Axle hop [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Axle hop

CJ7nvrstk
02-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Had the new JK out in the sand the other day and was getting some serious axle hop from the front axle while climbing a soft sand hill. :bawling: I was very surprised, thinking I wouldn't get that with the linked front end. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what might be the cause and possible solution to remedy this. I think we all know by now that axle hop is not good.

igofshn
02-16-2008, 07:09 PM
If you are getting axle hop, you have way too much air in your tires. How much were you running??

CJ7nvrstk
02-17-2008, 05:14 AM
I was at 12 PSI.

PhilD
02-17-2008, 01:51 PM
You can still get axle hop with low psi in sand if you let the wheels spin fast. Some firmer shocks may help, but first I'd try different techniques, ie: Hi vs Lo, Locked vs Unlocked, the various ESP options, etc.

Also depending on the tires, 12 psi may not be low enough. My old Irok sidewalls barely flexed at 12.

CJ7nvrstk
02-18-2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. As this is my first Jeep without leaf springs, I didn't think I was going to have to deal with this problem. I'm used to axle wrap with leaf springs but figured with the coils and all I wouldn't get the hpping. I'm thinking it might be the soft spring rates of the stock springs.

I hear u on the sidewall flex of Iroks. The ones on my CJ I regularly run at 8 PSI and there is hardly andy sidewall flex on the bias ply.

That 12 psi was on the stocker 225/75r16's and there was plenty of squat. Was afraid to take them down any more.

toadontheroad
02-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Couple weeks ago I was on a snow run and in the harder fluff I was getting axel wrap in the rear (can you do that with coils?) I found if I gradually got off the clutch it was smooth but if I dropped it quickly it would begin flopping and would not stop until I stopped, changed gears or just left the clutch in...:shaking: I figured it was my ineptness in the white.