not going to offer protection for the driveshaft, but you are right it does you give you a sacrificial surface to slide over rocks with.

I'm not sure why they only offer one for the front though, and not the rear...

PhilD
02-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Hey Phil, do you think that would work with the Riddler cover?It will work, but because of the profile of the Riddler covers, you'd have to use some small spacers (even a few washers would do) between the diff cover and the glide plate bracket.

PhilD
02-27-2008, 08:43 AM
I installed the oil pan skid last night. I used the complete tube of sealant. It fits on pretty tight, I don't think it is going to come off in a hurry. For some quick, affordable, easy to install oil pan protection I think it does the job just great.

seer
02-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Sometimes a manufacturer will make an initial run of a product, everyone will add it to their inventory/catalog/etc and then they sell out of the initial run and there is a delay until the next run. Other times, companies add stuff to be first on the market, before they are actually available. But they are shipping now, so you should have them.

The control arm skids are simple, but effective. One of the nice things about bolt on stuff is that it is easy to change them when/if they need replacing.

All in fun Phil. No offense intended, just jealousy.:wink_animate:

seer
02-27-2008, 10:03 AM
It's not going to offer protection for the driveshaft, but you are right it does you give you a sacrificial surface to slide over rocks with.

I'm not sure why they only offer one for the front though, and not the rear...

Looking at it more closely, I see that. I was thinking of the Nth Degree(AEV) style.

jeepik
02-27-2008, 10:30 AM
hey Phil

can you show some pics of the control arm skids mounted???

PhilD
02-27-2008, 11:50 AM
can you show some pics of the control arm skids mounted???No, because I have not mounted them yet ;)

Most likely get it done in the next couple of days and will post pics.

PhilD
02-27-2008, 12:13 PM
All in fun Phil. No offense intended, just jealousy.:wink_animate::D No offense taken, and I've done the same many times, ordered stuff to find it is back ordered for three months, and it really pisses me off too. But I have also experienced the other side of it, and although it can be the fault of the retailer, they are sometimes just caught in the middle. The manufacturers often send out new product info with product availability dates, and sometimes these dates are not met, or demand overtakes supply and the product becomes unavailable for some time, or they quote x days/weeks for delivery, but then it takes three times as long.

seer
02-27-2008, 01:22 PM
:D No offense taken, and I've done the same many times, ordered stuff to find it is back ordered for three months, and it really pisses me off too. But I have also experienced the other side of it, and although it can be the fault of the retailer, they are sometimes just caught in the middle. The manufacturers often send out new product info with product availability dates, and sometimes these dates are not met, or demand overtakes supply and the product becomes unavailable for some time, or they quote x days/weeks for delivery, but then it takes three times as long.

My true gripe is that I have to hear that it's been back ordered only when my stuff arrives two weeks later. If I could find out right away, I'd be able to have the time to research other avenues. Probably why they do it that way. They were kind of an after thought and if I had seen those brake lines I needed on your site first, I'd just be thinking of those skids now. I appreciate the service and prices you offer and wish I'd come across your site sooner in my build.

RotorHead
03-01-2008, 09:19 AM
No, because I have not mounted them yet ;)

Most likely get it done in the next couple of days and will post pics.

Thanks Phil. Look forward to pics.

RotorHead
03-01-2008, 09:25 AM
While partial to Nth Degree's, (now AEV) these look pretty neat.

Speaking of Nth, What's the latest word AEV releasing some of their stuff? I am really interested in a slider for the rear drive shaft. I already destroyed my factory shaft and don't want to do the same to my new fancy one. Is anybody else working on these? I'm also wondering what ever happened to AEV's touted rear bumper that was supposed to be unvailed at SEMA. It seems they haven't released anythin new in a long time.

Edit: I just checked AEV's site and they have the sliders listed for the TJ D44. Would the same work for the JK. I know the axles are a little different in some areas.

rear
https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/graphics/00000001/NTH24200.jpg

front
https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/graphics/00000001/NTH24201.jpg

Dustoff '68
03-02-2008, 07:47 AM
:D No offense taken, and I've done the same many times, ordered stuff to find it is back ordered for three months, and it really pisses me off too. But I have also experienced the other side of it, and although it can be the fault of the retailer, they are sometimes just caught in the middle. The manufacturers often send out new product info with product availability dates, and sometimes these dates are not met, or demand overtakes supply and the product becomes unavailable for some time, or they quote x days/weeks for delivery, but then it takes three times as long.

I no longer just order on the internet...even if a site says they have said item(s) in stock...I call first, and if possible, get a serial number of the item I am purchasing, and THEN I say OK...send it and when will I get it...I also ask and get a direct line to whomever the sales person is so that I can cancel said transaction if it isn't on my porch by 9PM on promised delivery day...I'm a real bastard to do business with, but it's my money and my time...anyone wants my money, then it's business MY way.;)

seer
03-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I no longer just order on the internet...even if a site says they have said item(s) in stock...I call first, and if possible, get a serial number of the item I am purchasing, and THEN I say OK...send it and when will I get it...I also ask and get a direct line to whomever the sales person is so that I can cancel said transaction if it isn't on my porch by 9PM on promised delivery day...I'm a real bastard to do business with, but it's my money and my time...anyone wants my money, then it's business MY way.;)

I agree, business MY way. However I'm in a weird situation with my job where I can email my butt off all day long, but phone calls are a big no. Thus I appreciate sites that list an item as in stock when I order, or at least email me back letting me know about the backorder. I do try to find smaller vendors who are still interested in providing that personal touch. Just every once in a while the big guys are the only one carrying something.

seer
03-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Speaking of Nth, What's the latest word AEV releasing some of their stuff? I am really interested in a slider for the rear drive shaft. I already destroyed my factory shaft and don't want to do the same to my new fancy one. Is anybody else working on these? I'm also wondering what ever happened to AEV's touted rear bumper that was supposed to be unvailed at SEMA. It seems they haven't released anythin new in a long time.

