Fordyce in Sept. [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Fordyce in Sept.

MBATF
08-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey guys

Just curious to know if anyone would be interested of running Fordyce with. I am hope to have time this year for it.

rubirobv
08-02-2009, 10:44 PM
I just pm'd a friend about a fordyce run. Looking to do all the winch hills if possible. We ran fordyce back in early May. Just to the first crossing and back out. I really want to go back. Count me in.

MBATF
08-03-2009, 06:24 PM
All the winch hills are pretty easy for the Unlimited JK except one...

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q374/MBATF/Fordyce%202008/DSC02307.jpg
http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q374/MBATF/Fordyce%202008/DSC02322.jpg

rubirobv
08-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Which winch hill is that? Great Pics. Fordyce seems more rugged than The Con. Now I'm getting psyched for Fordyce.

MBATF
08-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Winchhill #1.

I personally think Fordyce makes Rubicon look like a joke.

Just be sure to curve to the left at the first water crossing.

JeepThing
08-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey guys

Just curious to know if anyone would be interested of running Fordyce with. I am hope to have time this year for it.

Count me in!
Rob, it's looking like the September dates will work out better for me.

All the winch hills are pretty easy for the Unlimited JK except one...

X2! There are a couple of BIG rocks there in the WRONG places! Lot's of new rock rash.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr62/JeepThing_bucket/Fordyce%20Creek%20-%2024June2009/c576de62.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr62/JeepThing_bucket/Fordyce%20Creek%20-%2024June2009/c7a3ae25.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr62/JeepThing_bucket/Fordyce%20Creek%20-%2024June2009/a905c84f.jpg

Here's a video I found on Pirate. This line would get your attention!
YouTube - Fordyce Winch hill 1 7/25/09 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yW36EVJv_Q)

MBATF
08-03-2009, 10:51 PM
LMAO!!!

Thats Rick who picked a weird line.

JeepThing
08-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Don't know him, but it sure made for a great video!

rubirobv
08-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Nice pics Nate. Thats a big ledge. Did you make it? You own Fordyce anyway.

Are you guys interested in an overnighter or a day run. I go with the flow but I would personally like to camp one night and try to run the trail all the way through. I'll make any weekend work in September.

Nate, do you think Dave would be up for something like this?

MBATF
08-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Fordyce would be a 2 days run to be able to relax I think.

We did it in one day before and was exhausted to ****.:rasta:

JeepThing
08-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Nice pics Nate. Thats a big ledge. Did you make it? You own Fordyce anyway.

Are you guys interested in an overnighter or a day run. I go with the flow but I would personally like to camp one night and try to run the trail all the way through. I'll make any weekend work in September.

Nate, do you think Dave would be up for something like this?

That ledge is at the top of winch hill #1. I had a good line and crawled right up it. Getting to this point ... now that's another story. There were some big rocks that kept getting in the way!

I agree with you and MBATF, camping is the way to do it. Let's plan on it, that way we can take our time and enjoy it. I haven't talked with Dave in a little while, but he wanted to go camping with the girls sometime. I'll bet he'd be game. I'll give him a call and see what his schedule looks like. I should be able to do it any weekend except the 12th, I'll just need to check with work to be sure.

The water should be running lower in September. It looks like it is going to be a kayaker's heaven in August though. 500cfs! :shaking:
(from Pirate) I was told at the trek meeting they will be raising the flow back to 250 on Monday [10th]. Monday afternoon they are going to fly over the trail to make sure every one is off then raise the flow to 500 on Tuesday so they can drain the lake for their Dam project. I have no idea when it will come back down from 500.

They dropped the flow to 30cfs yesterday for Sierra Trek. I ran up there after work last night and went in at Committee to play around a little. The water didn't even come up to my hubs at that crossing. I couldn't believe it, I haven't ever been up there when the flow was that low. It would be nice if the crossing were that easy all the time!

MOAB4ME
08-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Dave, I don't think my Jeep is quite ready for Fordyce. Or is it that I'm not quite ready to sacrafice my Jeep to Fordyce yet?!;)

I thought this would be the year, but probably not.

Although those Alpha stickers may be all a Jeep needs?:D
On that note, I got some good shots on the Rubicon with the Alpha Ex stickers that you may want to use on your site. My friend turned out to be quite a good photographer.

MBATF
08-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Dave, I don't think my Jeep is quite ready for Fordyce. Or is it that I'm not quite ready to sacrafice my Jeep to Fordyce yet?!;)

I thought this would be the year, but probably not.

Although those Alpha stickers may be all a Jeep needs?:D
On that note, I got some good shots on the Rubicon with the Alpha Ex stickers that you may want to use on your site. My friend turned out to be quite a good photographer.

