Airaid Intake with Outerwears pre-filter [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Airaid Intake with Outerwears pre-filter

pacphnmn
02-14-2008, 03:42 PM
I am looking into installing a Airaid intake with the Outerwears pre-filter but that poses a question: How exactly does the Outerwears pre-filter work against water?:confused: And wouldn't it restrict normal airflow when it is on? I tried looking into it on the web but would keep getting routed to a web site to purchase the product. :shaking:

Let me know if anyone has ideas on how this works or where I can look it up.

Zonk 1/75
02-14-2008, 04:32 PM
From the net.........

Will adding a Pre-filter reduce my airflow or horsepower? -
Adding an Outerwears Pre-Filter will not have any significant reduction in airflow (independent lab test results available upon request). Most Performance air filters allow more air in than the engine can actually handle. In fact, an Outwears pre-filter keeps your primary filter cleaner for a longer period of time allowing your engine the ability to sustain its original airflow and horsepower for an extended amount of miles and time. Many of our customers claim they have also noticed an improvement in fuel efficiency. This may simply be attributed to the fact that they are keeping their air filter cleaner.

Test results show no significant loss of airflow
Horsepower levels are maintained longer due to cleaner primary filters

PhilD
02-14-2008, 07:14 PM
I have an Airaid with an Outerwears pre filter. I used to use them on my Seadoos and they worked great. They are treated with a water repellent, similar to the stuff used on tents etc, that will prevent drops/splashes/spray/etc from penetrating the filter. If it was totally submerged the vacuum from the intake would no doubt pull water through it.

The water repellent treatment does not last forever though, and they need replacing every few years. They say to replace them every year I think, but I've found that they always last longer than that. You can easily test to see if it is still working by dropping a couple of drops of water on it, if it beads then it is working, if it soaks into the mesh then it needs replacing.

The mesh is very fine and keeps debris/dust/dirt/etc off the filter. The mesh is not so fine that it causes any noticeable restriction on air flow, but will help keep the filter clean, thus better flowing.

For what they cost it is well worth adding one in my view.

skibum
02-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Phil is absolutely right. The prefilter is only going to keep out small amounts of water. I've used similar setups on offroad racing motorcycles for years and trust me, hydrolocked is hydrolocked. If you submerge this thing the engine will be scrap. If you're looking for serious deep water protection, buy a snorkel.

pacphnmn
02-15-2008, 03:14 PM
No, I am not looking to do any serious deep water drudging (especially living in AZ), I only want to have some protection for those "splash" moments where it might have come up into the air intake.

Thanks for your help guys!

jeepik
02-16-2008, 05:22 PM
i have an airaid with the Airaid outer pre filter(similiar to the outerweras) works great, no complaints

JerzeyJeeper
02-19-2008, 07:22 PM
i have an airaid with the Airaid outer pre filter(similiar to the outerweras) works great, no complaints
I have the same setup...it's been working great for me this past month so far...almost bought the Outerwears but I figured I'd "play it safe" by staying with the same manufacturer...

armydadx
03-16-2008, 07:04 PM
I also got the airaid intake, and was trying to figure out how to keep the mud off the filter when out in the mud, i shall look into this contraption, thanks y'all