Track Bar brackets and their purpose in life [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Track Bar brackets and their purpose in life

JeepDog
02-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Guys,

I have a final question about the Trackbar brackets both front and rear (that Poly uses in their Snergy 2 and 3 kits).

I know that Nth Dimension used them on their kits (in prototype stage looking at MichaelW's beast )

Why is that only Nth (when they were open) and Poly use a Track bar bracket in front? When most folks use just the Adj. trackbar etc...I know it has to do with Roll Center. But what exactly is that? I know it has to do with the suspension geometry and how it works in relation to everything else, but how come no one else does this?

When i lift my 07 Rubi Unlimited it will be with a 3" lift. And right now I am dead set on the Poly Lift. Just curious as my research shows that this system is quite possibly the Holy Grail of Suspension lifts for those of us that want a vehicle that works awesome on road as well as off road. And I personally want to do this right the very first time.

I won't lie I like the Clayton Kit too, but really like the Poly Kit. I just think (in my mind) that the Poly crew knows something and is not taking the cheaper way out. Is my gut right about this?

Thanks guys...

BigO
02-21-2008, 06:38 AM
I'm no suspension guru, but I've always been told that it's important to keep the geometry of the suspension as close to stock as possible. This includes the angle of the track bar.

I'm running an adjustable track bar up front. The heim joints on the bar will wear and get a little play in them over time. This can cause bump steer (a.k.a. death wobble). I kept my stock track bar and if I start having problems with the adjustable bar, I'm going to get Poly's front bracket and put my stock track bar back in. I wish I took this route at the beginning, but the brackets weren't available when I lifted my Jeep.

JeepDog
02-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Thanks!

I found this post on a different JK Board from PIG (I think with Poly Performance)

http://forum.jkboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=5290

The more i read and research the more and more I want to just spend the bucks and do Poly Performance lift. It just seems they seem to be more aware of what is going on and not taking the easy way out etc....meaning, let's do it right the first time, yeah it will cost more, but its right.

BigO
02-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks for that link. :smokin: It answered some questions I had too.

MichaelW
02-21-2008, 11:46 AM
meaning, let's do it right the first time, yeah it will cost more, but its right.we have a winner.:beer:

I too am not a suspension guru but I have done a fair amount of reading and on many different boards from low riders to classic cars and hot rods. I also have built some models to help me understand some of the concepts and to test out some ideas. And yes it is best to go with a company that engineers the design, not just "makes" it work or burns through a couple of engineers through the design of a product.

Good stuff isn't cheap. Cheap stuff isn't neccesarily safe. It is far wiser to spend more for a better engineered product than it is to buy it twice for half the price.

Not dissing anyone but I am definately impressed with Poly Performance products. I am building a hybrid lift that in the end will probably be all Poly Performance.

Rock Yacht
02-21-2008, 02:57 PM
An adjustable trackbar is a qick "fix". While it works to get the Jeep centered back over the axle (left to right) again after a lift on the JK with the way the steering linkage works as soon as you lift the Jeep the trackbar and draglink relationship alter. Ok for short lifts like a budget boost or OME coils - any higher and you will be prone to bumpsteer. The higher you go the worse it will get.

Enter the raised trackbar bracket for the axle end. We've been testing quite a few different designs and have found a winner, more to follow as we move to production on the pieces.

Bob

PhilD
02-21-2008, 06:02 PM
The more i read and research the more and more I want to just spend the bucks and do Poly Performance lift. It just seems they seem to be more aware of what is going on and not taking the easy way out etc....meaning, let's do it right the first time, yeah it will cost more, but its right.I started with Superlift 4" kit and slowly ending up removing bits of it that I was not happy with, until I reached the point that all the Superlift parts were gone. I have a 4.5" Poly kit and I'm very happy with it, and if it had been available when I lifted mine, I would have had no hesitation going with it, double that with hindsight.