Dude. I think your rig is ready for it. I just have to find time for it!

rubirobv
08-11-2009, 05:59 PM
MBATF,

As far as getting a group of wheelers from norcal, on this board,to run fordyce, I think you're looking at it. Fordyce is Jeepthings back yard. I've been there three times and have yet to run the trail all the way through. It would be nice to throw a date out there if this is going to happen. September is only weeks away. Maybe we can get a few more guys to go.

JeepThing
08-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Rob, I talked with Dave (Red JK, not MBATF) tonight - he said to tell you hi. He wants to come and said to plan on him. Neither of us could do it the weekend of the 12th, but should be able to any other weekend. The water flows are going to be high this month (300-500), but I've heard they will be down in September. I'm not sure how soon they will be coming back down though, so maybe we should look at either the 3rd or 4th weekend in September. What works for everyone else? I have a friend in a CJ that may want to come too.

chromedome
08-12-2009, 04:54 AM
I'm watching this thread from Socal, the last couple of weeks in Sept. are looking open for me. I'm hoping to come up and join you guys!
That is if 35's aren't to small!!

JeepThing
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Too small ... na. Brigitta ran it last week with Sierra Trek on 35's, www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12938. Although after doing a quick run (more like a sprint!) through there last month following a buddy on 42's, I was sure feeling like 37's were too small!

Come on up!

rubirobv
08-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm open for the later part of September. I'd like to run without doors so I'll be hoping for low water flow. My 37s measure at 35.5 so basically running 35s. I have about 6" of lift which helps but the longarms and frame rails always take a pounding at Fordyce. I can see why some people don't like longarms on a JK.

Lets keep an eye on the flows and I'll keep the 19th and the 26th open.

Chromedome, it would be great to meet you. Hope you can make it. Did you make it to the Rubicon this year?

chromedome
08-13-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm open for the later part of September. I'd like to run without doors so I'll be hoping for low water flow. My 37s measure at 35.5 so basically running 35s. I have about 6" of lift which helps but the longarms and frame rails always take a pounding at Fordyce. I can see why some people don't like longarms on a JK.

Lets keep an eye on the flows and I'll keep the 19th and the 26th open.

Chromedome, it would be great to meet you. Hope you can make it. Did you make it to the Rubicon this year?

Not this year, I ran the 'con last year with some folks from Rubi owners forum. My 35's measure 33.75 in. I run a Rubicon Express 3.5 in kit. Could be a struggle but there's lots of armor!

wildandwilln
08-20-2009, 08:28 PM
I would say a strong maybe:D

MBATF
08-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Later part of the Sept sounds good to me. Somehow I did not look at my book when I throw out the suggestion and realized that I was pretty busy in late Aug - mid Sept. :bawling:

JeepThing
08-21-2009, 03:10 PM
It looks like we are starting to get a good group together. Let's firm up a date so everyone can make plans. It sounds like the later part of September works best for everyone, so what's everyone's vote ... the weekend of the 19th or 26th? I could go either weekend, but just need to schedule the time off.

It looks like the flows will be around 285cfs booth weekends. Sorry Rob ... I think that gets you a little wet if you're running without doors. :D

I don't know what everyone's schedules are like, especially those who have a little bit of a drive to get here, but it would be fun to go in late Friday afternoon, camp along the way somewhere and run the rest of the trail Saturday, camping at Meadow Lake (end of the trail - old Sierra Trek base camp) Saturday night. Then on Sunday, we could play around on the winch hills at the tail end of the trail and maybe get an earlier start for home. Just an idea, let me know what you guys think.

List Updated Aug. 24th

1. MBATF
2. RubiRobv
3. JeepThing
4. Dave (Red JK)
5. chromedome
6. wildandwilln - strong maybe
7. Eugene
8. Team Hundy
9. JKDinker
10. CyrusPura - maybe
11. Jeeper - maybe
12. MOAB4ME - maybe
13. ... next? :bounce:

Eugene
08-21-2009, 03:20 PM
If I can get my axle in by then count me in. Just got off the phone with Superior. Basically he said 'no problem' . I'll contact them again on Monday to finalize.

JeepThing
08-21-2009, 03:27 PM
If I can get my axle in by then count me in. Just got off the phone with Superior. Basically he said 'no problem' . I'll contact them again on Monday to finalize.

Pleeenty of time! It will be good to run Fordyce with you again. Glad to hear Superior standing behind their product like that. Especially since I'm running their gears and axels. :D

rubirobv
08-21-2009, 03:32 PM
My vote is for the weekend of the 26th.

