Voided JK Warranty [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Voided JK Warranty

SORA JK
02-18-2008, 05:38 PM
So I did my weekly drive-by drool fest at my local Jeep dealer and was approached by my ever-so-friendly Jeep salesman who knows my face all too well. I decided to ask him the question I brought up on here a week or two ago about the lifetime powertrain being voided by lifts or tires.

He told me that anything above 3 inches of lift will void the warranty indefinitely! Even if it is dealer installed!!

Can anyone confirm this? Seems a little frivolous to me...first of all, how will they know if it's 3 inches, 4 or 5? And it's not like powertrain items are being modified on general suspension work. This is really troubling me and if anyone has other info I'd love to hear it. Any thoughts?

Bigjerm
02-18-2008, 07:22 PM
lord i hope not otherwise the Dealer i bought my Jeep from is gonna have problems. I know when I bought mine it had BB and 35's they had others with 3" and 4" lifts on them that were new Jeeps, not used.

SORA JK
02-18-2008, 07:37 PM
lord i hope not otherwise the Dealer i bought my Jeep from is gonna have problems. I know when I bought mine it had BB and 35's they had others with 3" and 4" lifts on them that were new Jeeps, not used.

Well let me know if they have anything to say about that. I want to get all the info I can....I still want one like crazy but I want to avoid little snags like this.

C-rog
02-18-2008, 07:53 PM
So I did my weekly drive-by drool fest at my local Jeep dealer and was approached by my ever-so-friendly Jeep salesman who knows my face all too well. I decided to ask him the question I brought up on here a week or two ago about the lifetime powertrain being voided by lifts or tires.

He told me that anything above 3 inches of lift will void the warranty indefinitely! Even if it is dealer installed!!

Can anyone confirm this? Seems a little frivolous to me...first of all, how will they know if it's 3 inches, 4 or 5? And it's not like powertrain items are being modified on general suspension work. This is really troubling me and if anyone has other info I'd love to hear it. Any thoughts?

Without taking the time to read everyones replies the dealer told me 3inches and 33in tire both have to be met.

SORA JK
02-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Without taking the time to read everyones replies the dealer told me 3inches and 33in tire both have to be met.

What part of the country are you in?

igofshn
02-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Have you ever heard of the magnusson-moss act. Do a google search. it is a law that says you can legally modify your vehicle and the manufacturer must prove that your mods caused a problem. Have the dealer show you in writing where it says 3 inches is all you can lift, then tell him you are familiar with the magnusson-moss act and I bet he shuts up real fast. LIFTS DO NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

jdemonto
02-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Well let me know if they have anything to say about that. I want to get all the info I can....I still want one like crazy but I want to avoid little snags like this.

There are jeep friendly dealers out there...Not all are...So what you will hear will vary.

We have been installing Lifts for 5 years and a 3" lift will not void your warranty. The parts replaced will not have factory warranty on them. There is no tire size limitation, However if the dealer can say those tires caused the front U joint to explode..Probably not going to be covered.

BTW we use 3" lfts and 35's on all of our Jeep builds

Jason

SORA JK
02-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah I would be curious to reference the magnusson-moss act, I've been familiar with this in insurance, but I wasn't sure as to what kinds of "limitations" they could impose on it.

In reply to jdemonto, that makes me feel a lot better. I'm definitely going to search around. It's comforting to know you guys are doing that type of work with not many limitations to your customers. What kind of trimming are you guys doing to clear those 35's?

jdemonto
02-21-2008, 08:30 AM
We are not trimming a thing! One of our requirements on Jeep builds we ran into long ago with the KJ;s was not to trim a new factory vehicle for ANY modification. We use the Tera Flex 3" which seems like 37's would fit with a bit of trimming or we use the 2.5" BB and again no trimming for 35's

Jason

md_rubi
02-21-2008, 01:07 PM
some dealers are pain but what i have been told is that any parts replaced that is not factory voids the warranty for that part and that part only.

nam6869usmc
02-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Here at Brenners Dealership Central Pa., they said 2 1/2" lift with 33's was the limit.....I guess I'll listen.

igofshn
02-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Here at Brenners Dealership Central Pa., they said 2 1/2" lift with 33's was the limit.....I guess I'll listen.
Make them put it in writing. There word isn't good enough.

SORA JK
02-22-2008, 12:03 AM
We are not trimming a thing! One of our requirements on Jeep builds we ran into long ago with the KJ;s was not to trim a new factory vehicle for ANY modification. We use the Tera Flex 3" which seems like 37's would fit with a bit of trimming or we use the 2.5" BB and again no trimming for 35's

Jason

That's awesome. I'm impressed;)

SORA JK
02-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Make them put it in writing. There word isn't good enough.

I completely agree. I got screwed by a dealer with my fiance's car once and one time only....I will always be on the look out now.

Roy Nash
02-22-2008, 05:57 PM
This is a tiny off the subject:
Why do see so often that JK owners are changing wheels and not just adding a bit of lift and 33's? I'm somewhat aware of offset. But with just a 2" or 2.5" BB and going to 33's would I still need new wheels? (Just paid a hefty premium for the 17" cast aluminum tire and wheels on the Preferred Options!) Thanks

jdemonto
02-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Why do see so often that JK owners are changing wheels and not just adding a bit of lift and 33's? I'm somewhat aware of offset. But with just a 2" or 2.5" BB and going to 33's would I still need new wheels? (Just paid a hefty premium for the 17" cast aluminum tire and wheels on the Preferred Options!) Thanks

Most likely because its a Jeep.....

