Bon Giorno from Norfolk, VA [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Bon Giorno from Norfolk, VA

Dustoff '68
02-17-2008, 11:41 AM
First post...nice forum. I'm on my 9th Jeep...currently own a 2008Wrangler X 2 door, and a 2007 Liberty Sport... the Liberty has the off road package (skids), and the JK has the following mods (I'm done with the JK...no more mods needed):

BFG 285x70x 17 M/T KM2
Bilstein Shocks
Skid Row front skid plate
Fox Racing Steering stabilizer
Magna Flow Exhaust
Rubicon (MOPAR) Rock Rails

No lift needed...the BFG's are less than an inch taller and wider, and removing the cheap plastic air dam and replacing it with the Skid Row skid plate eliminates any chance for rubbing; the Bilstein shocks gave the JK a lift of about one inch (a bonus, I suppose).

strobelpd
02-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Welcome, seems like you know what you want done with your jeep. How do the bilsteins compare vs. the stock, dirt/road etc?

Dustoff '68
02-18-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure how much better the Bilsteins are, since I changed out the OEM shocks at 500 miles...they do ride a bit "harsher", but nothing like the OME shocks on a friend's JK...my mods are only to address what I feel are sub-standard OEM parts (except for the OEM Goodyear which I had sold before I picked up my Jeep...had to have the new BFG KM2's). The steering stabilizer from Jeep is cheapo, and the plastic air damn is fine if you only drive highway and never go in deep snow, off roading, or on the beach. As for the Bilstein's...I have used that brand for virtually every car/truck/SUV I have owned.

I see you have 20 in...retirement on the horizon?

MichaelW
02-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Bon Jovi to you to!

Welcome to the forum!

skibum
02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Welcome from a fellow New Englander. :)

Dustoff '68
02-18-2008, 03:29 PM
....I'm in Norfolk, VA now...tired of the snow...will be back in Bangor in June

skibum
02-18-2008, 03:44 PM

I'm getting tired of it myself. I've got better than four feet in my front yard right now and it's been raining for almost a full day. Where the snow slides off my metal roof it's almost six feet deep. I guess spending your winters in VA makes you smarter than me. :D

BTW, your screen name would lead a person to believe that you're one of those seriously disturbed individuals that thinks riding around in a helicopter is a sane thing to do. As a former USAF pilot (fixed wing), I know for a fact that flying in helicopters is an unnatural act. :laughing2: If I'm wrong about your screen name please ignore the preceding paragraph. :D

MichaelW
02-18-2008, 04:52 PM
BTW, your screen name would lead a person to believe that you're one of those seriously disturbed individuals that thinks riding around in a helicopter is a sane thing to do. As a former USAF pilot (fixed wing), I know for a fact that flying in helicopters is an unnatural act. :laughing2: If I'm wrong about your screen name please ignore the preceding paragraph. :DMy chauffers always said if you have to flare to land you must also have to squat to pee. :laughing2:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Dustoff '68
02-18-2008, 10:56 PM
...kinda' guy...just ask my wife or any other paramour who knew me:innocent:...yes...I flew UH1-D for the 4th Avn Bde in Pleiku...my second tour, I transitioned into AH-1B's...that, my friend, was some seriously disturbing activity...now, let me go squat and take a leak:D

Big Chris
02-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Welcome from Nh

skibum
02-19-2008, 04:20 PM
My chauffers always said if you have to flare to land you must also have to squat to pee. :laughing2:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Funny, we always said there are to types of aircraft............fighters and targets. :thefinger:

skibum
02-19-2008, 04:22 PM
...kinda' guy...just ask my wife or any other paramour who knew me:innocent:...yes...I flew UH1-D for the 4th Avn Bde in Pleiku...my second tour, I transitioned into AH-1B's...that, my friend, was some seriously disturbing activity...now, let me go squat and take a leak:D

Despite any BS to the contrary, anybody who flies anything is alright in my book. My grandfather was a B-24 pilot in WWII, my father had over 200 missions in B-52s over the Nam and I am a former T-37, T-38 and F-111 driver.

usmcdoc14
02-27-2008, 10:01 AM

If you see a green 4 door with plates "1 Doc14" thats me :D
welcome to the board

nam6869usmc
02-28-2008, 04:52 AM

Welcome aboard "Nam Vet".... you definitely had one of the most nastiest jobs in the Nam, my hats off to you:beer:. Me, 3rd Marines Dec67 thru Aug 69 (2 tours) up in the "Leatherneck Square" DMZ. Was with a C.A.G. (Combined Action Group) >Quang Tri (Dec67-April68)....
(3rd Tanks) >Leatherneck Square(May68-Aug69).

Nice map below....WoW! looking at this map = "Flash Back City"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/nam676869/mapC_prov.jpg

Dustoff '68
02-28-2008, 01:13 PM
....Welcome home 6869USMC...I was in II Corps with the 4th Aviation Brigade...USMC doc....are you at Little Creek or NOB...will look for your Jeep...me, Red Rock 2 door X:)

P.S. 6869....nastiest job was and always will be the grunt on the ground and the medics/corpmen who serve them...my hats off to you and those like you...