Eugene
08-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Later part of the Sept sounds good to me. Somehow I did not look at my book when I throw out the suggestion and realized that I was pretty busy in late Aug - mid Sept. :bawling:

Just ask your boss for some time off.:D

MBATF
08-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Just ask your boss for some time off.:D

What boss!? Oh wait.... me, myself & I :grinpimp:

wildandwilln
08-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Just let me know when guys and I will do my best to make it:grinpimp:

JKDinker
08-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Don't forget me! I'm in. I just need to check the kids sports schedule. :beer:

wildandwilln
08-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Don't forget me! I'm in. I just need to check the kids sports schedule. :beer:

Whats up Larry :beer: I will see you there:D

CyrusPura
08-23-2009, 01:09 PM
I might be able to make it, depending on my school schedule... I'll keep checking back here. Fordyce would be a sweet run.

100dollarman
08-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Team HUNDY is "IN" for the weekend of the 26th!:bounce:

I plan on trailering the JK up on Friday the 25th, camping fri and sat nite- drive home Sunday.

Cant wait!!!:beer:

rubirobv
08-23-2009, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=I don't know what everyone's schedules are like, especially those who have a little bit of a drive to get here, but it would be fun to go in late Friday afternoon, camp along the way somewhere and run the rest of the trail Saturday, camping at Meadow Lake (end of the trail - old Sierra Trek base camp) Saturday night. Then on Sunday, we could play around on the winch hills at the tail end of the trail and maybe get an earlier start for home. Just an idea, let me know what you guys think.

1. MBATF
2. RubiRobv
3. JeepThing
4. Dave (Red JK)
5. chromedome
6. wildandwilln - strong maybe
7. Eugene
8. Team Hundy
9. JKDinker
10. CyrusPura - maybe

11. ...next?:bounce:[/QUOTE]

edit by rubirobv

I like this plan. I may have to work a full day on friday which puts me at the trailhead around 8:00 pm. Best case, I work 1/2 day on friday and get to the trail head by 2:30 pm and wheel to camp. I could try for the day off but have to put in for it now. That's why I need a firm date for the weekend of the 26th. If anyone else is arriving late on Friday, let me know and we can have a group of late arrivals wheel in together. Night wheeling is cool anyway. I think JeepThing and MBATF know the trail as well as any one. What do you think?

100dollarman
08-23-2009, 03:48 PM
edit by rubirobv

I like this plan. I may have to work a full day on friday which puts me at the trailhead around 8:00 pm. Best case, I work 1/2 day on friday and get to the trail head by 2:30 pm and wheel to camp. I could try for the day off but have to put in for it now. That's why I need a firm date for the weekend of the 26th. If anyone else is arriving late on Friday, let me know and we can have a group of late arrivals wheel in together. Night wheeling is cool anyway. I think JeepThing and MBATF know the trail as well as any one. What do you think?

Sounds good to me!

wildandwilln
08-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Sounds good to me....now I just need to not break anything:smokin:

JeepThing
08-23-2009, 07:04 PM
It looks like we've got a date for the weekend of the 26th. :bounce: Can't wait!

JKDinker and CyrunPura hope you can make it. Hundy, glad you're coming ... it will ge great to finally meet Team HUNDY.

If anyone else is arriving late on Friday, let me know and we can have a group of late arrivals wheel in together. Night wheeling is cool anyway. I think JeepThing and MBATF know the trail as well as any one. What do you think?

This sounds like a good idea Rob. Depending on when everyone is coming, we'll figure out how far in we want to camp. If we have a group coming in later Friday or even some coming in early Saturday am, we may not want to go in too far. We can just play it by ear and see when everyone will be coming.

MOAB4ME
08-24-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm a maybe, but I'm at the mercy of my work boss who has set the schedule for September already(I haven't seen it yet though) and my home boss;)

Just letting you know I'm lurking on and may jump in at the last minute!

JeepThing
08-24-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm a maybe, but I'm at the mercy of my work boss who has set the schedule for September already(I haven't seen it yet though) and my home boss;)

Just letting you know I'm lurking on and may jump in at the last minute!

lurking ... lurking ... jumping ... RUBICON TESTED-MOAB APPROVED-FORDYCE ABUSED!! :D

Good luck with the boss(es)

chromedome
08-25-2009, 06:54 AM
It's on my calendar! Let's hope it can stay there. Hundy, Maybe I'll catch up with you for the northbound on Friday. Which way you goin', 99 or 395?

rubirobv
08-25-2009, 04:23 PM
It's on my calendar! Let's hope it can stay there. Hundy, Maybe I'll catch up with you for the northbound on Friday. Which way you goin', 99 or 395?

