Rock Rails [Archive] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

: Rock Rails

Steve-UK
02-14-2008, 03:36 PM
I am looking to build a set of rock rails for my 4 door, as shipping them over here to the UK is very expensive as they are over size freight.

My questions is do I design them to mount to the frame or to the body, I like the look of the Pure Jeep items, but I am open to suggestions.

skibum
02-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I've looked at several aftermarket sliders and my preference is to mount to the frame. It seems to me that this would take a little more abuse as the frame material is significantly heavier than the body. Also, the idea of drilling into the body does not appeal to me (particularly in view of the amount of salt we use on the roads around here). Of those I have seen, Shrockworks is the one I would chose given unlimited funds. Unfortunately, since I don't have unlimited funds, I will probably end up with some stock Rubicon takeoffs when someone else upgrades. :)

NE Wrangling
02-15-2008, 07:46 AM
My prefrence is the frame also. Also the steps provide value preventing the sides of the tub getting wacked. I like the Pure jeep, Smittybilt and Shrockworks versions. I only wish I had the equipment to build my own.

John L
02-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Go with a frame mount. I smacked mine pretty hard and was glad they were on the frame instead of the body.

PhilD
02-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Either way will work well if done it right, just don't do both ;)