The second reason would be, OFFSET!

Jason

'drack
02-24-2008, 08:45 AM
I bought mine before the lifetime powertrain thing, so it really doesn't apply to me, but isn't a prerequisite for maintaining the warranty something along the lines that all service has to be documented and the vehicle has to go into the dealership for 'x amount of miles inspections'? Thought I remembered reading something along those lines back when the offer was announced.....which would make sense because it'd give them one more out to voiding the warranty. Personally I'd find it to be more of a pain than it's worth to have to go in and get oil changes, those recommended mileage check ups, and what not done by them (I like doing my own work)....not to mention you'll most likely be getting charged for those things and losing coin of the 'free' lifetime warranty. Just mentioning this because it could be something that's easily overlooked if you're primary concern is lift/tires/mods voiding it, might be worth looking into.

Guess I lost all confidence in my dealership after I asked them to reflash mine for 32's/4.10's before I picked it up. When I got there and asked about it, he looked at me like I had three heads and said they couldn't do it because it'd void the warranty :laughing:.

'drack
02-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Why do see so often that JK owners are changing wheels and not just adding a bit of lift and 33's?

Yeah, depending on how wide the new tires are going to be, you can put as much lift on it as you want, but it'll still rub at full turn. The new wheels eliminate this, whereas a lift eliminates mashing the tires into the fender/flares/flenders (whatever they are) when flexing.

Landshark
02-24-2008, 07:50 PM
no matter what the dealer says, in the warranty book you got with your JEEP it says that the only thing that will completely void your warranty is tampering with the odometer in any way. that said, anything you install on your JEEP other than what came on it at the time of purchase is not covered, also if a non-covered componant damages an existing part, the existing part is not covered. however, if it is a DC (Diamler Chrysler) or Mopar part installed by the dealer it is covered under your existing (at time of purchase) warranty. its all in the warranty book of which I read repeatedly when I was/am considering purchasing after market parts and accessories. however it does not say anything about the dealer installing non DC/Mopar parts. I guess that would be where the magnusson-moss act comes in.

jdemonto
02-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I bought mine before the lifetime powertrain thing, so it really doesn't apply to me, but isn't a prerequisite for maintaining the warranty something along the lines that all service has to be documented and the vehicle has to go into the dealership for 'x amount of miles inspections'? Thought I remembered reading something along those lines back when the offer was announced.....which would make sense because it'd give them one more out to voiding the warranty. Personally I'd find it to be more of a pain than it's worth to have to go in and get oil changes, those recommended mileage check ups, and what not done by them (I like doing my own work)....not to mention you'll most likely be getting charged for those things and losing coin of the 'free' lifetime warranty. Just mentioning this because it could be something that's easily overlooked if you're primary concern is lift/tires/mods voiding it, might be worth looking into.

Guess I lost all confidence in my dealership after I asked them to reflash mine for 32's/4.10's before I picked it up. When I got there and asked about it, he looked at me like I had three heads and said they couldn't do it because it'd void the warranty :laughing:.

We do this all the time??? Sounds like an excuse to me

Jason

usmcdoc14
02-27-2008, 10:49 AM
I have the lifetime warranty on my powertrain.

so when my engine/trans/t-case die I would like the dealer to PROVE that its the fault of my lift or tires.
I wish them good luck :laughing:

My dealer LOVES me and likes having me go do oil changes so they can park it near the non-lifted ones :laughing: (they do 4" lifts 33/35's for customers)

MossMan
02-28-2008, 07:47 AM
We do this all the time??? Sounds like an excuse to me

Jason

nother off topic......my dealer told me they couldn't reflash for tire size. Are they wrong?

skibum
02-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Dealer can reflash for tire size up to 32". Beyond that, and you will need a programmer from Hypertech or other.

waynencc
08-07-2008, 02:59 PM
screw the dealerships! they are charging over $9,000 for a lift/tires (4inches skyjacker, 33"mts), anyway im getting my lift installed the same place they do theirs for only 2500 with everything the dealer has...and they had the balls to tell me they would void my warranty if i didnt pay the dealership to do it...long story short i told them to go phuck themselves im not going there anymore!

StubEXrube
08-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Ive said it before and Ill say it again . Dealerships ( the bad ones ) literally PREY on the consumers ignorance. About half of what spews outta their mouths is TOTALLY their opinion, but they will go to the ends of the earth to make someone believe it as FACT. You sometimes must challenge them to prove their findings and most of us dont want to do that because we are also usually going to them without (ourselves) knowing the facts (and also we so often dont want to piss them off because we are all fairly limited to HAVING to use them. Not like most of us can just say "well screw you...I'm goin to one of the other 6 dealerships down the road...)

bodyguy
08-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Ive said it before and Ill say it again . Dealerships ( the bad ones ) literally PREY on the consumers ignorance. About half of what spews outta their mouths is TOTALLY their opinion, but they will go to the ends of the earth to make someone believe it as FACT. You sometimes must challenge them to prove their findings and most of us dont want to do that because we are also usually going to them without (ourselves) knowing the facts (and also we so often dont want to piss them off because we are all fairly limited to HAVING to use them. Not like most of us can just say "well screw you...I'm goin to one of the other 6 dealerships down the road...)

Yeah, I would like to see you challenge "She-ra" at the dodge dealership

StubEXrube
08-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Had to think for a second...Now I cant stop:laughing2:...