Hundy's towing. He might have room on the 30' gooseneck. He towed Wood's jeep to the Rubicon. Just sayin.

Eugene
08-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Spoke to Superior this morning. Putting a new inner axle in a box and shipping it out today:). Won't replace the outer(stub) axle because he said it is not broken (true) and that it still works (true) plus he was out of stub axle(hmmmm?). So looks like I'll be putting in some axles this next weekend.
........Rob I'll give youi a call to see if you want to help/watch?......
Anybody have a line on CTM u-joints. Was thinking RCV cv joints but kind of pricey. Or is anybody interested in a used set of Superior chromos? Let me know:grinpimp:

MBATF
08-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Holly crap. This list is growing fast!!!

Eugene
09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
:bounce: Just received my replacement axle from Superior. New seal and u-joint to boot:grinpimp: Will try to put it in on Sunday. Rob you here? I'll be in touch to see if you want to help.

rubirobv
09-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Roger

JeepThing
09-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Anyone bringing kids?

I'll have two of my girls with me. Dave will have his daughter and possibly a friend.

rubirobv
09-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Not bringing the kids on this one.

chromedome
09-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Flow rate was 276 cfs yesterday....I'm guessing that's still too high?

rubirobv
09-18-2009, 06:55 PM

Waiting to here from JeepThing. 276 cfs has me concerned.

Riverkid
09-18-2009, 06:55 PM

Get some Chromie!!!:beer:

rubirobv
09-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Don't know who's still in but JeepThing and I have decided to postpone Fordyce until the creek flow drops to a reasonable level. We are heading to the Rubicon instead. The plan is to meet friday late afternoon. Wheel in to ellis and camp . Saturday, wheel to the springs and camp there. Then out to tahoe on sunday. Hopefully have enough time to get home early that night.

Post up if you're interested

Eugene
09-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Rob, so it is definetely the Rubicon. I took Friday off so maybe I'll meet you there. Just finished fixing my tires. I did a valve stem relocation job so I should be past breaking those damn things. I patched the tire I cut last trip so now I have a good spare. Speaking of tires did you get that one from Deer Creek fixed?. Are you going to tow this trip, let me know. Keep me up to date but as of now I am still in:)

chromedome
09-20-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm still in! My Father-in-law will be my passenger. My mother-in-law would like us to be home for brother-in-laws birthday on Sunday night 6pm (in Folsom). I told her we'd make every effort but no guarantees!

JeepThing
09-20-2009, 10:42 PM
In! Bummed about Fordyce, but not bad to have the Rubicon as a second choice to fall back on. :D Chromedome, glad you're still coming up.

PG&E will be keeping the flow around 280 until the first part of October and then the flow will be WAY down and the water crossings will not be an issue. Looking forward to a Fordyce run in October with whoever wants to go.

JeepThing
09-21-2009, 03:51 PM
I just talked with Dave (red JK) and he's in for the Rubicon.

Fordyce update ... 305cfs this afternoon :shaking:

From Pirate this weekend
There is only 44 feet of water in Fordyce right now and they're still draining at a high rate for another couple of weeks.

wildandwilln
09-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Count me out as well guys. :bawling:

JKDinker
09-22-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm out guys! My sons got football on Saturday and daughter has softball tournament. We have to go two different directions or I would be in. The softball, was her coaches last friggin minute decision. Wasn't on the schedule! :pissed: Sorry would have liked to meet you all and wheel and drink some :beer::beer::beer: with you. Next time!

JeepThing
09-24-2009, 05:48 PM
wildandwilln, JKDinker sorry you can't make it. Would have been fun to meet you guys and wheel the 'Con together ... Fordyce next month?? I'm planning on it. The flows were at 300 today, but will be below 50 here in the next couple of weeks.

It looks like we've got 5 of us going in at Loon Lake tomorrow. If anyone decides last minute to join us, we're meeting at Loon Lake staging area at 4:30 (chromedome will be there at 5:00 and we won't leave without you :D) and going into Ellis Creek to camp. CB ch. 7.

Should be an awesome weekend!!

Eugene
09-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Arrghhh!! :bawling: Count me out. Drove the Jeep to work and on the way home I heard a clicking noise coming from the u-joint that I just replaced. Checked it out and one of the caps is broken. I might have cracked it when I installed it, but now it has a split running all the way across. I'm not going to even try to rush repair it (I have a spare Pep Boys u-joint) because I don't want to have my shakedown run be on the Rubicon. And I was looking forwards to campfires. Have fun I'll be with you in spirit:)

100dollarman
09-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Team Hundy is out---- seems like we just did the Rubicon! Time flies!

You all have a great time and be safe!!!

