first lift [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: first lift

f5driver
02-24-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm going to tackle my first lift today, 3" Black Diamond. Will I need spring compressors or can I get the axles low enough to slip the coils in? Thanks for the help.

BigO
02-24-2008, 08:36 AM
I installed a Full Traction 3" lift with heavy duty front coils and a spring compressor was not needed. The rear was easier than the front. Just make sure you disconnect things like the brake line brackets (frame and caliper), locker wiring clips (if you have a Rubicon), sway bar links, breather tubes, etc. so you'll get the maximum amount of axle droop. Keep a jack under the differential to support the axle. Also, when you install the coil on the front driver side, for example, put a floor jack under the axle on the passenger side and jack it up. This will cause the driver side to drop way down so you can get the coil in. Vice versa for the passenger side coil. A pry bar will come in handy too.

MichaelW
02-24-2008, 08:52 AM
I used my Hi-Lift Jack and jacked up each corner individually to install coil springs but I alos used my sprint compressors. They helped an awful lot! Come by and I'll loan you mine. :smokin:

Most parts stores that rents tools like Kragen, Autozone etc also rent spring compressors. :smokin:

PhilD
02-25-2008, 06:04 AM
You shouldn't need spring compressors, I've had my old 4" springs and current 4.5" springs in an out quite a few times without them. I've used spring compressors when I've been tool lazy to disconnect everything, but they are not needed.

You can buy some cheap spring compressors from Harbor Freight for $12 or so.

Alec W
02-25-2008, 07:16 AM
I did my 4 lift without them. The fronts were tricky but disconnection the driveshaft (at the diff) got the axle low enough to pry bar them in. I also found that zip tying the bump stop inside the spring and bolting it down later vs. trying to get the spring over it too made it easier.