Edit: I just checked AEV's site and they have the sliders listed for the TJ D44. Would the same work for the JK. I know the axles are a little different in some areas.

rear
https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/graphics/00000001/NTH24200.jpg

front
https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/graphics/00000001/NTH24201.jpg

I just finished up with several long emails with AEV. The diff sliders do not work with the new D44's. :crybaby2: So much so they already had my card number and refused to ship. I have a great deal of respect for those folks. Mike over there did assure me they were working on sliders for the JK and they would be out sometime soon.

RotorHead
03-04-2008, 06:43 AM
I just finished up with several long emails with AEV. The diff sliders do not work with the new D44's. :crybaby2: So much so they already had my card number and refused to ship. I have a great deal of respect for those folks. Mike over there did assure me they were working on sliders for the JK and they would be out sometime soon.

Thanks SEER. I really look forward to these coming out. I agree, they are some good folks and make outstanding products. I love my front bumper. I just wish it was a stubby. Some day soon it will be. :bounce:

skibum
03-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks SEER. I really look forward to these coming out. I agree, they are some good folks and make outstanding products. I love my front bumper. I just wish it was a stubby. Some day soon it will be. :bounce:

Rotor..........you're not seriously considering cutting up an AEV front bumper to make it a stubby are you? I'll buy you whatever stubby you want, just send me the AEV. :D

RotorHead
03-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Rotor..........you're not seriously considering cutting up an AEV front bumper to make it a stubby are you? I'll buy you whatever stubby you want, just send me the AEV. :D

Actually, I am.

I'm still weighing options on selling and replacing with stubby, or having it professionally cut and blended just outside the fog lights. I love the bumper and with stock fenders I feel it is the best looking out there, but I will be putting Poison Spyder tube fenders on soon and it won't blend as well with the wings on it. I like the way the winch fits between the frame rails and is hidden.

I still think it would be one bad mofo stubby bumper. Does anybody want to photochop it for me?

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w196/gatrailriders/River%20Rock%20February%2022-24th%202008/DSC03321.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x164/SeminoleMike/River%20Rock%20Nov%202007/P1010361.jpg

Bigjerm
03-04-2008, 01:52 PM
how far in do you want it cut? Seems like the fogs stick a little further out than the width of the front grille so it would need to be a little longer than that to keep the fogs.

PhilD
03-12-2008, 11:26 AM
can you show some pics of the control arm skids mounted???Better late than never, but only got around to doing them the other day.

Very simple install. A good alternative to those that don't want to weld to their LCA brackets. I like they way they flare open towards the bottom, which gives plenty of room for the control arms. The slot in the front is for accessing control arms with lube points.

seer
03-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Looks great Phil. I'm no longer jealous though. Mine showed up this week. I'm just waiting on my new D44 to show so I can put them in at the same time.

PhilD
03-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm just waiting on my new D44Cool, that will make a nice write up;)

John L
03-13-2008, 06:04 AM
Cool, that will make a nice write up;)

Jeez, Phil, poke me in the eye whydoncha:D
Sorry I didn't do the writeup when I did mine. I finally bought a dig cam last week, so I'll start posting up what I do from now on.

Good luck with the D44 install seer, mine went off without a hitch sans the damn little wheel sensor plugs. I broke a locking tab off the pass side and had to remove the entire sensor out of the hub to get at it. Other than that it was about 3 hours from start to test drive.

PhilD
03-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Jeez, Phil, poke me in the eye whydoncha:D:D:D:D

jeepik
03-13-2008, 07:13 PM
thanks for the pics Phil

they look good

scott_stahley
03-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Does anyone have any reviews of the 4" Long arm kit with the rear tri-link? How complete is this kit? Will it really fit 37" tires?

Thanks,

Scott

MaloCS
03-08-2010, 12:53 PM
I still think it would be one bad mofo stubby bumper. Does anybody want to photochop it for me?

I know it's way old but I chopped it in Photoshop so I could see what it looked like. After I did the photo chop I thought I'd post it so other folks could get an idea. Cheers!

http://malocs.com/JK/images/forums/AEV-Chopped.jpg

Dr.Dirty
03-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I know it's way old but I chopped it in Photoshop so I could see what it looked like. After I did the photo chop I thought I'd post it so other folks could get an idea. Cheers!

http://malocs.com/JK/images/forums/AEV-Chopped.jpg

here is a guy that actually chopped his AEV and it looks sweet

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/should-i-chop-my-aev-bumper-773748/index4.html