We'll catch ya on the flip-flop!:beer:

chromedome
09-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Currently NO FIRES including stoves are permitted in the El Dorado National Forest! Looks like its gonna be cold meals. Anyone got any MRE's?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/conditions/fire-restrictions/index.shtml

Hundy, WTF? Bummer...

JT We'll try to be there by 4:30!

Eugene
09-24-2009, 10:17 PM
No stoves? That sucks:thefinger:. Rob bring lots of sardines.:grinpimp:

chromedome
09-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah that didn't sound right to me either. I called the forest service this morning and camp stoves are OK if you have a fire permit. No open fires though.

JeepThing
09-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Arrghhh!! :bawling: Count me out. Drove the Jeep to work and on the way home I heard a clicking noise coming from the u-joint that I just replaced.

Sonofa!! Sorry you're not going to make it, we'll miss ya.

We'll catch ya on the flip-flop!:beer:

The flip-flop is next month on Fordyce when the water is down. Hope you can make it.

Yeah that didn't sound right to me either. I called the forest service this morning and camp stoves are OK if you have a fire permit. No open fires though.

You can get a permit from the forest service online at http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/passespermits/campfire_permit/campfire-index.html, just answer a couple of quick questions and print it out. This is good for most of the state, except for some areas in SoCal where they have their "own agenda" as a local Ranger told me.

See ya at 4:30!

MBATF
09-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Sounds like I have to back out of my own run. LOL

Having delay on closing the escrow of teh new town house I am buying and which delayed bunch other stuffs that needed to be done... including getting my rig's rear ended repair... :thefinger:

sorry guys I was looking forward to meet you all.:bawling:

JeepThing
09-30-2009, 09:44 AM
MBATF, sorry you couldn't make it. Good luck with the closing, I hope everything works out for you. We had four JK's on the Rubicon and had a GREAT time! Rubirobv has posted up pictures of the trip at, http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15651 , and I'll get some of mine up later today. We missed everyone who couldn't make it.

We are planning on doing a Fordyce run in October when the water levels are lower. I'll post up a thread for that trip in the NorCal section so everyone can start making plans.

JeepThing
10-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Here's the thread for the October run, http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15783.

MBATF
10-12-2009, 01:03 AM
The escrow still not closed... the freaking HOA is playing game with me talking about there is a lien against that property... dude... its a foreclosure property its in the CCnR code book... these people need to read the rules....

arggg everything are getting delayed and more and more problem is causing it to get worst...

Sorry had to vent...

JIMBOX
10-12-2009, 06:35 AM
:shaking: Yo MBATF, ESCROW is like the Normandy invasion, anything can change the final date (secret)

The escrow still not closed... the freaking HOA is playing game with me talking about there is a lien against that property... dude... its a foreclosure property its in the CCnR code book... these people need to read the rules....

arggg everything are getting delayed and more and more problem is causing it to get worst...

Sorry had to vent...

With my last one, I delt directly (phone/fax/email) with the title company and found out the house wasn't bank owned, it was FANNIEMAE-

So, if you're using a realtor, you can do almost everything by email/phone, the financial world will accept email signatures on just about all subjects except FINAL-TITLE, at least thats how mine worked thru Nevada

Good luck

(oooops), Dave, I forgot the pic of your decal on the rear window

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm83/jimbowby/008-1.jpg
:smokin: JIMBO

MBATF
10-16-2009, 03:08 PM
:shaking: Yo MBATF, ESCROW is like the Normandy invasion, anything can change the final date (secret)

With my last one, I delt directly (phone/fax/email) with the title company and found out the house wasn't bank owned, it was FANNIEMAE-

So, if you're using a realtor, you can do almost everything by email/phone, the financial world will accept email signatures on just about all subjects except FINAL-TITLE, at least thats how mine worked thru Nevada

Good luck

(oooops), Dave, I forgot the pic of your decal on the rear window

:smokin: JIMBO

DUde nice looking sticker!!!!! did you feel any HP gain??? :grinpimp:

Yeah I mean that is what I have been doing. Electronic signatures. But just that the HOA been playing games with me and delaying teh close of escrow. Which now I am still having problem.

JIMBOX
10-17-2009, 07:57 AM
:) Heh Heh, No David, no HP gain, but

DUde nice looking sticker!!!!! did you feel any HP gain??? :grinpimp:

Yeah I mean that is what I have been doing. Electronic signatures. But just that the HOA been playing games with me and delaying teh close of escrow. Which now I am still having problem.

I had an Indian at Pyramid Lake, ask me if he could go with me on my expedition to ALPHA !!

:grinpimp::jeep2: JIMBO